Transit app

This is a discussion on Transit app within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; I’m becoming very frustrated in my search for a public transit app. Each that I have tried has their quirks and, because of multiple transit ...

Thread: Transit app

Transit app

I’m becoming very frustrated in my search for a public transit app.

Each that I have tried has their quirks and, because of multiple transit systems here (3 separate agencies) I have to use more than one app for every trip. The one best option for overcoming that seems to be Google maps. However, Google suffers from a fatal flaw that affects some others as well.

Transit apps and “directions” features always default to the shortest and most direct route. Maybe in Programmerland this is seen as a plus. Taking the shortest and most direct route in on the South Side of Chicago can get you killed.

I need an app or program feature that allows transit directions from point A to point B as well as a HUB (third location) OF MY CHOOSING . When my kids travel to and from school and their after school jobs, they have to go miles out of their way to use a safe bus or train stop to transfer between routes. There is currently no way to select a route based on a safe point to transfer. It is also important that they not wait at any outdoor transfer point long because it is not safe to be outside and alone.

Google maps allows for a third destination when selecting the Car, Walk, or Bike icon, but when selecting the Public Transit icon, only two destinations are allowed, removing the ability to avoid being beaten, robbed and/or shot while riding or waiting for a bus or train.

Can anyone recommend a public transit app or program that allows more than two locations in one trip so I can safely route my kids where they need to go?

Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Which apps have you tried that did not work for you besides google maps?
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

• TreKing (CTA & PACE only - no METRA)
    • iTransit (METRA only - and inaccurate)
    • Any Stop Chicago
    • Transit Guru (METRA only and WTF I can't make heads or tails of the info it provides)
    • TransiCast (CTA only - no PACE or METRA, and no CTA trains, only CTA busses)
    • Chicago Transit Tracker (CTA only - no PACE or METRA)

Online via PC (no mobile app available):
    • Goroo
    • RTA Trip planner
    • CTA Bus Tracker
    Google Maps is really great. It incorporates all the transit agencies. It shows route maps. It shows departure times. It just doesn’t allow for a third location when taking public transportation.

Hi dm,

I'm the TreKing dev and happened to come across this post and signed up just to reply =)

First, my app does have Pace support, just to clarify. And Metra is planned, but will take some time before I have it available.

That said, I understand the need for the ability to add a 3rd (even 4th or 5th) point of interest when getting directions. Indeed it's easier in programming land to default to the first option available, which is what my app currently does, but I do have plans to improve on this functionality.

I'll make a note about incorporating the multiple points of interest into the route planning, though I couldn't possibly say when I'd be able to make this feature available.

Feel free to email me directly with any other suggestions or questions. TreKingApp (at) gmail (dot) com.

~TK

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links