Should I keep all my apps updated on my nexus one ?

This is a discussion on Should I keep all my apps updated on my nexus one ? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; You should definitely NOT definitely keep all your apps up to date. I decide on an app by app basis depending on what the update ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I keep all my apps updated on my nexus one ?

You should definitely NOT definitely keep all your apps up to date. I decide on an app by app basis depending on what the update is for. The memory on the phone is way too limited, and often developers just keep adding to their applications and making them grow and grow without necessarily adding at all to their overall functionality. I currently have 19 apps that have updates I have not installed. If the app is working for you, there is no reason to update it unless you want to.

Read through the changes in the description for the updates, and I HIGHLY recommend reading the app reviews (with a grain of salt added for taste) to see what other users are saying before you apply an update. Many, many times I have saved myself from trouble by heeding the reviews because the developer adds functionality and breaks something else at the same time.

As an example, I downloaded Shazam at the start, and therefore have unlimited tagging. Updating has broken this for many users. The app works fine and does what I want, no reason to update it. My Tracks has gone through MANY iterations where they've broken something. I always wait until an update gets good reviews before updating the app.

Note to developers - please do everything you can to reduce the size of the footpring of your app in memory. There are tons of apps I'd love to install, but I don't have the space for them.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    You should definitely NOT definitely keep all your apps up to date. I decide on an app by app basis depending on what the update is for. The memory on the phone is way too limited, and often developers just keep adding to their applications and making them grow and grow without necessarily adding at all to their overall functionality. I currently have 19 apps that have updates I have not installed. If the app is working for you, there is no reason to update it unless you want to.

Read through the changes in the description for the updates, and I HIGHLY recommend reading the app reviews (with a grain of salt added for taste) to see what other users are saying before you apply an update. Many, many times I have saved myself from trouble by heeding the reviews because the developer adds functionality and breaks something else at the same time.

As an example, I downloaded Shazam at the start, and therefore have unlimited tagging. Updating has broken this for many users. The app works fine and does what I want, no reason to update it. My Tracks has gone through MANY iterations where they've broken something. I always wait until an update gets good reviews before updating the app.

Note to developers - please do everything you can to reduce the size of the footpring of your app in memory. There are tons of apps I'd love to install, but I don't have the space for them.
    I find when i am browsing for apps in the android market , i talk myself out of installing new apps or updating , cause there always mixed reviews OR I will focus on the few negative reviews instead of the huge pile of positive reviews. So i end up chickening out lol . Trusted app updates like facebook or twitter , youtube etc , i dont think there is much to worry though

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post

This.

Read what the update is, read the reviews, don't give them permission to access personal info that isn't necessary. I'm surprised more people aren't pissed off by all these updates that want to access to all your personal info.

For example, why does the game speedx need to access my phone calls; read phone state and identity? Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by NDE 108 View Post
    For example, why does the game speedx need to access my phone calls; read phone state and identity? Ridiculous.
    There are allot of games in the android market that do stuff like that but I'm pretty sure it's just because of a few lines of pretty useless code that will pause the game when you receive a call or something like that so I don't worry to much about all that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links