Pre-Rooting Questions, Terminology wtf

This is a discussion on Pre-Rooting Questions, Terminology wtf within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I've given in. I wanted to avoid rooting until my warranty expired, but i can't resist any longer. The benefits are just far to great ...

Thread: Pre-Rooting Questions, Terminology wtf

Pre-Rooting Questions, Terminology wtf

I've given in. I wanted to avoid rooting until my warranty expired, but i can't resist any longer. The benefits are just far to great (ps - i hate/love you guys). I'm going to root this week and have never done this before and am hoping to get some answers to a few questions.

I've read through about 5 different guides to how to root and don't think it'll be difficult, so my questions are not about the process.

For you to better understand my situation I bought my N1 the first week of march, got to OTA update immediately (multi-touch), plan on using the latest c-mod rom.

So here's what I'd like some help understanding:

What are:
    (in settings > about)
    - kernel version: i've seen references to this and don't understand what it is or does.

- build: (currently listed as ERE27) Does this refer to the radio. Is it the most up-to-date or can it be updated? If this doesn't refer to the radio does one just assume that their radio is old and there is a new version.

- when other forum members are writing "EPE54B" in their signatures what does that mean?

- Where do you guys find your different themes and how does this customization work. It seems like there are 3 different parts to be modded: the notification bar, the main pages, and the dock at the bottom. Is that correct? How does one go about installing these themes.

- If i back-up my applications via astro will my in program data be saved (ie. game progress, app settings, etc.) and then easily transferred to the wiped phone?

- I would love to under-volt my phone for longer battery life. this is the main link i seem to find.
    UPDATED 03/23: Nexus One Kernel - Undervolted for battery life - 2.6.33.1 | IQ0: News, Chat, Life
    are there different ways that people undervolt the phone or is this THE way? Anyone this its not worth it?

- superboot? most root walk-throughs i've seen don't have it included but some do. What is it used for? (i guess i had one questions about the process, my bad)

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

still waiting on verizon nexus one but cyanogen is coming out with a new ROM very soon (he usually does every few days) i saw on twitter with a few minor updates. check out the k-spec theme but other then that i can't really help you.

after doing more research....to answer my own question about themes for those that might be curious

Android Themes - xda-developers

- kernel version: i've seen references to this and don't understand what it is or does.
    The android OS use a modified version of the Linux 2.6 kernel. When changes are made to the core Android kernel, a new version # is assigned to it.

- build: (currently listed as ERE27) Does this refer to the radio. Is it the most up-to-date or can it be updated? If this doesn't refer to the radio does one just assume that their radio is old and there is a new version.
    The build is the installed radio version or RIL. The RIL or Radio Interface Layer is the bridge between Android's telephony services and the radio hardware; think of it like a driver. All that are/were available thus far:

ERD79 - original radio shipped with original N1.
    ERE27 - current "official" radio provided by OTA update.
    ERE36B - leaked mid-February 2010
    EPE54B - leaked early-March 2010
    EPE76 - leaked late-March 2010 (maybe intended for Europe?)

You can flash your radio to whatever version you'd like, but this is the most risky process of all the things that go into the unlock/root/flash dance. Whenever you do this, have 100% full battery charge and DO NOT under any circumstance remove the battery while flashing the radio; this is a recipe for instant brickage.

I've read in more than one place that there's no real reason to flash the radio unless you're experiencing connectivity problems, but I did flash it to EPE54B to be certain that my CM had a "good marriage" with the RIL. After all, it is what appears to be the recommended radio (and Gapps addon version) for use with the latest CM.

- when other forum members are writing "EPE54B" in their signatures what does that mean?
    That's just the radio version (RIL) they've flashed to their phones. See list of radios above...

- Where do you guys find your different themes and how does this customization work. It seems like there are 3 different parts to be modded: the notification bar, the main pages, and the dock at the bottom. Is that correct? How does one go about installing these themes.
    You sorted that out...

- If i back-up my applications via astro will my in program data be saved (ie. game progress, app settings, etc.) and then easily transferred to the wiped phone?
    You should be good as long as you don't wipe/partition the SD card for Apps2SD...if this is your plan, you will need to back up the SD card stuff too; there are likely some cache files, settings, etc stored on it from the apps/games you use. Maybe you could mount and explore the card to find out. Since I did the Apps2SD thing with my new 16bg SD card, I backed up my old SD to my desktop. Then, after flashing everything, I actually went back to the Market and reinstalled my apps from there to make sure they'd be installed to the SD card. Also, if you install from your Astro backup, I don't think the Market will "remember" you...don't quote me on that though.

Another option (paid/donation ware) is to look into the Titanium Backup / MyBackup Pro combination. In addition to the usual Nandroid backup, many rooted users seem to use these two also; Titanium for apps and MyBackup for data. Apparently, restoring your apps from the donation version of Titanium ($3.99 min) will relink them with the market so you'll get notifications of updates, etc. I think the Pro version of MyBackup is $4.99...

- I would love to under-volt my phone for longer battery life. this is the main link i seem to find.
    UPDATED 03/23: Nexus One Kernel - Undervolted for battery life - 2.6.33.1 | IQ0: News, Chat, Life
    are there different ways that people undervolt the phone or is this THE way? Anyone this its not worth it?
    I haven't taken the plunge here yet...I haven't really had any issues with battery life. Here's some more undervolting threads over at XDA to check out:
    [Kernel-.33.1!] Undervolted @ Stock Speeds-3/23 - Cyanogen Source - Thanks Bro! - xda-developers
    [Kernel-.33.1] OCed - UVed: CM Source-1.113Ghz Stable! - 3/23 - xda-developers
    [Kernel - .32 & .33]Conservative Power Governor Kernel (with several tweaks) - xda-developers

- superboot? most root walk-throughs i've seen don't have it included but some do. What is it used for? (i guess i had one questions about the process, my bad)
    I did it the first time, only to find out CM has su permissions and himem hard-coded into his ROM. It's not a necessary if you're going to install a Cyanogen ROM, but if you want to be certain you have su permissions, I guess it wont hurt. I don't know about other ROMs...you'll just have to follow their guides. XDA and Modoco are the best sources of current info on ROMs, mods, themes, etc.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit...

Thank you. You are the man.

I am beginning my rooting process now!

Good luck and enjoy the new freedom/commitment! You'll be a slave to your toy, flashing and backing up and reflashing and rebacking up and rereflashing a couple times a month or when something shiny and new comes along!!

I caved and did it for the first time a couple weeks ago and have since reflashed the ROM twice (updated CM) and mods and themes and so on. Every time the procedure gets a little more complex. Just remember, nandroid backup is your friend. I'd recommend making a list of the steps you take (I did this in a txt file), one by one, so that the next time you wipe and flash a new ROM, theme, mod, etc you have a reference...at least until you have the procedure memorized.

It really is a learning experience, but it's worthwhile to understand the ins-and-outs of your device, and after a while reading those threads over @ XDA won't seem like foriegn language anymore...

By the way, if you didn't know this already, you will lose OTAs from Google when you root and flash your new ROM, but I guess that's the price you pay to play. I think full control is worth it though...

I rooted the phone last night! I am extremely happy with the results. Can't wait to explore the new possibilities.

Thanks for your help.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links