Paid apps for phone w/ no carrier?

This is a discussion on Paid apps for phone w/ no carrier? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Can you buy apps if your phone is on WiFi only (no carrier)? A coworker of mine just got the Nexus One w/out a carrier ...

Thread: Paid apps for phone w/ no carrier?

Paid apps for phone w/ no carrier?

Can you buy apps if your phone is on WiFi only (no carrier)? A coworker of mine just got the Nexus One w/out a carrier plan, he's just connecting via WiFi for now. He only sees free apps in the Market despite having a Google account and Google Checkout configured correctly (he's bought other things w/ Google Checkout before).

Seems odd to me...

Thanks in advance.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I've see both paid and free apps but I am with VZW.

He does not see the "Top Paid" "Top Free" "Just In" across the top of a category?

I Can't see why a WiFi only device would be any different.

He just sees top free and just in. On my Droid on Verizon I also see top paid.
    FYI no paid apps show up on his phone in search either. Clearly they are filtered on his phone for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    I've see both paid and free apps but I am with VZW.

He does not see the "Top Paid" "Top Free" "Just In" across the top of a category?

I Can't see why a WiFi only device would be any different.

Guy
    In order to see paid apps you must have a sim card in, it does not have to be activated. This is what I have heard, I would give it a go.
    Follow me at @Burlyskink
    Want a Lockerz invite? PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    In order to see paid apps you must have a sim card in, it does not have to be activated. This is what I have heard, I would give it a go.
    I can confirm this. I initially had no sim card in my N1 and I'd been using wifi and having the same experience. There were no paid apps offered in the marketplace. All I saw were free apps. So I pulled the unsused sim card from my VZW Storm1 and put it in my N1. With this basically dead sim inserted, I could now see all the paid apps.

As a strange aside, with my Storm1 sim in, the phone says (No Service) vodafone NL. VZW global phones work on both cdma and gsm but the gsm radio is only used outside the U.S. Vodafone is a part owner of VZW so they are who the phone works thru in many gsm countries.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links