Google Maps for Android Review

This is a discussion on Google Maps for Android Review within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Do you use Google Maps on your android, I like it on my Nexus one. New in Google Maps : * Places icon in the ...

Thread: Google Maps for Android Review

Google Maps for Android Review

Do you use Google Maps on your android, I like it on my Nexus one.
    New in Google Maps:
    * Places icon in the app launcher
    * Tap the Navigation icon to see the map view for 3D maps
    Also:
    * Navigation (Beta)
    * Search by voice
    * My Location
    * Business listings
    * Directions
    * Traffic
    * Layers
    * Street View
    * Latitude
    * Google Buzz

As far as mobile mapping goes, Google Maps for Android offers one of the best experiences you can get. The feature-fest, which Google has been building on for years, doesnt just tell you where you are using nothing but GPS or cell tower triangulation. It also tells you how to get where you want to go by car, public transport, good old-fashioned shoe leather, and now, by bike. Voice-guided navigation takes you turn by turn, and voice search keeps your typing fingers fresh.

Read more reviews about Google Maps

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Here is a stupid question lol
    Do you need 3G for this or can you just turn on your GPS and it can work

Quote Originally Posted by Mastermrz View Post
    Here is a stupid question lol
    Do you need 3G for this or can you just turn on your GPS and it can work
    You need data (cell network or wifi) for the map content. There are some 3rd party apps that store maps to your SD card but Google maps need live data.

I guess alternatively you could just use the compass for GPS navigation... and no map. I wonder if there's an app that leaves breadcrumb trails using GPS so you can overlay the points onto a map later?? hmmm.....

Guess we actually have to search for that, and just wondering, if your storing the maps into the SD card, wont that take ALOT of space?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastermrz View Post
    Guess we actually have to search for that, and just wondering, if your storing the maps into the SD card, wont that take ALOT of space?
    There are two theories to save on space. One, is for Gmaps to still remain somewhat dynamic and and just download the maps you will need for specific directions ahead of time. The second being just downloading maps for a particular radius (20mi, 50mi, 100mi, etc) to your location, or just a single city at a time.

These two options would allow for storing maps and downloading them ahead of time, while minimizing the space required.

Whether these two theories are actually being pursued by Google is anyone's guess. When asked about downloading maps, all Google would say is "we're working on it".

PS. I've been using traffic for months.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links