Help needed to test Skype 3G calling in the US

This is a discussion on Help needed to test Skype 3G calling in the US within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi folks I was wondering if someone could be interested on testing a hack that would allow 3G calling on Skype for the US. I've ...

Thread: Help needed to test Skype 3G calling in the US

Help needed to test Skype 3G calling in the US

Hi folks

I was wondering if someone could be interested on testing a hack that would allow 3G calling on Skype for the US. I've been working with people over at the xda-developers forum on some changes to the OS code but I need a Nexus One to test it.

Please find more info here:
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [HACK] Skype + US 3G

Or PM me. Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

mah
    I'm not in a position to help you to test this, but I don't understand why you would need to hack the OS's telephony class instead of just hacking skype's calls to it. Since it's not possible to obfuscate the external calls, you can replace their name from "android.telephony.TelephonyManager.getNetworkCoun tryIso", for example, to "myhack.getNetworkCountryIso". Then build another APK which provides this new package/function... then get the smali out of it and place it into the skype directory before you repack the apk.

If there's something in the original system call that needs to be performed (and it's just the two character return code that you need filtered), your replacement can call the original before returning "xx".

I haven't tried that but it seems like it would work. Have you tried it?

Cool

Yep. The problem is every time the Skype apk is modified the behavior is weird. It works but not completely.

mah
    If you decode the APK and then build it again without making any changes, does this weird behavior still exist? If so, that would suggest that the rebuilding process is failing somewhere -- perhaps a bad smali output

Exactly, I did that. Unpack - Repack - Sign and Install. Still the same behavior. I believe they might do some kind of check against the signature.

I do the following.

. Rename the .apk as .zip
    . Extract the .zip
    . Use backsmali on classes.dex
    . Modify the .smali files on Textpad
    . Use smali to create a new classes.dex
    . Put the file back in the zip
    . Delete the certificates on the META-INF folder on the zip
    . Rename the .zip as .apk
    . Use jarsigner to sign the .apk
    . Install on my device

It installs correctly but the behavior is always the same. You can receive calls on 3G but no sound, just ringing. You cannot make calls on 3G, call gets dropped.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links