Anyone use heytell?

This is a discussion on Anyone use heytell? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Search of this forum for "heytell" turned up zero threads so I am guessing not... but.. My sister uses it. It audio text message I ...

Thread: Anyone use heytell?

Anyone use heytell?

Search of this forum for "heytell" turned up zero threads so I am guessing not... but..

My sister uses it. It audio text message I guess. You press the button and record a short message then it sends it. The odd thing i could not figure out about this app was how to turn it OFF. If I used "Advance Task Killer" nothing happened. If I used "force close" the icon went away from the notification area and it was not longer listed in the "running" applications, but if my sis sent a message via heytell I still got it indicating it was still receiving messages and therefor must have been running.

Anyone else use this? Is there a way to get it to turn off when you dont want to receive messages? I only ask cause my sister and mom use it so they want me to have it. heh. I uninstalled it for now cause I dont like the no-turn-off feature.
    Asus Transformer & Dock - Stock OS
    NookColor - Not Rooted - Running CM7 on mSD
    AT&T Nexus One - Not Rooted
    SquareTrade Warranty - Purchased
    Case-Mate Tough Case + Screen Protector
    Wave Secure + Lookout

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yeah I've been using it here and there. My friends have iPhones and we can send messages to each other with it. But the program drains my battery like crazy! Maybe it's because when I have it on I use it to send stupid messages all the time.

But down to what you need to know, if you open it up and hit the menu button and go to Profile. Just uncheck the box for Background Service and then when you close the app it won't be running anymore. But if you go in a task killer you will still see it there. I'm not sure if it's really running, but you won't get any messages until you open the app back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Snickolaz View Post
    Yeah I've been using it here and there. My friends have iPhones and we can send messages to each other with it. But the program drains my battery like crazy! Maybe it's because when I have it on I use it to send stupid messages all the time.

But down to what you need to know, if you open it up and hit the menu button and go to Profile. Just uncheck the box for Background Service and then when you close the app it won't be running anymore. But if you go in a task killer you will still see it there. I'm not sure if it's really running, but you won't get any messages until you open the app back up.
    Well, I did that, and then had my sister send a message, and it still notified me a message was waiting. The only that that unchecking did was remove the icon from the notification bar, basically same result as force close.

Your comment about battery drain is a good to know. Its probably constantly polling something?
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Hmm... that's odd, when I did it I never got messages or notifications until I opened the app back up. The way the program works it is either constantly pulling from the server, unless it has a push type feature like gmail and exchange. Maybe that day I was just messing with my phone a lot and that's what caused my battery to drain. Other than that, I think the program is pretty nifty.

Well the way it sounds from what you are saying is that the app is not actually running in the background it is off, but this comes in as a regular text message but you need the app to know what the message says, am I right? If so what I think is happening is that when you receive the text it turns on and as soon as it is done saying what the messages says it shuts back down. So to prove (or disprove) my theory I would get your sister or mom to send you a message with this app go to running services then let the message play I think it will pop up then when the message is done reading it will go away again.

Note: This is no just a theory I have never tried this I don`t have the app either but this is just from power of deduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    Well the way it sounds from what you are saying is that the app is not actually running in the background it is off, but this comes in as a regular text message but you need the app to know what the message says, am I right? If so what I think is happening is that when you receive the text it turns on and as soon as it is done saying what the messages says it shuts back down. So to prove (or disprove) my theory I would get your sister or mom to send you a message with this app go to running services then let the message play I think it will pop up then when the message is done reading it will go away again.

Note: This is no just a theory I have never tried this I don`t have the app either but this is just from power of deduction.

It does not use data, I finally found a faq page for it (for some reason you cant get to it form the main web site, found it linked by a discussion thread elsewhere) and it does say it uses data.

http://heytell.com/info/android_index.html
    Hrm.
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post

It does not use data, I finally found a faq page for it (for some reason you cant get to it form the main web site, found it linked by a discussion thread elsewhere) and it does say it uses data.

Hrm.
    Just wondering why you quoted my post I don`t get what the link is between what I said and what you just posed?

Quote Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post

Hrm.

VydorScope, thank-you for finding the FAQ page for "Heytell" I have been using it for a few months. It really doesn't seem to use much battery. Thanks again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

Just wondering why you quoted my post I don`t get what the link is between what I said and what you just posed?

Because you said you think it uses text messages, the faq says it does not , it uses data.
    Wave Secure + Lookout

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links