message / ringtone difficulties

This is a discussion on message / ringtone difficulties within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; hey folks, i tried searching thru here for the answer, and it might be that i did not use the proper terms. i am trying ...

Thread: message / ringtone difficulties

message / ringtone difficulties

hey folks,
    i tried searching thru here for the answer, and it might be that i did not use the proper terms. i am trying to find a way to set a specific ringtone for when i get a text message from a certain place, but having problems.

the situation:
    i am on a fire department, and our dispatches are via text messaging. it makes it nice, because we have the address and maybe a bit of info from dispatch.

the problem is in how to set the contact up, and then set a tone just for that.
    the page comes in something like this: (note some info changed)

FRM: xxxpagging@dispatchxxx.com
    MSG: accident; PI; 101 MAIN STREET; HOME AVE - File Messenger Login

the number changes based on dispatch number, and address changes, the only constant is the FRM: email address

does anyone know if there is a way to assign a specific ringtone to text messages that come in this format that the only constant is the email address? i searched thru here, and googled it and have not had any luck, but i am not sure if it is part because of the way i am searching for it. the reson i am wanting to assign it is i get a lot of text messages, and if i can assign a specific one, i know that is one that might be a good idea to pay attention to, compared to other ones depending on what i am doing.

i greatly appreciate any help.

thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well I`m going to start by breaking down your problem you need to set a custom ringtone for when your department texts you? This is right? The other thing is that the email is the equivalent to the phone number is this what you are saying? Please answer these questions then I`ll give you some help.

yes, when my department texts me, setting a specific ringtone.

and yes, the email address is the only constant in the message, because it is sent out to all members in a group, it is somehow sent via email, to the phone numbers in a batch setup. i put the email address and named it central dispatch in a contact, but am having problems setting a tone for the text.

the number that shows up as who it is from constantly changes, because of the way it is set up on their end at dispatch. i have been scratching my head at a solution.

an example of the change, if it helps:
    (first page)
    MSG: accident; PI; 101 MAIN STREET; HOME AVE - File Messenger Login

(there may be a second with updated info)
    MSG: accident; PI; ENTRAPMENT; 101 MAIN STREET; HOME AVE - File Messenger Login

(the next run may come in like this)
    MSG: STRUCTURE FIRE; HOUSE; 921 9TH STREET; LEGAL DR - File Messenger Login

you can see that the number that it comes in from constantly changes and the only constant is the email address.

i hope this helps in the explanation, I am still trying to get to know the proper terminology, and i know that using the wrong terms can really muck things up in trying to find solutions.

Ok but when a message comes in does it come in to the same thread or another one?

If the answer is same thread then I have one solution to your problem for sure.

Don`t worry about using the wrong terms if I don`t know I will ask. But thanks for you concern.

the message comes in under new threads or messages - it shows as a new message, not continuations of the same message, both under the base messaging and handscent sms which i installed as well.

Ok I`m sorry but my bad I have no idea what you said. Does every message shows up in different threads (in the default messaging app, I am not familiar with handcent) or do they show up in the same thread. I know they will not show up as one message because they are not the same message.

hmm.... i am kind of confused - i am not sure what you mean by continuing threads -

each time a message comes in it will be in a newer section - i have a link to a screenshot i found,

http://smarterware.org/wp-content/up...d21-gvoice.png

an example would be each that says mom as being from could be an example off the new message - just being the 141000080 or 141000081 or 141000097 or whichever number it sends out.

i know that screenshot shows more for the google voice, but it looks the most similar to the base messaging that is on my nexus one if that helps

No sorry man if it always comes in to a new thread even if the old thread still exists then there is nothing I can do. Because the phone recognises the new message as being from different senders every time, it has no idea that itís the same person.

There is just one thing I don`t quite understand, the from is an email address instead of a phone number that is what you are telling me right? If this is the case I know how it is done but I think there is something going on that is out of the ordinary.

Perhaps you mean - Does each message show up as a different user, even though some may be from the same email address. Or do pages from the same email address show up as threads under each different user/email address? You'll notice that text messages to each contact will show up as threaded under each contact.

Before answering this, I would create a contact for each email address you expect to get a page from, or at least a few of them. Then you can set a ringtone for each contact. See if that works.

Are you using a gmail email address to store your contacts? This would probably be easiest.

Based on the image you sent, there is something wrong.

I use the default text messaging app.

If I have text messages from 3 contacts, I will have 3 threads, so that, for instance, each message from Mom will be added to the thread for the contact Mom.

That is not what your image shows.

The point is, if the messages are being sorted by contact, then you can create a ringtone for each contact. If the app thinks each message is from a different contact, and won't associate it to your contacts, you'll have to write an app to do what you want.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links