Gmail contacts still not fully searchable?

This is a discussion on Gmail contacts still not fully searchable? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Wow, the Nexus one is over one year old and the contacts are still not fully searchable. This is almost a cruel joke since Google ...

Thread: Gmail contacts still not fully searchable?

Gmail contacts still not fully searchable?

Wow, the Nexus one is over one year old and the contacts are still not fully searchable. This is almost a cruel joke since Google is foremost a search engine.
    The search still doesn't look through every field. I hope it's just me but I doubt it. I want to use the native app and not download something else. Is there a way to fix this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I don't exactly know what you mean.

If you are talking about the search key when you're in the launcher, try this on the home screen select the Search softkey, select Menu softkey, select Search Settings, select Searchable Items, now select contacts. Now when you search it should bring up your contacts related to the corresponding letters, and if you touch the picture on the results it will give you all the options to contact that contact (Gmail, SMS, Facebook, Call, WhatsApp, Maps, Web, Email, Google Talk etc)

Quote Originally Posted by lionsson View Post
    I don't exactly know what you mean.

If you are talking about the search key when you are in you're launcher, try this on the home screen select the Search softkey, select Menu softkey, select Search Settings, select Searchable Items, now select contacts. Now when you search it should bring up your contacts related to the corresponding letters, and if you touch the picture on the result it will give you all the options to contact that contact (Gmail, SMS, Facebook, Call etc)
    Lets say you open your contacts list (the native app) and you want to search for a contact you met but don't know the name but the contact had something to do with a hospital. In the notes field of that contact you wrote hospital. If you touch the search button on your nexus one and search for hospital when you are in contacts (or anywhere for that matter) the nexus one will not find your contact even though you have entered it in the notes field. Actually there are multiple fields that the search function does not look at. This is ridiculous and people have been complaining about it for over a year now and still hasn't been fixed. I have android 2.2.2 and just tested it again today. Also in many fields the search function just searches the first and only the first word in the field.

Simple trick my wife does is to put her note in the Name suffix. You can find this under edit contact there is a drop down arrow.

OP is correct, there is no way you should need a work around for this. Why have the fields if you can't use them?

There are apps out there that allow you to search on all fields. But I agree with the OP, this should be default behavior.

It's as if Google is more concerned with adding stupid social based functionality than adding useful functionality. I mean, c'mon, there's no "Select All" button in an email folder? Talk about trying to force users to use gmail by offering broken tools for other methods? It's more important to add functionality that shows where you are to your friends on a map? (and can't even get that to work right, either?) Geez.

But, nothing's perfect. It sure is annoying, though.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    OP is correct, there is no way you should need a work around for this. Why have the fields if you can't use them?

There are apps out there that allow you to search on all fields. But I agree with the OP, this should be default behavior.

It's as if Google is more concerned with adding stupid social based functionality than adding useful functionality. I mean, c'mon, there's no "Select All" button in an email folder? Talk about trying to force users to use gmail by offering broken tools for other methods? It's more important to add functionality that shows where you are to your friends on a map? (and can't even get that to work right, either?) Geez.

But, nothing's perfect. It sure is annoying, though.
    The biggest kicker is that this is so easy to fix yet still it is not. What the hell are they waiting for? Also the programmers use this software all the time. Are you telling me that none of them are annoyed at this as well.

As I noted previously, I think the inability to do mass deletion is a "feature" of the app. Basically, Google wants you to use GMail. So they cripple the other app to "force" you over to theirs.

So much for "Do no evil"
    Perhaps it should be changed to "Do Know Evil"

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links