Free or inexpensive VOIP calls on N1

This is a discussion on Free or inexpensive VOIP calls on N1 within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; How did you get your Gizmo5 account?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free or inexpensive VOIP calls on N1

How did you get your Gizmo5 account?

There are Gizmo5 accounts being sold on ebay....

I'm not sure if its even worth it?

Apparently you need to pay Gizmo for certain calls outgoing and etc. For the bad audio quality, it seems like its better to just use minutes? :|
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Someone needs to make a Ventrilo Application.

The reason that you got a bill is that the Android Google Voice app uses two phone numbers.

The first is your regular GV number. Set that as a MyFave.

The second is a hidden number that connects the dialing behind the scenes. Contrary to popular belief this number doesn't change each time you dial. The first few times you make a call log into your T-Mobile account to find out what the number is (you can also sometimes view it on the dialing screen as your call is connected). Add this number to your MyFaves as well.

Another issue that I've seen is where your GV number might not be providing a caller ID. I've found that logging a case at the Google Site corrected the issue for me

Skype a lot easier lol

Here is the information I got from the website and my ebay (sorry for ads, but search for "Gizmo5" and "Nexus" on ebay):

To Set Up VoIP on the Nexus One Google Phone using Sipdroid or Goggle Voice for Free Calls

I (not me, for clarity, but I will) just got my Nexus One today and the first thing I did was set it up for VoIP calling. I'm using it on a T-Mobile data-only plan (no voice minutes needed). This tutorial assumes you will be using Gizmo.

To use Gizmo, you'll need an existing account.

First, get your Gizmo (or other SIP provider) info ready.
    On your Nexus One:
    • set up your WiFi network
    • install Sipdroid from the Android Market on your Nexus One - I received Version 1.2.4 beta today (these same steps also worked for me with an earlier version too) OR USE GOOGLE VOICE which is officially builded in.
    • open Sipdroid/GOOGLE VOICE

Now go to Sipdroid/GOOGLE VOICE settings and complete the sections listed below.
    SIP account settings:
    • username: Gizmo username or Gizmo ID (747*) will work. I used username.
    • password: Gizmo password
    • server: proxy01.sipphone.com
    • domain: leave empty
    • port: leave default (5060)
    • protocol: UDP Call Options:
    • use WLAN: check
    • use 3G: check, if you wish
    • use EDGE: Using EDGE might cause Gizmo to instantly drop your calls. It's a known bug (an incompatibility with the GSM compression codec used by Sipdroid 1.2 on EDGE networks).
    • Voice Compression: only over EDGE (see above bug note)
    • Preferred call type: set as you wish
    • Check for voicemail: unchecked because Google Voice handles my voicemail, not Gizmo. UPDATE: this option has been dropped from the latest Sipdroid build. Advanced Options:
    • Caller ID: leave blank due to the issue described in the "Sipdroid will not complete calls using Gizmo5" comment below. Your callers will still see your Google Voice number on their caller ID (assuming you have your Google Voice settings correct). If you follow my steps, caller ID will work correctly even when this option is blank.

Wireless & network settings:
    • Settings > WiFi Settings > Settings Button (again) > Advanced > WiFi Sleep Policy > Never If you are using WiFi only (not 3g), if you don't set WiFi Sleep Policy to "never", Sipdroid will unregister when the screen turns off (because WiFi will go to sleep) and you will miss incoming calls. Without this setting, if you have 3G enabled (e.g., airplane mode is off), WiFi will go to sleep and your calls will come in over 3G, which is not desirable if you are in range of WiFi. So set WiFi Sleep Policy to "never".

All Sipdroid settings not listed above are left at default values. No need to change anything not shown here.

Set up Gizmo in Google Voice in your web browser
    • you can do this on your Droid or on another computer • browse to https://www.google.com/voice (requires existing accounts at both services -- if you don't already have a Gizmo5 account, buy one from me on ebay :-))
    • go to Settings > Phones
    • click "Add another phone"
    • name: Gizmo
    • number: +1747nnnmmmm
    • phone type: Gizmo

Place a test call:
    • if not already at the GV website, open a browser and go to https://www.google.com/voice (login, etc.) ◦ You can use the browser on your phone or any other browser. Either way, you will be able to conduct the VoIP call from your phone.
    • click "call", enter a number, and choose "phone to ring" as your Gizmo phone. • Click connect.
    • Your Nexus One will ring. (If it doesn't ring, see troubleshooting steps at this post about VoIP on the Droid)
    • Answer and you will be connected with the party you are calling. This is pure VoIP solution. It does not use any voice minutes. It does not incur any Gizmo outgoing charges either. If you are on WiFi, this is a completely free solution. However, if you initiate the call from Sipdroid by dialing directly (rather than using the GV website) you will incur a small per minute VoIP charge from Gizmo for outgoing calls. It costs a fraction of what most cell plans charge. It is cheaper than even the cheapest voice plan in my experience.

ATTN: Headphone's issue for Droid, but not for GoogleVoice:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Headphones:
    On both the Droid and the Nexus one, if you are using Sipdroid for VOIP calls, headphones can be a problem (as of 1.2.4 beta of Sipdroid). Outgoing calls are OK. But you may not hear any sound on incoming calls (the other person can hear you). This is because the media volume gets muted. There are steps for a workaround at this link: Issue 241 - sipdroid - Sipdroid sound problems when using a headset (on Motorola Droid) - Project Hosting on Google Code (Vote for this bug to help get it fixed.)
    The workaround is:

1. when the phone is ringing, but before answering, adjust ringer volume down then up.

2. after answering the call, adjust media volume down then up. 
You must change media volume up to unmute it. If you know an easier way to unmute the media volume, you can use that. All you have to do is umute the media volume and your incoming VoIP call will work with headphones.

Another possible workaround, on the Nexus One only, is simply to install the official Google Voice application. I tested build 0.3.0. None of my other settings, as listed above needed to change. But it appears that the Google Voice app corrects the forced-mute on incoming VoIP calls with a headset. Unfortunately, the same workaround doesn't resolve the issue on the Droid.

Wow...Great information! That's the kind of thing we need here! Great job, and thanks for posting, pubwang!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMonster View Post
    There are Gizmo5 accounts being sold on ebay....

I'm not sure if its even worth it?

Apparently you need to pay Gizmo for certain calls outgoing and etc. For the bad audio quality, it seems like its better to just use minutes? :|
    The main reason compared to use other skype likes, I think, to buy a Gizmo5 account is because that it is officially supported by Google now. If you use Google Voice, it would be much better than any other sips. In addition, you never know what's the next big surprise from Google. So get one earlier and stay turned with Google. Anyway, it is always hard to wait for an invitation at the beginning.

I forgot to mention the call in service with google voice plus Gizmo5 which will make a real-free call in number. For skype, that's anothe $60/year.

Download Fring from the market place (free) then you can set it up to work with companies like voipcheap or others. voipcheap and voipbuster and lots of others are the same company they just have slightly diffrent prices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links