Google voice -- best way to setup call forwarding?

This is a discussion on Google voice -- best way to setup call forwarding? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by bongster Is there any disadvantage to using method #2? If you use your GV as the primary number, is there any disadvantage? ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Google voice -- best way to setup call forwarding?

Quote Originally Posted by bongster View Post
    Is there any disadvantage to using method #2?

If you use your GV as the primary number, is there any disadvantage?
    I can't think of any, but I would like to be sure...
    I think it just comes down to preference--do you like how GV works or not. Also consider any issues with quality of talk over GV versus your carrier. Some people have had issues with bad connections/noise over GV, but I personally haven't.

I ported my old number to the N1 but started using Google Voice with this phone so gave everybody my GV number as my new number. So far everybody I know thinks my old number is gone and uses my new GV number.

Today I got an international call from a friend and I remarked on how amazingly clear the connection was. Turns out that he had dialed my actual mobile number because he never updated it to the GV one.

So, I think there is definitely a hit in call quality using GV because this was the first time I heard a direct call (that too an international one) through T-mobile and it was noticeably clearer than every other (GV) call I've had on this phone.

I don't see any disadvantages in using GV. Maybe you need to be more specific as far as what you would think would constitute a disadvantage in your case.

I use GV daily for incoming and outgoing phone calls. Never had a problem.

heres my issue. Granted I dont have my N1:nexusx: (yet... still waiting on it to get delivered!)

I have a blackberry 8900:blackberry: on T-Mobile which I tried to use with my Google Voice Number. i had it set up to forward calls from GVoice to my cell phone, and unless i was in an area that had EDGE network (its not a 3G phone ), it simply did not work. I never recieved a notification of an incoming call and sometimes I would get the voicemail notification as much as several days later.

Overall, it was NOT working for me and I had to go back to simply using my cell number. Major pain in the ass to say the least.

My question for ya'll is how does gvoice work for you? Do you have any problems with being in an area of GPRS service and not getting gvoice to work? Do you have any issues with voicemail notification?

Quote Originally Posted by bongster View Post
    Hi all,

Planning to get an (unlocked) Nexus one and a new Tmobile. I am not particularly attached to my existing (AT&T wireless) phone number.... Its OK if I have to switch to a new number.

Now... to the Google Voice question...

As I understand it, there are two ways to set up Google Voice:

1. Forward your cell phone to Google Voice.
    In this method, you give your (Tmobile) number to everyone who wants to call you.
    Use Google Voice app on Nexus One to check voice mail.

or
    2. Forward your Google Voice to your cell phone.
    In this method you publicize your Google Voice number.
    (BTW, when you make a phone call, do you use Google Voice to make the call? Otherwise, how to you prevent people from seeing t

Question: I see some pros and some cons with either approach. I would like to hear from people and see what they think is the more useful setup.

Please share your setup on this thread!

Thanks in advance for your comments/feedback!
    In method one, wouldn't that create a loop? Someone calls your Tmobile number, it forwards to your GV number, GV forwards to your Tmobile number, lather, rinse, repeat?

I have, I think, #2. Hand out the Gvoice number and calls come to my N1 from them. They (Google voice) handle the voicemail as well.

The only problem I have is I'm not much of a fan of their text messaging app, and if you send MMS, you still have to expose your tmobile number because gvoice doesn't support it.

Also still dealing with the problem of multiple incoming text messages, where someone texts my google voice number and I get that one plus a forwarded one to my real number... Can't seem to find the setting to stop that stuff...

Oh, and with #2, on the N1 (I assume other androids, too) you can set it to give you a choice of which to dial from (your phone or through the Google Voice app), or your phone all the time, or your google voice all the time... same when you send a text, it can prompt you...

Quote Originally Posted by jadoti View Post
    In method one, wouldn't that create a loop? Someone calls your Tmobile number, it forwards to your GV number, GV forwards to your Tmobile number, lather, rinse, repeat?
    No, it would not create a loop. If you use method #1, you would not set it up to forward back from Google Voice to your cell phone.

Someone calls your phone. You don't pick up phone. Call gets forwarded to GV and voice mail gets recorded in GV.
    The Google Voice app running on your phone now "sees" there is a voicemail left in your GV account.

The only problem I have is I'm not much of a fan of their text messaging app, and if you send MMS, you still have to expose your tmobile number because gvoice doesn't support it.
    Correct. GV does not support MMS. (not an issue for me as I have no need for MMS).

Also still dealing with the problem of multiple incoming text messages, where someone texts my google voice number and I get that one plus a forwarded one to my real number... Can't seem to find the setting to stop that stuff...
    I have not used an Android phone with GV app, so I am not 100% sure. But I think you are using this method incorrectly. If you are using an android phone with the GV app running on it, then there is NO need to forward text messages sent to your GV number, to your phone. Do not set up any forwarding of text messages at all.

When someone sends a text message to your GV number, it will just sit there in your GV account. The GV android app will then "find" the text message and show it to you on your phone.

This, in fact, is the major advantage of using method #2. This way, you do not ever need to sign up for a text messaging plan, and nor do you need to pay a per-SMS charge.

Oh, and with #2, on the N1 (I assume other androids, too) you can set it to give you a choice of which to dial from (your phone or through the Google Voice app), or your phone all the time, or your google voice all the time... same when you send a text, it can prompt you...
    Indeed. This is also another advantage of using method #2 as this way, the receiving party sees the correct caller ID (your GV number) -- your actual mobile number can stay "hidden".

Quote Originally Posted by SIUav8er View Post
    heres my issue. Granted I dont have my N1:nexusx: (yet... still waiting on it to get delivered!)

I have a blackberry 8900:blackberry: on T-Mobile which I tried to use with my Google Voice Number. i had it set up to forward calls from GVoice to my cell phone, and unless i was in an area that had EDGE network (its not a 3G phone ), it simply did not work. I never recieved a notification of an incoming call and sometimes I would get the voicemail notification as much as several days later.

Overall, it was NOT working for me and I had to go back to simply using my cell number. Major pain in the ass to say the least.

My question for ya'll is how does gvoice work for you? Do you have any problems with being in an area of GPRS service and not getting gvoice to work? Do you have any issues with voicemail notification?

The phone rings anyway when someone calls you on your GV number, therefore you already know someone called you.

All you need to do to check your message is to access your GV inbox.

No need for internet connection.

Even if you don't here the phone ring, you get a missed call notification from your phone.

The only disadvantage of not having a data plan when using GV is the lack of SMS.
    It will not work without an internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    The only disadvantage of not having a data plan when using GV is the lack of SMS.
    It will not work without an internet connection.
    Hmm... but why would one use an Android phone without a data plan?

to save money

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links