Swype beta expired? Here are some solutions...

This is a discussion on Swype beta expired? Here are some solutions... within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Swype has demonstrated (and said as much) to this point that they intend to make their money by selling the keyboard program directly to phone ...

Thread: Swype beta expired? Here are some solutions...

Swype beta expired? Here are some solutions...

Swype has demonstrated (and said as much) to this point that they intend to make their money by selling the keyboard program directly to phone manufacturers, so I don't really ever expect them to place it on the market. Fine, if they don't want me to have Swype I'll use something else. There are other options out there and hopefully if they are successful they can put Swype out of business...at least that's how I feel about it. The leadership at Swype is free to run the business as they see fit, but I think they are missing out on a big opportunity and I intend to support one of the keyboard makers who wants my business. With that in mind, I present three alternatives to Swype:

1. SlideIt--this can be found on the market and there is a free version called SlideIt Soft Keyboard and a paid version called SlideIt. I'm not sure what the difference is but while I'm trying out the various slide type keyboards I'm just using the free version. If this keyboard wins out I'll upgrade to the paid version. It seems to be fairly close to Swype, although it isn't as tolerant of mistakes. Still, its very good.

2. ShapeWriter--this used to be on the market but the company took it off. They have made the apk available for those who still want it and the file can be found here. I've used this a little bit to this point and it works pretty well. I think I prefer SlideIt just a little bit, but I'll have to use both for a little bit longer.

3. Ultrakeyboard--this can be found on the market and I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It seems to be highly customizable and there is a free trial version that can be used for 24 hours before expiring. I'm pretty busy this week with mid-terms so I'm waiting till friday to download the free trial so I can give it a thorough testing.

I'm sure there are other swipe style keyboards out there and feel free to include them. At this point I'm just hoping to spur some development among the alternatives to Swype so that we all have more choices and aren't stuck hoping and praying that Swype will allow us to have their keyboard one day. I, for one, have decided to move on and don't ever intend to use Swype.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Hello,

just to thanks you a lot !!
    I had a swype version and it has expired, try to find another one etc ... but nothing come.
    I have tried swiftkey but the tracing ... once you try it, you can't go backward ;-))
    So, I download Ultrakeyboard and it was a really good suprised.
    Lots of options (go in your address book for example to find some names to automatically type), tracing is quite confortable and maybe a little bit under swype for recognition, but really, really good.
    So for those ones which does not want to run after a swype that maybe will never come, I tell you go for Ultrakeyboard.

Again thanks a lot for your help.

If your swype beta has expired, you just have to get a new update from them.
    Here is the linkSwype | Text Input for Screens
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

The latest Swype update ... I don't know...but my sister and me...both have the latest update and it is not as good as previously releases. Neither of us like it much and again, I have switched back to my Smart Keyboard Pro.
    Maybe I will give one of the other keyboards a try.

I broke down and went ahead and downloaded the trial version of Ultrakeyboard...couldn't wait any longer. It is by far my favorite of the three I mentioned. It has both swipe functionality and regular poke style typing. There are a lot of other great features like a translator, the keyboard height is adjustable, plus a ton of other customization options. I highly recommend giving this keyboard a try.

Edited to add: There is even an option to activate the camera so you can see where you are walking while you type!!

UPDATE: After using each of the three keyboards for about a week now I've settled into using mostly ShapeWriter. While Ultrakeyboard has a ton of great features, SW is more accurate and that is ultimately the most important thing...at least for me.

I don't know why Swype would not renew any N1 user's beta...

We're the only 1's (N1's) with the latest build... i got my an email to update to 2.4

I'm sure they'll want to try their products on our pristine pure Androids (... see my signature below .. 'nuff sed)

Have you tried emailing them to send you the update?

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    That's maybe I was not registered ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by albundy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    That's maybe I was not registered ;-)
    Oh........I see....sorry.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links