App storage....How much?

This is a discussion on App storage....How much? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; I think you should be able to put free apps on the card, and only lock the paid ones to the phone. That way you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: App storage....How much?

I think you should be able to put free apps on the card, and only lock the paid ones to the phone. That way you can save a ton of space, or you can lock paid apps to a certain card (sort of like an itunes thing where only the person who bought it can play/use it, although I really hate itunes for that, but my point is you can free up the phone space that way).

So roughly how many apps can you have on ur nexus one?

If you have your phone rooted, APPS2SD can be used. It makes a separate partition for the apps so you really can't see the apps from your computer to easily copy. (or from your phone for that matter without a root explorer).

Also, stating that it wont' ever be better than the iphone because you cannot sync calendar and tasks?

You can sync calendar and tasks with your gmail/google account WITHOUT having to plug into a computer. That's a huge advantage there. I've been switching a lot of roms and that is a huge PLUS for me. Syncing contacts/calendar/mail is quicker on the android than it is on the iphone ( had regular, 3g, 3gs).

You also have the option of syncing your iCal with google calendar if you wish as well as the address book in OSX.

So how many apps do you current phone owners currently have on ur nexus one....i feel like i have a hundred apps i wanna put on my phone when i get it

Quote Originally Posted by ezeddiekun View Post
    i never reach the limit before. But than again im a perfectionist. I never leave apps that i do not use often installed. I'm always uninstalling apps =]
    word!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eugeneng View Post
    And so this will be one of the reasons Nexus One can never be better then Iphone. Let alone calendar and tasks can't be synced. I feel there is still a looong way to go before Nexus One can really compete with Iphone.
    I always laugh at Iphone users and those crappy white earbuds. The music sounds like crap but hey they look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eugeneng View Post
    And so this will be one of the reasons Nexus One can never be better then Iphone. Let alone calendar and tasks can't be synced. I feel there is still a looong way to go before Nexus One can really cokkmpete with Iphone.
    I always laugh at Iphone users and those crappy white earbuds. The music sounds like crap but hey they look cool.

Wow there's someone who's trying to flame us...
    Iphone suck... period... inferior to nexus in all aspect..

Anyways I stored a lot but it depend on the apps size..
    I got around 40+

mah
    Incidentally, my (untested) understanding is that though the N1 has 512MB of flash, Android (unrooted at least) is hard-capped at only allowing 190MB for app installation. I think the rest is accessible for application storage (database contents, for example, which by default are placed in flash, not the sdcard).

Has anyone tested this out to confirm it?

Can I please ask for clarifcation as I was about to go for a Nexus One phone but am now concerned about the app storage. I have been trying to decide between an iphone or the nexus one for sometime, previosuly I was sure I would go for the Iphone when my existing contract came up becuase I use an Ipod Touch everyday and really enjoy the experience.

I have though 2.74GB of Apps stored on the Ipod Touch all of which I use and would at least require this amount of space on a phone to have the same or similar apps, obviously the same ones if it was the Iphone.

So is the conclusion of this thread that this is not possible with the Nexus One because it only has 512MB of inbuilt storage? If this is the case, isn't that a massive downside and really puts the Iphone way infront? Surely app usage is a hugh element of new smart phones and increasing all the time.

You get 180-190mb of internal storage for apps. Remember the N1 is on a completely different level than an Iphone. I won't get into flaming the Iphone here but the N1 handles apps differently than an Iphone because you have the option of actually putting in an SD card for more storage on the N1, where the Iphone's storage is set in stone. This is mainly due to the linux kernel but I wouldn't doubt it if an update to the OS will open this up a little.

Most apps are 1-3mb in size on the N1. Also, apps will use your SD card for storage so they don't use the internal memory up. All of my thumbnails, pics, game saves, etc. get saved on the SD card and NOT on the internal memory.

I personally have 80 apps I downloaded off the marketplace plus whatever came on the phone by default and I still have 49mb of internal space left.

Don't forget though, that's only space reserved for apps and not the system/running services which have their own allocation so the phone won't run out of ram and slow down.

If your not happy with that amount of space you can always Root your phone and use an app to save/run apps from your SD card as mentioned from an early post but honestly it's not necessary to do so as it's more than enough space in my opinion to run whatever it might be that you want to run.

Hopefully this helps you make the right decision and to stop wasting time and purchase the N1 already...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links