N1 Guide to Rooting & Flashing Cyanogen

This is a discussion on N1 Guide to Rooting & Flashing Cyanogen within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I'm going to try and keep this as short as possible but also explain everything needed for the beginner that is attempting to root his/her ...

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: N1 Guide to Rooting & Flashing Cyanogen

N1 Guide to Rooting & Flashing Cyanogen

I'm going to try and keep this as short as possible but also explain everything needed for the beginner that is attempting to root his/her first android (N1) phone.

1. Setting up Android-SDK

1a. Download Android-SDK
    1b. Extract the folder out of the .zip file
    1c. Launch SDK Setup
    1d. In the "Choose Packages to Install" window, select the bubble for "Accept All" and click install. This process will download approx 1.3gb.
    1e. rename the folder from "android-sdk-windows" to "n1", this will make future steps easier.
    1f. move the n1 folder to the root of the c:, again this will make future steps easier
    **Troubleshooting: Force download in the settings menu if you receive the error below (see attached pic):
    Failed to fetch URL https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/re...repository.xml, reason: HTTPS SSL error. You might want to force download through HTTP in the settings

2. Enabling USB Debugging on the N1

2. On your N1, go in to settings>applications>development, check the USB debugging box.

3. Unlock the Bootloader

3a. Download fastboot
    3b. Move the fastboot-windows file from the zip file into your C:\N1\tools folder
    3c. Shutdown your N1 & connect your usb cable. While holding down the track ball press the power button, this will put the N1 in the fastboot menu.
    3d. On your PC open a command prompt. Navigate to your C:\N1\tools folder. commands if needed are: cd \ [enter], cd n1 [enter], cd tools [enter]
    3e. Type "fastboot-windows oem unlock" with out quotations. This will bring up a prompt on your phone to unlock the boot loader. By doing this you will void your warrenty and it will factory reset your phone.
    3f. repeat step 2 to enable usb debugging.

4. Rooting with Superboot

4a. on your N1 go to Settings>About Phone>Build number.
    4b. Go to superboot and download the version for the ERE number that matches your build number from step 4a. Extract the superboot folder out of the .zip folder. You can put this folder directly on your desktop if you like.
    4c. Reboot the N1 into bootloader mode, refer to step 3c.
    4d. Double click the install-superboot-windows.bat file. A command prompt should flash and that's it, now your rooted!
    **What is Hymem? -Check out this thread for more info.

5. Install Amon-Ra Recovery Image

5a. Download latest Amon-Ra Recovery Image, make sure you download the version for cyaogen.
    5b. Place the .img file in the C:\N1\tools folder
    5c. Reboot the N1 into Fastboot, refer to step 3c.
    5d. Navigate to your C:\N1\tools folder within the command promt, refer to step 3d.
    5e. Type fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-nexus-v1.7.0.img [enter], the file name and/or version numbers may change from v1.7.0 so enter which ever the latest verion is that you downloaded. You should receive two messages in the cmd that says it loaded ok.

6. Back Up Your Rom!

6a. Reboot the N1 with the reboot option in bootloader mode. As soon as the screen goes black hold in the volume down button. If you miss it and the phone boots normally don't worry, just power down the phone and power it back on while holding down the volume down button.
    6b. Once you get to the Hboot menu (looks just like the fasboot menu) give it a few seconds and you'll see some green message appear and go away. Highlight "Recovery" and press the power button to activate it. Your phone will reboot in to Amon-RA recovery image. If your phone reboots and you see an android with an exclamation mark then you are not rooted are you need to go back to step 4.
    6c. In Amon-RA recovery select Backup/Restore then select the first Nand backup option. This will make a backup of your stock rom in a folder named nandroid on your sd card.

Wiping & Installing Cyanogen
    7a. Download the latest cyanogen rom & Google Addon, place both .zip files on the root of your sd card. (do not extract the zip files)
    7b. Go back in to Amon-RA recovery image, refer to step 6a & 6b
    7c. Select Wipe from the Amon-RA main menu then select Wipe data/factory reset
    7d. On the Amon-RA main menu, select Flash zip from sd card. select the cyanogen rom from the menu and follow onscreen instruction.
    7e. Once the cyanogen rom is finished loading, repeat the same steps in 7d and flash the Google Addon.
    7f. After both are done select the reboot system menu option and your on your way!!

**Notes: I wrote this by memory. If anyone sees something out of place please let me know and i'll edit it. Although everything should be just fine :D

Happy Rooting!!

If this guide has helped you, spare some change :D
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Talking Thanks a ton

Thank you so much. I have been looking for a complete guide like this. This is going to be my first time flashing or even rooting my nexus one. I will let you know how it goes.
    Please confirm if there are any sdk issues with windows 7. I have access to both XP and windows 7. Which OS should I use?

Link to fastboot is redirected to Modaco. I searched and found the following link
    HTC - Developer Center

Is this the right version? It says its for Dev Phone 1.

A couple of items of note:
    Once you root this way you will not see "3G" any longer, it will be replaced with an "H". This is ok, its just a different way to show 3G (HSDPA)

thats crazy because after flashing to the new Cyanogen i see everything from the blank signal with no heading, i see H,G,3G and no signal :S is this a radio error or just a flashing error ?
    NEXUS ONE
    11.02.2010 - SuperBoot Rooted
    24.02.2010 - Amon Ra's Recovery
    24.02.2010 - 05.10.2010 Cyanogen Era
    06.10.2010 - 08.12.2010 - RoDrIgUeZsTyLe´s MIUIMOD Era
    04.05.2011 - CyanogenMod 7.0.3

NOTION INK ADAM
    04.04.2011 - Rooted & CW Recovery Installed
    04.04.2011 - BEAST 2.1.3 PQi + 3g Version
    02.05.2011 - BEAST 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by deVil81 View Post
    Link to fastboot is redirected to Modaco. I searched and found the following link
    HTC - Developer Center

Is this the right version? It says its for Dev Phone 1.
    Originally it was a direct link to the .zip file. I just changed the link so it now directs to the site to download it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
    thats crazy because after flashing to the new Cyanogen i see everything from the blank signal with no heading, i see H,G,3G and no signal :S is this a radio error or just a flashing error ?
    Did this start happening before or after you flashed your radio?

wow great tutorial scotty! will def use when it comes time!

Great tut! If you don't mind, I will link to this thread in the Official Rooted Converts thread. Please PM me if you don't want it to be included in my links compilation.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMonster View Post
    Great tut! If you don't mind, I will link to this thread in the Official Rooted Converts thread. Please PM me if you don't want it to be included in my links compilation.
    Feel free :D

I get this error when trying to install the SDK file : Failed to fetch URL https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/re...repository.xml, reason: HTTPS SSL error. You might want to force download through HTTP in the settings.

So I'm stumped right out of the box, any ideas?

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links