Free or inexpensive VOIP calls on N1

This is a discussion on Free or inexpensive VOIP calls on N1 within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Fring also does skype but voipcheap is cheaper....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Free or inexpensive VOIP calls on N1

Fring also does skype but voipcheap is cheaper.

free voip - use http://www.fring.com/default.asp and skype with wifi connection IT IS FREE NO NEED TO USE ANY PHONE PROVIDER

I'm considering if its worth it to PAY for a Gizmo5 account off ebay.

10 bucks is kinda expensive for a service that WAS free... I'm kinda scared that Gizmo5 will come back as a much more expensive charged service once Google unveils it.....

Maybe its worth it to buy a account now... I heard voip calling quality is horrible?
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Quote Originally Posted by tiborg View Post
    free voip - use http://www.fring.com/default.asp and skype with wifi connection IT IS FREE NO NEED TO USE ANY PHONE PROVIDER

What about over 3g?

Hi pubwang,

I tried what you wrote with Google Voice and my Gizmo5 account, but Google cannot verify the SIP number (747...) because it doesn't ring my Nexus One. Does it matter which type of Google Voice account I have? My Google Voice account is linked to my mobile number, i.e. I don't have a Google Number.

Thanks.

verifying gizmo

Gold,
    I had same problem. Trick is to download and log into gizmo on a windows pc to verify. Good luck

idiots approach

Somwone earlier in the thread mentioned being too stupid to set up pbxes using sipdroid. Thats how I feel too. The only thing that has worked for me is Fring for incoming and outgoing calls using gizmo (probably work well for skype) or using sipdroid or guava for outgoing gizmo calls. Guava is an easier to set up variant of sipdroid that in my house works better. For whatever reason when I follow the sipdroid directions earlier in this thread it crashes alot and I only get the green connection happy dot if a manually reset my comcast router. Guava is a download on the gizmo web site.

VOIP is a black hole for newbs like us IMHO. Fring and guava are more newb friendly but if you know what you are doing you want sipdroid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus2 View Post
    Download Fring from the market place (free) then you can set it up to work with companies like voipcheap or others. voipcheap and voipbuster and lots of others are the same company they just have slightly diffrent prices.
    Skype works with Fring as well. Quality needs improvement though.

I'm looking for some answers and thought it would be best to have them in this thread. I'd also like an update on some of these providers I'm going to mention. I'll be in Las Vegas this weekend and thought I should download a Voip and SIP app before I go. I'm just not sure which ones are best. I have a Skype account, but the only app I found is iSkoot and the reviews are not that good. What I really like about Skype is that I have it set up to show my mobile number when I make calls from my computer. I don't know if any other privider does this? Google Voice is not an option since I live in Canada. Voipbuster has free calls to Canada which is definitely an option. I just don't know if I still have to buy credits from them even if it's for free calls. Unfortunately, the VoipBuster Caller app doesn't have great reviews either. Any other Voip recommendations?

Anyone tried using Fring, Nimbuzz, Linphone, SipDroid or something else? I've read mixed reviews for the first two, but Linphone and SipDroid VoIP seem to be good. Also, what wifi scanner should I download (there's so many to choose from)? Do the wifi scanners really work? What do you guys think?

trailmix

Using Fring for cheap calls

Here's what I did for my trip to China next month.

I signed up for the $2.00 a month subscription to USA mobile phones through Skype. That gives me voice mail and the ability to call mobile phones and land lines as well as make free skype-skype calls.
    Total price for 3 months: $6

I signed up for a 120 minutes subscription to China phones through Skype. That gives me the ability to call my friends' Chinese mobile phones, the consulate offices, local restaurants, travel agency land lines, etc.
    Total price for 3 months: $8

I bought a Skype phone number for a year (at half price since I had a subscription). Total price for one year: $30

So for $44 I have 3 months of unlimited calls to the USA and 120 minutes of calls to China from anywhere in the world. Then I installed Fring on my N1 and set it up using the new Skype phone number. Bear in mind it takes about half an hour for that number to start working.

I tested the system calling my friends china mobile phone that's roaming to the US right now. all quality usa to usa phones is acceptable. The call quality usa to China is tinny but understandable for the most part. Usable, but barely. Still, a lot cheaper this way and there's no limit on minutes. I'm still going to buy a China unicom SIM for my N1 for when there's no wifi available, but this will enable me to buy a minimum of minutes on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links