Turn-by-turn voice navigation software

This is a discussion on Turn-by-turn voice navigation software within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Google Maps only provide turn-by-turn voice navigation in the US. Does anyone have recommendations for other navigation software that provide voice directions outside the US?...

Thread: Turn-by-turn voice navigation software

Turn-by-turn voice navigation software

Google Maps only provide turn-by-turn voice navigation in the US. Does anyone have recommendations for other navigation software that provide voice directions outside the US?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

There is a hacked version of Maps to get Navigation working outside US.
    Check this:
    How to Enable Google Maps Navigation Outside USA

The hack requires uninstalling Google Maps, but I can't seem to be able to do that on our phone. It doesn't appear in the list of apps in "Manage Applications"

I haven't uninstall it and it's working.

Just grab the hacked version and copy it to your microSD.
    Download from the android Market an apk installer (search for apk) and install it.
    Fisrt time you open Navigate, the phone will ask which application to use. Choose M4ps and voilą!

Did you use the root or non-root version? I downloaded the root one but couldn't get it to install... my APK installer (i'm using App Installer) said installation failed.

That's installing an older pre-2.1 version of maps so may not work well. Also:

• No arrow indicating next turn direction
    • Voice guidance is delayed, if at all present

Seems to me to defeat the point of a navigation app anyway.

Nighthound:
    Non-root version since my N1 isn't rooted.

TonyHoyle:
    The version you get with the Nexus is also 3.1.1
    It's maybe not 100% working as it should but it's better than nothing...

I just installed Nav Launcher from the Market, but whatever address I type in, it keeps telling me the address cannot be found. Did I do anything wrong? All I did was install it... and it boots up fine. Trying this in Canada, btw

Edit: never mind, I downloaded this file as well http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=635959 and all works now :D
    My sigs keep getting

I've tried many things, and in the end, of course, the simplest one worked.

I'm using Google Nexus 1.

Just download from the market Nav Launcher, install, it'll tell you that you don't have the latest hacked version of Google maps, and ask if you want to install that (of course you want to, if you live outside the one and only US of A) and that's it!

There will be 2 icons for maps (original one and a 'Brut' one). I don't use Nav Launcher at all, just click on the Brut maps icon and click 'directions' choose a location, it displays list of the turns, there's option 'Navigate', choose that, when it asks which maps you want to use, guess which ones- Brut of course, and it works like a charm, even in a small town in small Serbia.

Thanks a lot to the developer of Nav Launcher and the guy that cracked the Google maps (if it's not the same dude)!

On the other hand I just cannot get latest version of Ndrive to work, even with downloaded trial maps... I just don't get the map on screen... well whatever, cracked google maps are just fine for me!

Cheers guys!

Thanks Mihailo for the simple and easy solution. I've managed to get the Brut maps installed and look forward to trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihailo View Post
    I've tried many things, and in the end, of course, the simplest one worked.

I'm using Google Nexus 1.

Just download from the market Nav Launcher, install, it'll tell you that you don't have the latest hacked version of Google maps, and ask if you want to install that (of course you want to, if you live outside the one and only US of A) and that's it!

There will be 2 icons for maps (original one and a 'Brut' one). I don't use Nav Launcher at all, just click on the Brut maps icon and click 'directions' choose a location, it displays list of the turns, there's option 'Navigate', choose that, when it asks which maps you want to use, guess which ones- Brut of course, and it works like a charm, even in a small town in small Serbia.

Thanks a lot to the developer of Nav Launcher and the guy that cracked the Google maps (if it's not the same dude)!

On the other hand I just cannot get latest version of Ndrive to work, even with downloaded trial maps... I just don't get the map on screen... well whatever, cracked google maps are just fine for me!

Cheers guys!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links