Unlocking Bootloader Question

This is a discussion on Unlocking Bootloader Question within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; If I unlock the bootloader can I download apps such as torch for the N1? It's such a n00b question but once you unlock the ...

Thread: Unlocking Bootloader Question

Unlocking Bootloader Question

If I unlock the bootloader can I download apps such as torch for the N1? It's such a n00b question but once you unlock the bootloader your phone is considered rooted right.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by lrsone View Post
    If I unlock the bootloader can I download apps such as torch for the N1? It's such a n00b question but once you unlock the bootloader your phone is considered rooted right.
    You need to unlock the bootloader and flash a new rom such as Cyanogenmod

but once you unlock the bootloader your phone is considered rooted right.
    It's considered warranty broken, yes. 'Rooted' means you are running a third-party or enhanced ROM, typically.

Thanks for answering, that sucks I don't want to use a custom rom. But yeah I guess I'll wait til Google updates before I decide if I'll do the whole rooting process.

Thanks for answering, that sucks I don't want to use a custom rom. But yeah I guess I'll wait til Google updates before I decide if I'll do the whole rooting process.
    That's where I am too...I have no overriding NEED to root, but it interests me. I want to ensure the things I DO NEED won't be impacted by toying with it, as I rely on the device for business-critical features. I also want to see and experience what Google puts out themselves...there's a few rough edges I'd like to see them address, and that itself may eliminate the desire to root!?! We'll see!

I'm pretty sure everything stated above is incorrect....

By unlocking the bootloader your now allowing your device to be rooted. Once you unlock your bootloader which will give you that menu displaying that you willingly know that you will void your warranty, etc, you can now root which will give you access to its system files.

You do not need or have to install a custom ROM. You can simply root and just run your stock ROM which will allow you to install apps like the N1 torch app and others that require root access, which I believe from the original post is what you were looking for. However, I do highly recommend installing a custom rom because the added benefits like being much faster, much more custom settings, trackball color notifications, etc are worth it but thats personal choice.

I know this has been covered many times but to recap:

>Unlock your bootloader
    >Install the superboot-windows.bat file (root)
    Done
    To go further:
    >Flash Custom Recovery image (Amon's recovery)
    >Nandroid backup your stock rom (in case you want to go back to that)
    >Wipe
    >Install custom ROM

These are not instructions just a recap... more thorough instructions are required indeed but its just an overview and of course assuming you all your superboot & sdk files

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksonj51 View Post
    I'm pretty sure everything stated above is incorrect....

By unlocking the bootloader your now allowing your device to be rooted. Once you unlock your bootloader which will give you that menu displaying that you willingly know that you will void your warranty, etc, you can now root which will give you access to its system files.

You do not need or have to install a custom ROM. You can simply root and just run your stock ROM which will allow you to install apps like the N1 torch app and others that require root access, which I believe from the original post is what you were looking for. However, I do highly recommend installing a custom rom because the added benefits like being much faster, much more custom settings, trackball color notifications, etc are worth it but thats personal choice.

I know this has been covered many times but to recap:

>Unlock your bootloader
    >Install the superboot-windows.bat file (root)
    Done
    To go further:
    >Flash Custom Recovery image (Amon's recovery)
    >Nandroid backup your stock rom (in case you want to go back to that)
    >Wipe
    >Install custom ROM

These are not instructions just a recap... more thorough instructions are required indeed but its just an overview and of course assuming you all your superboot & sdk files
    So if I unlock my bootloader and leave the stock rom on it, will I still be able to get updates from Google when they release their next Android update?

Yep, if you unlock the bootloader and then root you should have no issues getting updates via Google

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links