Transferring music to SD Card

This is a discussion on Transferring music to SD Card within the Nexus One Audio / Video forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi, I bought a 32gb SD card off ebay a few days ago with the intention of putting my whole music collection (12gb) on so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transferring music to SD Card

Transferring music to SD Card

Hi,

I bought a 32gb SD card off ebay a few days ago with the intention of putting my whole music collection (12gb) on so i could use my phone as an mp3 player.

When i copy my music to my phones sd card, it only manages to copy about 3-4gb of music before my pc freezes. Just before my pc freezes, the phone shows up as not being mounted ( as if i have unplugged the phone from the pc and plugged it back in again). When i unplug the phone and restart it. It tells me that the SD card is damaged and needs to be formatted.

I have tried using a program called doubletwist, and i have also tried plugging the sd card into my pc's card reader, and copying directly to the sd card.

I have also done a scandisk on the card in windows, which didnt find anything. So the card doesnt appear to be faulty.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem as this. I have searched around and cant find anything.

Phone Details:

Model Number : Nexus One
    Build Number : EPF30
    Firmware Version : 2.1-update1
    Network : Vodafone UK

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

St33dy

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

What brand SD? Maybe one of those 4GB cards erroneously marked as 32?

Did you format the card before you tried to use it? Also are you trying to move all at once? I found moving small amounts at a time works better. Like 2GB at a time.

The card is definately a 32gb card. Its made by scandisk, and when i browse to "sd card and phone storage" within the phone it shows as 32gb free. Originally i didnt format it before copying music over, but i have formatted it through the nexus one since. I have also tried copying music over in small amounts, which will allow me to copy a little bit more data, but still ends up doing the same thing.

One thing probably worth pointing out. It wont let me format the card in windows. After about a minute, a message comes up saying "unable to format", but when i plug it lets me format the card.

Thanks

St33dy

I suggest you check your SD card with h2testw:

Test and Detect Fake or Counterfeit USB Flash Drives Bought from eBay with H2testw Raymond.CC Blog

It's designed for USD drives but can also check memory cards. I have purchased a branded 16 GB memory card from eBay a few months ago, and it turned out to be a fake with only 4GB .

Jim

Ok Thanks. Ill give that a try now

can you not connect the sd card direct to the pc using an adapter. The pc must work so much faster that going through the phone.

I am asking as i want to know this as well

Yes, i bought an adapter. I have realised that mine is a dodgy sd card thanks to GandJim's post earlier. I have a working 4gb card, and in my experience it doesnt seem to be much faster copying files to the micro sd card through an adapter, but its useful if you want to copy lots of data, and dont want to leave your phone connected to your pc

Quote Originally Posted by St33dy View Post
    Yes, i bought an adapter. I have realised that mine is a dodgy sd card thanks to GandJim's post earlier. I have a working 4gb card, and in my experience it doesnt seem to be much faster copying files to the micro sd card through an adapter, but its useful if you want to copy lots of data, and dont want to leave your phone connected to your pc
    If the adapter is USB based, then there is no speed increase since the phone connects via USB also.

It's kind of a "no win" situation: either you have to leave the phone connected to transfer the files; or you have to shut the phone down to remove the SD card.

Aside from the obvious "is you card damaged" question...are you trying to copy individual songs or one big folder? Reason being is that if the card is formatted as FAT then the largest file size it can use is 4GB. In other words if you are trying to copy a 12GB folder to it it will cause an error after 4GB. Just food for thought. I am not sure if the phone will support any other formats then FAT. It would be nice if it supported EXT2 EXT3 or EXT4, on the windows side NTFS would be nice but can create headaches as well. At any rate if you are trying to copy A folder then maybe try opening the folder first and just copying the songs individually and not as a folder...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links