Question about rooting and phone updates

This is a discussion on Question about rooting and phone updates within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I just picked up the N1 this past weekend after drooling over it since it came out (and I love it). Even before I got ...

Thread: Question about rooting and phone updates

Question about rooting and phone updates

I just picked up the N1 this past weekend after drooling over it since it came out (and I love it). Even before I got the phone I was doing my reading on rooting it. I've rooted my G1 so I'm sorta aware of the process. I've heard that an update is coming around June which gives the N1 flash capability (and I don't know what else but I'm assuming it'll fix some other small things). My question is if I root my phone now to cyanogenmod, when the new update comes out, would I have to go back to stock ROM to get the new update? And when cyanogen makes a ROM for the new update, would I have to reroot the phone again? I don't wanna go through the hassle of rooting, unrooting, and rooting again. I was planning on just leaving the phone alone until this update did come out, but I wanted to ask you guys before firmly deciding

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

1. You could go back to a stock rom to get the OTA update, but as soon as you flashed back to CM or something else, you'd lose it (it would be over-written with a wipe in recovery). I wouldn't worry about it though; I'd bet money that CM and all the other rom devs over at XDA/Modaco will have the flash compatibility added to their roms before most of the general public gets the update pushed OTA to their stock phones.

Honestly, there are so many people itching to get their hands on this, as soon as it gets leaked it will likely be added to the custom roms overnight...plus, there may be a way to install the flash bits independently of the rom. Naturally, this is all hypothetical since we don't know how it will actually be implemented...we'll all just have to wait and see. I'm pretty sure that the devs will find a way super-fast though!

2. No, you will not have to root again...you really don't have to root at all with CM, at least not manually. Once you're unlocked (this is permanent) and you install a recovery image (either Amon RA or Clockwork), you can flash whatever rom you want, stock or custom. If you choose to flash a CM rom, it includes root permissions. That may be true of other custom roms also; I don't know. When a new updated CM rom is released, usually you just have to flash the updated rom in recovery right over the older one, unless of course he provides different instructions. It's a pretty cut-and-dry process.

I think that answers your questions...sorry if I got a little long-winded in my response. I'm sure you already know this, but once you've committed to running rooted with a custom rom, you're going to have to get used to the 'hassle' of managing your own updates, mods, and so on. I guess freedom is sort of a double-edged sword.

Personally, I like the control...what if Google decides to push a 'feature' over to you that you don't want? What about issues/features that can be fixed/added immediately? There are a few out there that can be addressed right now with root access, but stock users have to wait to see these things implemented by Google.

I'm not trying to convince you either way; the choice is yours...red pill or blue pill. And enjoy your new toy!

Thanks so much that was more than I could ask for and helped me out greatly! This gives me a green light to go ahead and root my phone! Thanks again! Thumbs up!

*** Sorry wrong thread -__-

Quote Originally Posted by kc.rkitek View Post
    What about issues/features that can be fixed/added immediately? There are a few out there that can be addressed right now with root access, but stock users have to wait to see these things implemented by Google.
    Ok, I'm a little leery about taking the plunge and modding my Nexus. I'd hate to end up with a $600 brick. One question. You said some of the issues have been fixed in the Mods. Which ones? I know there are often trade offs. Will I lose the Android Market? What do I lose? Can I gain Bluetooth hands free calling? That alone would be worth any risk.

Thanks!

I'll start with the last questions first...
    Will I lose the Android Market?
    Nope. If you install the CyanogenMod rom(aka CM) or a CM-based rom, you'll just have to flash all the Google apps (Market, Maps, etc) on after. There are several links on the download page in his forum to get them.

If you run the Desire rom, I believe the Google apps and some other Modaco addons are included. You can download a pre-made rom for free, or if you're a paying member of Modaco, you can access the online "kitchen" and "bake" your own custom rom.
    What do I lose?
    You will lose OTA updates from Google if you run a custom rom, so you will be responsible for updating your own phone when updates become available. However, with the bootloader unlocked, you can always revert back to a non-root bone-stock Google rom that will accept OTA updates if you wish. As far as I'm concerned no OTAs is not a loss, but some may have a hard time coming to grips with managing their own updates, particularly if they're not technically savvy.

Again, as I mentioned before, with a rooted custom rom you will likely get access the latest mods/enhancements/updates well before stock users get them OTA. So, if you're up to updating yourself, I'd say it's an advantage.
    Can I gain Bluetooth hands free calling?
    Short answer: No.

The code has not yet been implemented in Android...maybe it doesn't even exist; no one knows. This is an outstanding and glaring omission by the Android devs over at Google and has LOADS of people downright furious:
    http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1181
    There are a few market apps that try to fill this gap, but I'd say none of them perfectly fill the void:
    Voice Dialer HF v1.2.1-1 Application for Android | Tools
    Voice-Confirming Dialer v1.0.3 Application for Android | Communication
    TopVoiceControl v1.4.0 Application for Android | Tools

Also, if you don't already own a BT headset, this one has a way to store 10 "speed-dial" numbers in it which reportedly plays well with Android phones: BlueAnt Q1 Voice Controlled Headset - BlueAnt Wireless
    This is something many people are waiting for and will not be affected by running stock or custom...it's just not there.
    You said some of the issues have been fixed in the Mods. Which ones?
    Ok...maybe not a lot of issues have been corrected by running a custom rig, but here's a few that developers have worked on(some might call these mods, some say they're issues...whatever you think is all that matters):
    1. Apps2SD- Allows you to install market apps to a partition you create on your sd card. Frees up internal memory. With this and the next item in this list, I run with over 300 megs of internal memory free...consistently. That means no lag ever.
    2. Himem- opens up the the 'other' bank of internal memory that is physically in the phone but can't be accessed by the stock kernel...how it works is sort of technical...all I know is that it works, and well!
    3. Trackball colors- You know how the phone was advertised in the specs that it had a tri-color led trackball, but all you get in the stock phone is a whitish-blue color? There's fix/mod that enables the colors. It's nice to be able to tell what kind of notification you've received without waking up the phone. There are both free and pro versions of this little gem.
    4. Themes- Yes, there are loads of them you can install to change the look and feel of your GUI...this isn't really an issue, but it's definitely an added feature! I use this one.
    5. Screenshots- There are a couple apps that allow you to take screenies, but thet require root. Look at Drocap and ShootMe.
    6. Modified System apps- This is sort of a blanket-statement. Basically, any system app can be replaced/removed with root access. Don't want Amazon MP3 on there anymore? Delete it. Issue with the stock messaging app not sending MMS messages ( this is real, I explain in this post ), replace it with a custom, modified version.
    7. OC/UV kernels- You can overclock and undervolt your processor an rather safely without adverse affects on the battery. When used in conjunction with SetCPU, you can actually do this and improve battery life. Basically, you command the maximum and minimum processor speeds through profiles. When it's asleep, you underclock it. When it's charging or battery is full, you can max it out. When your down to, say, 50% battery you can drop the max to stock speed. And so on.

Shoot...I don't know what else to say. I can't really sit here and type out every single mod/fix. Here's another person's take from the XDA forums:
    root or no root, pros and cons of rooting - xda-developers

Or you can just wade through the pages of stuff currently available or being developed:
    XDA Development- Nexus One Android Development - xda-developers
    XDA Themes/Apps- Nexus One Themes and Apps - xda-developers
    MoDaCo- Google Nexus One - NexusOne.MoDaCo.com - Android @ MoDaCo
    CyanogenMod- CyanogenMod Forum

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links