Question on after uninstalling an App

This is a discussion on Question on after uninstalling an App within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Is there any possibility for an app to leave remnants of itself within the phone even after you uninstall it? I know windows does that, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on after uninstalling an App

Question on after uninstalling an App

Is there any possibility for an app to leave remnants of itself within the phone even after you uninstall it?

I know windows does that, but I have limited knowledge on linux base android.

Someone care to enlighten me?

Perhaps like some left over files and folders within the folders of the root directory?

Cheers

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by psionix View Post
    Is there any possibility for an app to leave remnants of itself within the phone even after you uninstall it?

I know windows does that, but I have limited knowledge on linux base android.

Someone care to enlighten me?

Perhaps like some left over files and folders within the folders of the root directory?

Cheers
    A lot of apps in my experience leaves behind temp and trash files. They are usually found on the SD Card. I do not know if they leave anything in the root directory. Kinda of a scary thought. Afterall I uninstall A LOT of apps.
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ezeddiekun View Post
    A lot of apps in my experience leaves behind temp and trash files. They are usually found on the SD Card. I do not know if they leave anything in the root directory. Kinda of a scary thought. Afterall I uninstall A LOT of apps.
    X2 i install and uninstall alot of apps too and find myself cleaning out the sd card after or checking to see if the app i took off left any unwanted folders.

Yup, so far most apps leave junks in the /sdcard directory.

I am just worried some of them might leave crap in root.

Anyone have this experience or can confirm that it wont happen?

I tried browsing my root folders and there are really alot of files and folders which doesnt make sense to me. (pardon me for being new to android)

Quote Originally Posted by psionix View Post
    Yup, so far most apps leave junks in the /sdcard directory.

I am just worried some of them might leave crap in root.

Anyone have this experience or can confirm that it wont happen?

I tried browsing my root folders and there are really alot of files and folders which doesnt make sense to me. (pardon me for being new to android)
    Deleting any "leftover" files on the sdcard is Ok IMHO, but I wouldn't delete anything from the root directory unless you are absolutely sure on what your deleting.

Safe to delete?

Quote Originally Posted by bud760 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ezeddiekun View Post
    X2 i install and uninstall alot of apps too and find myself cleaning out the sd card after or checking to see if the app i took off left any unwanted folders.
    How do you know what is safe to delete on the SD card? My phone out of the box had a lot of files on the SD Card.

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    How do you know what is safe to delete on the SD card? My phone out of the box had a lot of files on the SD Card.

Do you remember what files were on your SD card when you got it? Most apps will make a folder with it's name like amazonmp3, imusic or espeak-data so you can figure out which one to keep. You can also tell by some of the file extensions like *.bak

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
    I really don't remember what files were on the card when I got the phone last week. But I do see new ones names Handcent and amazonmp3 so that is a start in the right direction.
    Thanks.

mah
    I believe that apps are only able to write to the root (flash drive) in a directory reserved for the specific app package -- meaning Android is able to automatically delete app-created files that are not in /sdcard.

For the curious, the directory they can write to is /data/data/app.package.name (where "app.package.name" is decided on by the app developer, and cannot be shared with any other app on the Market).

Theoretically, if using an app that requires a rooted phone (and runs as root), these protection rules don't apply.

i have a question.... when i get the nexus 1.... will all my app in the market that i downloaded for my droid be there for my nexus 1????? or will i have to go find them and download them agin... that would suck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links