What can I do with Google voice (or what do you do with it)?

This is a discussion on What can I do with Google voice (or what do you do with it)? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; There is a huge amount of buzz over Google Voice (and yes, if you are in the US and purchase a N1 you get a ...

Thread: What can I do with Google voice (or what do you do with it)?

What can I do with Google voice (or what do you do with it)?

There is a huge amount of buzz over Google Voice (and yes, if you are in the US and purchase a N1 you get a GV account. Go to the screen with all your programs and open up "voice". You'll be prompted to enter your information and that's how you sign up).

So my question is... What are people using this for? Sure, it has some nice features but other than an new voicemail system what is the big draw?

Can this keep me connected when I'm traveling overseas? I have a personal cell number and work cell number. I carry my work cell with me... can it merge the two?

How is this making your life easier?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

mah
    Yes, GV can effectively "merge the two" (or more) numbers -- you can give GV multiple "real" numbers, and when callers dial your GV number, all of your real numbers will be attempted.

The N1 can also be configured to place your outgoing calls through GV (thus getting the GV CallerID), but if you're in Europe that might not be a good idea. You can also configure the phone to ask you (on every outbound call) if you should directly dial, or go through GV.

The transcribed voice mail messages are a very nice feature. My home phone is through Vonage and they provide that as well, but they charge for it by the message.

The holy grail of GV is yet to be realized... but there's lots of speculation that in the future GV will be IP-based, meaning you could lose your minutes plan on your phone, and place all calls through your data service only.

I use it primarily for the transcribed VMs. It comes in handy both on the N1 and also online. When/if I move I will probably be paying the $10 charge to change my GV number to whatever area code I move to. I hate havign to give my area code for everything.
    Rooted Nexus One

Google Voice can be combined with a Gizmo5 account, and sip droid to make free voip calls. You can also just pay for some Gizmo minutes, they run about .01 per minute in the US, and get 1000 Voice minutes for $10, all you need is a Data Plan. (the free calls kind of defeat the purpose of a cell because you have to initiate the call from inside your GV account on your computer)
    :nexusx:Proud new owner of Nexus One as of 1/11/10
    Unlocked Rooted
    Amon-RA recovery v1.7.0(Cyanogen Mod Version)
    Cyanogen Mod LATEST! (Beta or Stable)
    Baked In MoDaCo's Kitchen!
    NexTHEME
    Helix Launcher2
    16GB Class 6 MicroSD

Twitter @Gr8gorilla

On AT&T you can place your GV number in your A-list and any call between your AT&T number and GV number will be free.
    This way you can use a lot more minutes on your cell phone without having to pay more for your plan. Plus the free SMS service from GV.

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    On AT&T you can place your GV number in your A-list and any call between your AT&T number and GV number will be free.
    This way you can use a lot more minutes on your cell phone without having to pay more for your plan. Plus the free SMS service from GV.
    Yes! I was able to do the same with T-mobile Fav Five BEFORE I bought the Nexus One as unfortunately, that plan is no longer available to N1 user!
    Being able to use the GV number as a F5 was a great minute saver, you should never go over a minute plan with that type of set-up.

If you did not change your plan on T-Mobile, you should still have My Favs.
    It is no longer available to new subscribers, as far as I know.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    If you did not change your plan on T-Mobile, you should still have My Favs.
    It is no longer available to new subscribers, as far as I know.
    Bought was not the correct term, I should have said, when I subsidized my new Nexus One that plan was no longer available to me

I have lots of questions... all this is a bit confusing to me. I live in Canada, but will travel to Europe soon. There I will have a EU cell number. I am one of the lucky ones with a Gizmo5 account, and I have GV as well. Soon I'll have a Nexus One as well... and I won't have a dataplan at all.

Is it possible to use GV + Gizmo5 on the Nexus One via WiFi?
    Obviously I can't forward GV to my EU number, but is there a way in which people can still call the GV and it gets forwarded to Europe?
    Can I call out somehow and have GV as caller ID?

Can't wait till GV becomes global, and you can get any number you like and forward to any number you fancy Until then, I'm not entirely sure GV is that useful really...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links