Question on after uninstalling an App

This is a discussion on Question on after uninstalling an App within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Is there any possibility for an app to leave remnants of itself within the phone even after you uninstall it? I know windows does that, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Question on after uninstalling an App

  1. #1
    Junior Member psionix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9

    Question on after uninstalling an App

    Is there any possibility for an app to leave remnants of itself within the phone even after you uninstall it?

    I know windows does that, but I have limited knowledge on linux base android.

    Someone care to enlighten me?

    Perhaps like some left over files and folders within the folders of the root directory?

    Cheers

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Senior Member ezeddiekun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by psionix View Post
    Is there any possibility for an app to leave remnants of itself within the phone even after you uninstall it?

    I know windows does that, but I have limited knowledge on linux base android.

    Someone care to enlighten me?

    Perhaps like some left over files and folders within the folders of the root directory?

    Cheers
    A lot of apps in my experience leaves behind temp and trash files. They are usually found on the SD Card. I do not know if they leave anything in the root directory. Kinda of a scary thought. Afterall I uninstall A LOT of apps.
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #3
    Senior Member bud760's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by ezeddiekun View Post
    A lot of apps in my experience leaves behind temp and trash files. They are usually found on the SD Card. I do not know if they leave anything in the root directory. Kinda of a scary thought. Afterall I uninstall A LOT of apps.
    X2 i install and uninstall alot of apps too and find myself cleaning out the sd card after or checking to see if the app i took off left any unwanted folders.

  5. #4
    Junior Member psionix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9
    Yup, so far most apps leave junks in the /sdcard directory.

    I am just worried some of them might leave crap in root.

    Anyone have this experience or can confirm that it wont happen?

    I tried browsing my root folders and there are really alot of files and folders which doesnt make sense to me. (pardon me for being new to android)

  6. #5
    Android Jr Member Backnblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by psionix View Post
    Yup, so far most apps leave junks in the /sdcard directory.

    I am just worried some of them might leave crap in root.

    Anyone have this experience or can confirm that it wont happen?

    I tried browsing my root folders and there are really alot of files and folders which doesnt make sense to me. (pardon me for being new to android)
    Deleting any "leftover" files on the sdcard is Ok IMHO, but I wouldn't delete anything from the root directory unless you are absolutely sure on what your deleting.

  7. #6
    Senior Member N1David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    866

    Safe to delete?

    Quote Originally Posted by bud760 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ezeddiekun View Post
    A lot of apps in my experience leaves behind temp and trash files. They are usually found on the SD Card. I do not know if they leave anything in the root directory. Kinda of a scary thought. Afterall I uninstall A LOT of apps.
    X2 i install and uninstall alot of apps too and find myself cleaning out the sd card after or checking to see if the app i took off left any unwanted folders.
    How do you know what is safe to delete on the SD card? My phone out of the box had a lot of files on the SD Card.

  8. #7
    Senior Member bud760's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    How do you know what is safe to delete on the SD card? My phone out of the box had a lot of files on the SD Card.

    Do you remember what files were on your SD card when you got it? Most apps will make a folder with it's name like amazonmp3, imusic or espeak-data so you can figure out which one to keep. You can also tell by some of the file extensions like *.bak

  9. #8
    Senior Member N1David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    866

    Thanks

    Thanks for the reply.
    I really don't remember what files were on the card when I got the phone last week. But I do see new ones names Handcent and amazonmp3 so that is a start in the right direction.
    Thanks.

  10. #9
    mah
    mah is offline
    Senior Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    234
    I believe that apps are only able to write to the root (flash drive) in a directory reserved for the specific app package -- meaning Android is able to automatically delete app-created files that are not in /sdcard.

    For the curious, the directory they can write to is /data/data/app.package.name (where "app.package.name" is decided on by the app developer, and cannot be shared with any other app on the Market).

    Theoretically, if using an app that requires a rooted phone (and runs as root), these protection rules don't apply.

  11. #10
    Junior Member imnot2sure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3
    i have a question.... when i get the nexus 1.... will all my app in the market that i downloaded for my droid be there for my nexus 1????? or will i have to go find them and download them agin... that would suck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

after uninstalling an app

,

android app to uninstall apps and leftover files

,

android delete leftover icons

,

android delete uninstalled app leftover

,

android files left after uninstall

,

android uninstall app on nexus 10

,

android will uninstalling an app delete your data

,

app to remov hidden and leftover files after uninstall on galaxy s3

,

does android apps leave left over files?

,

does any file left after unstalling from android

,

does uninstalling a android app uninstall it's data and files

,

how do i see the uninstalled app fingerprint left behind on my android

,

is unwanted data left when uninstalling an app on android

,

uninstall android app, files left over

,

what app cleans an app uninstalled that leaves behind it leave

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.
Android Forum