Rooting regrets?

This is a discussion on Rooting regrets? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Anyone here having rooting regrets or things they miss that you wish were available that aren't anymore after you rooted? I'm close to taking the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooting regrets?

Rooting regrets?

Anyone here having rooting regrets or things they miss that you wish were available that aren't anymore after you rooted?

I'm close to taking the plunge and rooting my N1. My big concerns (outside of bricking the phone/voiding the warranty) are:
    1- It's going to be a much bigger pain in the butt to keep the phone updated because I won't get OTA updates and it'll be more buggy with more force closes and whatnot (I maybe mistaken for both of those, please let me know if I'm wrong)

2- Could degrade resale value. (I'll probably keep my nexus for at least a year, but unless T-Mobile delivers on their HSPA+ network promises which they were supposed to launch in January -- I know, I know, they just need to upgrade the pipes, but T-mobile shouldn't have been douches and touted this publicly without having the pipes to make it really happen -- I don't know if I can pass up if/when Verizon get's something like the EVO/Supersonic in 2011)

3- The whole rooting vernacular/terminology/new world/getting help fixing things can sometimes seem like a huge problem. You're kinda on your own when you root and man, I just gotta say, some of the folks on the XDA forums can be jerks. I've been lurking there for a while now and seen at least half a dozen folks get *****ed out for little reason. I know about using search and how the same posts repeatedly can be lame, but seriously some of them are out of line. ... Which is why I love this site so much more!

Is there anything else I should know about before I take the dive? (Or anything here I'm totally off base about.)

Thanks for your guidance!

:nexusx: A new hope. :nexusx:

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I regret not doing it sooner

If you do end up rooting, and are worried about the constant "upkeep" of having to update the ROMs I would suggest going with CyanogenMod and getting CyanogenMod Updater from the market. The Dev is constantly updating and improving and this will let you know when an update is released, it will download it for you and flash the new ROM for you BOOM OTA Cyan style. I don't even mess with posting on XDA for the pure fact that a higher percentage of the users over there are not very helpful and are rude more than anything. There is a Hacks and Development section in the forums here and people are more than helpful if you run into issues/problems/questions (I even read of a guy that walked another member through the whole rooting process during a meeting lol).
    CyanogenMod 6.0.0

Part Monster, Part Machine, ALL ANDROID

I am a relative noob and I do regret not doing it sooner...i worried about all the reasons NexusWon mentioned. Cyanogen is the way to go...have had no fcs and am on day 5. You are right about xda fostering a hostile environment that is why I searched this forum and youtube vids when I ran into some hiccups during rooting..the hiccups were all my fault..not paying attention to detail..but all in all a pretty good process. The phone seems way stable and the only thing not working before is the weather widget, which I use beautiful widgets for that, but I was just going to search this forum because I saw it mentioned here.
    CM7.0.3
    Overclocked 1113

Not gotten into rooting yet but am wondering what is CyanogenMod?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by disbj4ke View Post
    If you do end up rooting, and are worried about the constant "upkeep" of having to update the ROMs I would suggest going with CyanogenMod and getting CyanogenMod Updater from the market. The Dev is constantly updating and improving and this will let you know when an update is released, it will download it for you and flash the new ROM for you BOOM OTA Cyan style.
    Oh wow, I'm definitely going to do it now. This was one of my worries... the never ending challenge of keeping updated. It just appeared to be too much trouble.

Do it. Rooting the Nexus was super easy (much easier than the dumb gold card method I had to do with the Hero).

I like seeing updates in real time (read like more than a couple times a year) and that if I don't like something in a Rom it will get fixed.

Cyanogen is a tweaked stock rom for the Nexus (also the Magic and Dream/G1).

Another rooting question.

If you decide rooting isn't for you can you ether save a copy of original files or download a copy of original files and redo your cell to original state?

Quote Originally Posted by herbmmm View Post
    Another rooting question.

If you decide rooting isn't for you can you ether save a copy of original files or download a copy of original files and redo your cell to original state?
    I've been playing with this over the last day or so and the answer I've found so far is "kinda"... you can restore the original nexus one rom, but you cannot re-lock the bootloader. I think once you've returned to the stock N1 rom, you'll be able to participate in all the OTA updates and such again...

hi just reading through these posts and was wondering what are the benefits of rooting the n1,is it just for free apps?or am i missing something?what can it do after rooting that it can't do just now?genuinely interested

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links