Google maps

This is a discussion on Google maps within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hello,i would like to buy the new android, nexus one, phone from Google. But i have a problem. I will use it 30% of my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google maps

Google maps

Hello,i would like to buy the new android, nexus one, phone from Google.

But i have a problem. I will use it 30% of my time for maps, and sometimes i am traveling abroad.
    I saw that it's using Google products, like those "Google maps,etc"
    I have to pay high $$$/ each MB transfered while i am abroad.

So to be very short with my question:

I don't get it how is with "Google maps" on this phone?

Are the maps downloading "live" to my cell phone?
    can't i pre download the whole map for "Hungary" or "Ukraine" for example before i will be going their?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yes its an App that comes pre loaded on the phone. The maps are already there you just flip on the GPS and it Finds your location and just go from there. I Love Google Maps and I use it all the time.

For now, the maps are only available for US?

How can you download extra maps?
    can you use other GPS maps application if you don't like the one from google?!

Actually, while the app "Google Maps" is pre-loaded on the N1, the maps themselves are not, and must be downloaded as needed. At present, there is no way to cache the maps ahead of time. This is a feature that many would appreciate.

lol, i just got 2 different answers...lol

Quote Originally Posted by davidalow44 View Post
    Actually, while the app "Google Maps" is pre-loaded on the N1, the maps themselves are not, and must be downloaded as needed. At present, there is no way to cache the maps ahead of time. This is a feature that many would appreciate.
    Just looked at Google Maps and Im able to Look at every country yet Ive never been to any of them aside from my own...

If you're on WiFi or a 3G data plan, the maps download very quickly. 2G is slower, and if you have no data connection at all, you won't see any maps!

I was at a restaurant yesterday with only a 2G connection, looking at maps of a town in Mexico, and the download seemed painfully slow at times. It would be OK, I think, for driving or walking around a golf course.

I am sure they are downloaded "on the fly" -

but

the vector-type "standard" maps download much quicker than the sattelite photos - so they might not actually consume too much bandwidth on your plan (just a guess - its not something I have checked on myself)

Quote Originally Posted by fabkebab View Post
    I am sure they are downloaded "on the fly" -

but

the vector-type "standard" maps download much quicker than the sattelite photos - so they might not actually consume too much bandwidth on your plan (just a guess - its not something I have checked on myself)
    Good point and good idea. BTW, I read somewhere that navigation maps acquired under the Car Home app are cached, and so presumably would not need a data connection while underway, except if you go off the navigated path.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalow44 View Post
    davidalow44 is correct. You need a data connection to see the maps in Google Maps. So if you are offline, you won't be able to see any maps other than the part of the maps that was temporarily downloaded last time you opened Google Maps. Nokia's Ovi Maps, on the other hand, is a true Maps app because all the maps data are pre-installed in the internal memory of the phone (~1.2GB of maps data just for the US.) This is the advantage that the new Nokia phones have. However, I heard that there are 3rd party maps for the Android which allow you to download the maps data for offline use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links