Any other Tasker users out there?

This is a discussion on Any other Tasker users out there? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; I just had a breakthrough with this application and figured some things out but one thing that I can't seem to figure out is how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any other Tasker users out there?

Any other Tasker users out there?

I just had a breakthrough with this application and figured some things out but one thing that I can't seem to figure out is how to start a slideshow when my Nexus one is docked.

So far I've figured out how to turn on the GPS when Camera, Maps, Places applications are turned on. (thanks lifehacker)

I've also created context that silences all the notifications when I put the phone face down (thanks lifehacker).

The one I'm proudest of so far is a profile that silences all the notifications, turns the screen to it's lowest setting, turns off the pulse notifications (trackball lighting up) and starts my alarm gentle alarm when I put the phone in it's dock starting at 8 pm and ending at 7 am. I've got it starting a little later on the weekends. The only thing I need to figure with this profile is how to allow certain callers to ring through.

I like the app. I'd have to say it's my second favorite application. First is the tricorder.

Anyone got this figured out?

How about a setup that you are particularly proud of.

Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Ironzey View Post
    So far I've figured out how to turn on the GPS when Camera, Maps, Places applications are turned on. (thanks lifehacker)
    FYI, this is the default behavior if you leave the GPS enabled. (thanks google).

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    FYI, this is the default behavior if you leave the GPS enabled. (thanks google).
    Really, will it turn the GPS off after I leave the Maps? If so I've been overlooking it for a REALLY long time. How do you get Maps to turn on GPS automatically (without opening the "turn on GPS satelites") when I start Maps and then turn it off when I leave the same app? I really want to know.

Thanks.

So this thread doesn't go completly off topic. I had the idea of constant trackball notifications for the EMAIL, SMS and Missed calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironzey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Really, will it turn the GPS off after I leave the Maps? If so I've been overlooking it for a REALLY long time. How do you get Maps to turn on GPS automatically (without opening the "turn on GPS satelites") when I start Maps and then turn it off when I leave the same app? I really want to know.

Thanks.

So this thread doesn't go completly off topic. I had the idea of constant trackball notifications for the EMAIL, SMS and Missed calls.
    Yes, this is really, really the default behavior for maps, etc.

I leave the GPS enabled all the time, but I only see the GPS icon in the status bar when something needs to use it (like maps, camera, etc.). They turn it off when I exit them.

There are some applications that turn it on but don't turn it off. But I'd consider that to be a bug.

Also, some applications that can run in the background (like maps) can leave the GPS on if they are not actually closed. There are some other threads that talk about this, but basically if you press the back button to exit maps it will stop the GPS. If you press home, maybe not.

To me it seems like that way of doing it, just leaving the GPS on all the time seems like a needless waste of (limited) battery power. I might be showing my (android) age but I don't want anything running that doesn't need to be these batteries don't last fro ever. Not to mention I wouldn't want my location to be updated when I don't want it to be.

Leaving the GPS on all the time seems like a pretty bad idea all the way around.

Like I said before (thanks lifehacker).

Thanks for the (kinda) helpful tip.

One good reason why I leave my GPS enabled is in case I lose my Nexus.

In my experience, if you leave GPS enable and set your apps to update location every 1 or 2 hours it only drain about 1percent of battery life.

Does anyone (besides me) use this app?

GPS doens't do anything for me when my daughter (20 mos) puts the phone in her room under the bed.

I've started to use it, but I'm too new at it to have anything other than what is available on the wiki examples. It seemed very useful when I first got it, but I'm having second thoughts now.

I hadn't noticed much battery use for the standard tasks it talks about, but what I really wanted was some of the location based stuff, like where it will open your grocery list when you get to the store. I attempted to set this up, but I noticed a huge battery use when it is activated. So, I'm not so sure how "useful" that's going to be if it drains the battery. It's quite possible there is a more efficient way to do that I just haven't learned yet.

All I know is I have always had my GPS on ever since I got my phone last January and never had a battery issue. It's there when I need it and I never see it otherwise. However, if you set up a location based profile in Tasker, the GPS seems to activate every few minutes to check where it is. Tasker is showing up right under Screen Display in my battery use settings if it uses location. Otherwise it is only about 2% otherwise.

I'd be interested in hearing if you have the same results using Tasker.

UPDATE: I've learned from the Tasker forum how to set up location-based tasks more efficiently, and now I have one that displays my grocery list when I get to my grocery store. It works well and I don't see any increase in battery. There's a bit of a learning curve with this app, but well worth it.

I found that turning WiFi on by location wasn't 100% reliable and it used more battery, so this profile is 100% reliable and it uses less battery.

This profile turns on WiFi every 4 minutes for 10 seconds and them disable it, but if connected to a know hotspot it will leave WiFi on until disconnect, once disconnected it will start the cycle again.

PROFILE 1 CONTEXT
    State: Wifi Connected
    ENTER TASK
    WiFi On
    Variable Set, %CON to 1
    Flash text, WiFi Connected
    EXIT TASK
    Variable Clear, %CON
    Flash text, WiFi Disconnected
    Wait 2 seconds [If Not Set %WAIT]
    WiFi Off [If Not Set %WAIT]
    Flash text, Turning WiFi off [If Not Set %WAIT]

PROFILE 2 CONTEXT
    Time: Repeat: 4 minutes (no From or To)
    Variable Value: Not Set %CON
    ENTER TASK
    Variable Set, %WAIT to 1
    Wifi On
    Flash text, Checking for WiFi connection
    Wait 10 seconds <---- your can add more if necessary
    Wifi Off [If Not Set %CON] <----in case you connect during the 10 seconds
    Flash text, No Wifi connection found [If Not Set %CON]
    Variable Clear, %WAIT

If your N1 doesn't auto connect to your netwok this profile will not work for you.
    The "Flash text" is optional, but if your new to tasker it help to flash what tasker is doing.
    You can remove them once it's working for your. I tent to leave them on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links