Sliding text input method

This is a discussion on Sliding text input method within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; SlideIT vs ShapeWriter vs Swype I purchased the SlideIT keyboard. I fell in love with it from the start. It is working without problems on ...

Thread: Sliding text input method

Cool Sliding text input method

SlideIT vs ShapeWriter vs Swype

I purchased the SlideIT keyboard. I fell in love with it from the start. It is working without problems on my Nexus One. and it has increased my text speed at least 50%!

I have been testing ShapeWriter and generally like it, but I prefer Slideit. The tap mode is more flexible and I like the graffiti portion. The intuitive is easier to modify and affect.

I tried Swype, but it seemed slower and not as responsive as SlideIT. And there is one major factor that I have noticed with both Swype and SlideIT It's the memory usage.
    Swype 9.19 MB SlideIT 1.85 MB

I was wondering of anybody who has tried all 3, which do you like best?

2. is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

My first experience with a gesture keyboard was Swype and I quickly became hooked on this type of input. Once I realized it was a timed beta release, I decided to look around for a replacement "just in case" they did not release it to individuals, since they state on their Website their business plan is to only distribute through carriers.

I then downloaded ShapeWriter and am giving it a try. While it is not as pretty as Swype, it is very similar and extremely functional. It works just as well, but I like how it will display the characters similar to the standard keyboard. This helps me to be sure I am gliding/pausing on the correct key, since my finger covers the letters. I also find it much easier to change case of letters in ShapeWriter. Entering words with double letters is easier in ShapeWriter because you don't have to circle or squiggle on the double letter, just glide right through it and it knows what word should appear. It also is clearer when it is adding a word to the dictionary, because it asks whether to add or not.

I haven't yet tried SlideIt, so cannot comment on it. You say Swype seems slow in comparison? Amazing, because so far both of the ones I have tried responded quickly. Now you have peaked my curiosity, I may have to try out SlideIt for myself.

I'm looking forward to reading other comments here.

you guys are aware that Swype is available now by signing up on their website. there have been a few issues getting the beta rolling, nothing that can't be quickly resolved by switching input methods.

i've been using Swype exclusively for the past 3 months, 2 months on my WinMo phone and a month on the N1. i prefer Swype over all the other input methods. i like that it has left, right, up & down arrows, Cut, Copy and Paste, etc. once it goes on sale, i'll be buying it!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links