Google voice -- best way to setup call forwarding?

This is a discussion on Google voice -- best way to setup call forwarding? within the Nexus One Application Discussion forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by dixy2k to save money I hope I am not missing anything here, but: Two arguments against this: 1. Assuming you do not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Google voice -- best way to setup call forwarding?

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    to save money
    I hope I am not missing anything here, but:

Two arguments against this:

1. Assuming you do not have an "unlimited" SMS or "unlimited" data plan:
    SMS is much more expensive than a data plan (approx 30 cents per SMS, assume about 30 bytes per SMS, translates $0.01/byte. vs approx $2/MB on data on TMobile "Mobile Web", which translates to $0.000002/byte). If your goal is to save money, you should do everything to avoid SMS and instead, use data.

2a) If your goal is to save on data plan money, why are you using an Android (or any other "smart" ) phone? Isn't the whole point of using these phones to be able to stay connected to the internet all the time? If you wish to save money, especially on data, shouldn't you get a non-smart phone?

2b) As far as I know, T-mobile will not let you have a Nexus One (or any other smart phone) without an unlimited data plan. If this is correct, then your reasoning seems to be flawed.

I don't use SMS. So I don't incur any extra charges there.
    I only use wi-fi (when available).

I can use a smartphone perfectly without a data plan, since I need some features that I cannot find on a non smartphone.

Regarding T-Mo data plan, you only have to get a data plan if your purchase was subsidized.

Quote Originally Posted by bongster View Post
    2. Forward your Google Voice to your cell phone.
    In this method you publicize your Google Voice number.
    I just realized that my method #2 question was framed slightly incorrectly.

In method #2, you are not really supposed to be forwarding from GV to your phone, correct?
    (If you forwarded your calls, and you did not pick up your cell phone, it would then go into your T-Mobile voice mail, thereby defeating the whole purpose of using GV)

Is there some kind of IP protocol the GV servers use to tell the GV app (on your phone) to make it ring on the phone, and then if you do not pick it up, it goes into your GV voice mail box.

Or, am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance...

All messages from GV will go to GV inbox, not your phone carrier. You are supposed to forward all your calls to your phone number.

(If you forwarded your calls, and you did not pick up your cell phone, it would then go into your T-Mobile voice mail, thereby defeating the whole purpose of using GV)

All messages from GV will go to GV inbox, not your phone carrier. You are supposed to forward all your calls to your phone number.

dixy2k, thanks.
    But when someone calls my GV number, how will my phone ring?

There is no difference in the the phone rings.

You can probably assign a special ring tone to different phone numbers to distinguish between carriers that way.

I didn't do that. They all ring the same, except a few of them (family members).

There's nothing bad about GV, you should just try it.

Just remember you will not save any money/minutes on T-Mo plans, unless you have the unlimited minutes plan. Otherwise all your GV conversations will eat away from your voice plan minutes.

can anyone send me an invite pls?

There is no difference in the the phone rings.

You can probably assign a special ring tone to different phone numbers to distinguish between carriers that way.

I didn't do that. They all ring the same, except a few of them (family members).
    dixy2k, sorry, but that was not my question.
    I was asking if you know *how*, when someone calls your GV number, does the phone know it has to ring?
    (I am assuming you do not have GV setup to forward calls to your cell)

Quote Originally Posted by bongster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jadoti View Post
    In method one, wouldn't that create a loop? Someone calls your Tmobile number, it forwards to your GV number, GV forwards to your Tmobile number, lather, rinse, repeat?
    No, it would not create a loop. If you use method #1, you would not set it up to forward back from Google Voice to your cell phone.

Someone calls your phone. You don't pick up phone. Call gets forwarded to GV and voice mail gets recorded in GV.
    The Google Voice app running on your phone now "sees" there is a voicemail left in your GV account.
    Thanks for the clarification.

The only problem I have is I'm not much of a fan of their text messaging app, and if you send MMS, you still have to expose your tmobile number because gvoice doesn't support it.
    Correct. GV does not support MMS. (not an issue for me as I have no need for MMS).
    It's not much of an issue here, either, but for an all encompasing solution, it would be nice if they offered it.

Also still dealing with the problem of multiple incoming text messages, where someone texts my google voice number and I get that one plus a forwarded one to my real number... Can't seem to find the setting to stop that stuff...
    I have not used an Android phone with GV app, so I am not 100% sure. But I think you are using this method incorrectly.
    You're correct, I wasn't. There's an option on the google voice site that allows me to turn this off. All has been working well since.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links