Does your WIFI collection stay up?

This is a discussion on Does your WIFI collection stay up? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by reapur maybe it's time to root. I've been putting it off because I've had no good reason to do it, but now... ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does your WIFI collection stay up?

Quote Originally Posted by reapur View Post
    maybe it's time to root.
    I've been putting it off because I've had no good reason to do it, but now...
    Or you can set your hotmail polling period to 5 mins like I did, which will keep the network going most of the time. I don' t think desire is stable enough yet.

I just signed up to report in this post that this is happening to me also. Most threads around the net seem to be drifting from the wifi sleep issue, but it is certainly a real problem.

In my case, I have wi-fi at home, and a different wi-fi network at work. One AP is an edimax, one is netgear, both support 802.11n. My N1 is configured for wi-fi never sleep, but when the phone goes to sleep it seems to drop off wifi, and when I unlock it next it does not seem to reconnect until I pick settings/wireless/wifi-settings. Once I have done this (and this menu has kicked of a background AP scan) it does reconnect without me needing to select he network manually. I just need the menu load to get the scan going.

Im on a 512mb 3g data plan, and I also run a sip softphone for business connectivity, so I require wifi data to work when the phone is sleeping, and if it does not wotk it costs me a fortune in 3g fees. This is also a problem with suggested pinger apps and so on as a workaround.

Obviously lots of people are having this problem so lets hope for an official fix soon. I'll be happy with that or will go a custom rom as soon as my dead green pixel warranty issues are sorted out.

PS My previous HTC Magic was a lot less buggy than the N1, it did all this fine.

Quote Originally Posted by antus View Post
    I just signed up to report in this post that this is happening to me also. Most threads around the net seem to be drifting from the wifi sleep issue, but it is certainly a real problem.

In my case, I have wi-fi at home, and a different wi-fi network at work. One AP is an edimax, one is netgear, both support 802.11n. My N1 is configured for wi-fi never sleep, but when the phone goes to sleep it seems to drop off wifi, and when I unlock it next it does not seem to reconnect until I pick settings/wireless/wifi-settings. Once I have done this (and this menu has kicked of a background AP scan) it does reconnect without me needing to select he network manually. I just need the menu load to get the scan going.

Im on a 512mb 3g data plan, and I also run a sip softphone for business connectivity, so I require wifi data to work when the phone is sleeping, and if it does not wotk it costs me a fortune in 3g fees. This is also a problem with suggested pinger apps and so on as a workaround.

Obviously lots of people are having this problem so lets hope for an official fix soon. I'll be happy with that or will go a custom rom as soon as my dead green pixel warranty issues are sorted out.

PS My previous HTC Magic was a lot less buggy than the N1, it did all this fine.
    Yikes that's not good. Perhaps you should switch to Desire ROM sooner than later. I have that one in my Nandroid backup and when I tried it, WIFI was rock stable.

I forgot to post that I got ToggleWifi from the market. Once tap turns it off, another tap turns it back on and boom, it reconnects. It's very annoying. Not a super phone google, super annoying problems that you are not addressing.

Solution

I was having same problems on my on my nexus with my home wifi. Connection drops and it seems to never be able to reconnect without restarting wifi. Was getting the "Connection unsuccessful, touch to try again" message.

Annoyed, I ended up spending few weeks developing an android application through my work that would resolve these issues.

The app is called "Fix My WiFi". I haven't had any problems since. Give it a try!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Z View Post
    I was having same problems on my on my nexus with my home wifi. Connection drops and it seems to never be able to reconnect without restarting wifi. Was getting the "Connection unsuccessful, touch to try again" message.

Annoyed, I ended up spending few weeks developing an android application through my work that would resolve these issues.

The app is called "Fix My WiFi". I haven't had any problems since. Give it a try!

Cheers
    What does it exactly do?

Well without giving away too much of the magic, it does 4 things:

- It monitors your WiFi Policy settings to make sure they are correct.

- A bg service monitors a whole bunch of broadcast messages to do with connectivity. When it recognises that your WiFi has enters a certain state (the state that makes it fail when reconnecting), it kicks of a thread that restores the wifi to a working state.

- There is a optional setting to have it perform the working state restore pre-emptively (when ever a wifi connection is lost), so that it will be in a working state before it encounters the next access point.

- There is also an optional setting for you to lock the wifi. This stops it going into the idle state, which is the time when the connections seem to drop unexpectedly.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Z View Post
    Well without giving away too much of the magic, it does 4 things:

- It monitors your WiFi Policy settings to make sure they are correct.

- A bg service monitors a whole bunch of broadcast messages to do with connectivity. When it recognises that your WiFi has enters a certain state (the state that makes it fail when reconnecting), it kicks of a thread that restores the wifi to a working state.

- There is a optional setting to have it perform the working state restore pre-emptively (when ever a wifi connection is lost), so that it will be in a working state before it encounters the next access point.

- There is also an optional setting for you to lock the wifi. This stops it going into the idle state, which is the time when the connections seem to drop unexpectedly.

Hope this helps!
    Sounds like it doesn't rely on a frequent polling technique, correct?

Yep that's correct. No Polling

Aaah, the perfect thread for me. I've been fighting to get my phone to not sleep (to avoid the dropping wifi problem). Unfortunately, everytime I put my phone into or out of the dock, it changes the screen timeout. If I have it set to "Never Timeout" then putting it into the dock changes it to 10 minutes, and if I take it out of the dock, it changes it to 1 minute. This isn't the official dock btw, it's a hong kong $10 thing.

I'm perfectly happy to have the screen timeout, as long as it won't drop the wifi.

Question for Christian_Z : Does your app keep wifi connected all the time regardless of whether I have it enabled or disabled? Or does it basically look at the wifi toggle, see that it's enabled and do the hard work of making sure it gets connected and stays connected, until the toggle switches it off.

When I'm at home I want my wifi on permanently and when I'm out, I want it off permanently. So I'll toggle the wifi switch myself. Will your app take care of the keeping it connected?

Does anyone know if there's a bugzilla database of Android/Nexus bugs? Do we know if this behavior is logged and accepted for fixing in the next update?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links