recommendations for a better keyboard app please

This is a discussion on recommendations for a better keyboard app please within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; It's tough going from a phone w/ an actual keyboard phone (G1) to the all touch N1. I eventually got use to the N1 keyboard ...

Thread: recommendations for a better keyboard app please

recommendations for a better keyboard app please

It's tough going from a phone w/ an actual keyboard phone (G1) to the all touch N1. I eventually got use to the N1 keyboard but I still hit the wrong keys here & there when I typed stuff out. I just dealt w/ it but after using my bf's Iphone4 to respond back to a text message for him while he was driving- I'm totally JEALOUS! The layout on the Iphone's keyboard is WAYYYYYY better than the N1! The letters/numbers are VERY spaced out & I never made a mistake when I was typing. I honestly don't have fat fingers or anything, so I ruled that theory out. Anyways, after using my bf's Iphone 4, I was a quest to find an app in the Market to find a better keyboard set up. I downloaded Smart Keyboard & it's better than the regular keyboard the N1 comes w/, but still not as nice as the Iphone 4. Does anyone know of a keyboard app in the Market that has a keyboard set up like the Iphone 4? Thanks!

2. is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well, I know what you mean, so allow me to help you on your quest. The Android Market has over 20 different keyboards, and honestly I haven't used the stock keyboard since I got my N1.

Here are some of the top keyboards sorted by top keyboard.
    Every keyboad has a lot of great feature, text in blue are just what I think is the best feature of each keyboard.

Don't forget that the built in Voice to text system works amazing, and the more you use it the better it gets.

Here is an example of a different Voice to Text called Voice Actions. First you need to download Voice Search, after downloading you activate Voice Action by long pressing the search button.

Voice Search

If you click on any of the QR from you N1 it will take you directly to that app on the Android Market, or you can scan the QR from your N1 using Barcode Scanner.

1. SwiftKey

It predict very nicely.

SwiftKey Keyboard uses AI technology to make typing SMART, FAST and PERSONAL!

Trial - shows predictions for 2 weeks

- Predicts next words
    - Auto-learns
    - Corrects sloppy typing
    - Voice-to-text, multi-touch

US, GB, ES, FR, DE, IT, NL, PT, SV

2. Swype

You look really cool swyping fast.

Swype is currently only available as a beta tester.
    Swype provides a faster and easier way to input text on any screen. With one continuous finger or stylus motion across the screen keyboard, the patented technology enables users to input words faster and easier than other data input methods—at over 40 words per minute. The application is designed to work across a variety of devices such as phones, tablets, game consoles, kiosks, televisions, virtual screens and more.

3. HTC_IME Keyboard

Very nice over all keyboard.

Customizable language settings
    Custom smileys
    Custom word candidate
    Prediction in fields with own suggestions (search bar etc.)
    Custom sounds
    Automatic space insertion
    Enable a space bar key in URL keyboard
    Show voice input button

4. Smart Keyboard PRO

Does multitouch very well.

Multitouch, T9, AutoText, skins, many languages and options.

*Added calibration tool
    *Added skin preview
    *Added Farsi layout
    *New swipe actions: insert space, move cursor
    *Bug fixes

5. TouchPal

Good implementation of multi language typing.

TouchPal supports 3 layouts (QWERTY, T+(Compact), 12Keys)
    mistyping correction
    mixed language input and many more.

You must install AT LEAST ONE language pack (also in Market) after install this Main!

6. SlideIT

This is almost as good as Swype, but it has a Voice to Text button.(but expensive too)

SlideIT is a revolutionary way to enter text easily faster and much more fun.

Just Slide along the letters and words “magically” appear.

-= VERSION 2.1 =-

-New UI design
    -New Languages
    -Speech Recognition Button
    -More cool features

7. Thick Buttons

This is amazing for people with big hands.

ThickButtons is an on-screen keyboard that makes it easy to type on touchscreens. As you type a word, ThickButtons enlarges and highlights useful buttons and shrinks useless ones.

8.Better Keyboard

By far the most customizable of the keyboards.

*fonts and themes
    *DPad, T9, compact qwerty (swipe left)
    *multi touch
    *smart/auto dictionary
    *user defined words get higher priority in suggestion
    *proximity correction algorithm
    *physical keyboard suggestions

Coming soon BlindType

It seem even a blind person can type with this one.

Google recently bought BlindType and most likely we will see this technology implemented on the next upgrade. Hopefully GingerBread.

[ame=]YouTube - BlindType on Android[/ame]

Here is a good review of all the keyboards and a several more.

Thank you for all the wonderful keyboard postings lionsson!

here are the top three in my opinion in order.
    1. swype

2. Ultra keyboard ( a lot like swye but with lots of options, even key size)

3. better keyboard ( you can skin it exactly like the iphone)
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links