Caching Google Maps

This is a discussion on Caching Google Maps within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; I'm using my N1 with a TMO prepaid SIM and WiFi, no data plan. I generally have WiFi available. When I don't I'm just limited ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caching Google Maps

Caching Google Maps

I'm using my N1 with a TMO prepaid SIM and WiFi, no data plan. I generally have WiFi available. When I don't I'm just limited to voice calls and SMS. Although I still do emails and such that sync up later.

So I obviously don't have maps and can't do turn-by-turn on the road. Does anyone know of a way to cache Map data? It would seem simple enough to load a small subset of data to cover my local area without needing to download data. I'm surprised so little is available when offline, data must be constantly transferring when on the move. Any thoughts?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    I'm using my N1 with a TMO prepaid SIM and WiFi, no data plan. I generally have WiFi available. When I don't I'm just limited to voice calls and SMS. Although I still do emails and such that sync up later.

So I obviously don't have maps and can't do turn-by-turn on the road. Does anyone know of a way to cache Map data? It would seem simple enough to load a small subset of data to cover my local area without needing to download data. I'm surprised so little is available when offline, data must be constantly transferring when on the move. Any thoughts?
    That is the design of Google maps with the Nexus one, it doesn't allow for offline mode.

mah
    There are turn-by-turn apps on the market that provide their own maps (and download them to your SD card to eliminate the need for a data connection).

If you decide to try any, post about your experiences here!

The apps out there are somewhat pricey (but cheaper than 4 months of data service). Keep in mind that you can uninstall a purchased app within 24 hours for a refund if you don't like it (and if you haven't been refunded on that app previously).

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post

That is the design of Google maps with the Nexus one, it doesn't allow for offline mode.
    But there are apps that allow you to do just this.

Maps (-) is one of them.

Maps (-) uses the OpenStreetMaps. Looked good but I just installed it and it's kinda funky.

I found a Google Employee response on the support forum. At least they're thinking about the issue.

Not sure but I think the recently released Google Earth may be offline'able.

In the mean time I'm trying OruxMaps. It has promise.

Google Earth offline with navigation sounds like an orgasm.

One more problem

Even if you get the offline maps, the audio out of the phone is not sufficient to overcome road/wind/engine noise. You'll need an FM modulator or external amp/speaker so you can hear the turn-by-turn directions.

^ Or a cheap ear bud.

Give it a time some will develop an similar app like xGPS for iPhone. The best free one should be coming from Google.

same discussion on another forum, more options discussed:
    Caching Google Maps to Use Offline - Android Forums

I can't wait for google's solution though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links