Best battery saver kernel for CyanogenMod?

This is a discussion on Best battery saver kernel for CyanogenMod? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by kc.rkitek I'm using this one now: Kernel 2.6.33.2 ? OC-UV-BTN-AUD-RAM-VFP_FP (1.113GHZ) ? Nexus - Droid Basement My SetCPU settings are pretty liberal, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best battery saver kernel for CyanogenMod?

Quote Originally Posted by kc.rkitek View Post
    I'm using this one now:
    Kernel 2.6.33.2 ? OC-UV-BTN-AUD-RAM-VFP_FP (1.113GHZ) ? Nexus - Droid Basement

My SetCPU settings are pretty liberal, but I still went 48 hrs before getting to 15% with moderate use. I'm happy with that performance!
    Bah. Now i'm going to have to switch to that! here comes another flash.

Do you only use setcpu? and if so, do you even overclock it?

Also do you use a task manager app? I use process manager.

I am curious to know if apps on my ignore list stay open all the time? Or does the android system close them automatically when not in use or are they forced to stay open...

Yup... only that kernel and setcpu; no process/task manager. I only overclock when unplugged and battery is greater than 35%. This is my current SetCPU profile settings:

Charging- 998max, 245min
    Sleep/Stdby- 576max, 245min
    Battery<100%- 1113max, 245min
    Battery<35%- 768max, 245min
    Battery<17%- 576max, 245min
    Failsafe(Batt>50C)- 576max, 245min

I may change my profile to underclock slightly more just to squeeze a little more juice out of this thing. I think a more 'balanced' approach would be like:

Charging- 998max, 245min
    Sleep/Stdby- 576max, 245min
    Battery<100%- 1113max, 245min
    Battery<50%- 998max, 245min
    Battery<35%- 576max, 245min
    Failsafe(Batt>50C)- 576max, 245min

Naturally, what really counts is how much you're actually using the phone over a full battery cycle...the screen uses the most juice. As far as process/task managers go, apps that are 'running', but not in the foreground are technically not supposed to consume battery, especially when the phone is asleep...it's almost like they're hibernating. I don't worry about these guys too much. The exception would be like a streaming media player...constantly using resources even without focus; I expect that behavior.

Then there are the ones that hold a wakelock on the phone...these apps can affect battery life significantly. If an app holds a partial wakelock, the screen and keyboard (other devices) will sleep but the CPU will continue to run, irrespective of any timers and even after the user presses the power button to put the phone to sleep. See here for dev info direct from the source:

PowerManager | Android Developers

If you really want a clear understanding of what's consuming your battery, try using the free app 'Spare Parts'. If you go to Battery History in that app, you'll find that it records battery usage...what's particularly interesting is the partial wake usage category. You'll see there what apps hold a partial wakelock to do stuff when the phone is asleep. Look for apps that consume a lot of battery due to partial wakelock...if it's something that needs to sync regularly (an exchange email client, for example), you probably shouldn't kill it. If not, and it's using a lot of juice, there may be a bug in the code...consider contacting the dev, killing it occasionally, or just uninstall it altogether.

Best of luck-

kc can you be more specific on your battery usage....like for those 48hours how many were spent talking or using the internet and apps.
    :nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by d1mitrov View Post
    kc can you be more specific on your battery usage....like for those 48hours how many were spent talking or using the internet and apps.
    hmmm...can't really say because I was monitoring my use very closely. I unplugged after work @ 6pm on Friday and made it to 6pm on Sunday before I put it on the charger. Of course, 16 hours of that it (and I) was totally asleep at night. The other 32 hours...let's say light use. A couple hours on the browser, an hour or 2 on "reddit is fun", a few phone calls (maybe 30 min worth), a little banking...I don't know not a ton of time really.

What's really important is the difference between my current setup and bone-stock is night and day...totally detectable. I think I was putting it on the charger daily before the CM+OC/UV kernel+SetCPU.

kc, which one i hve to use?? or is better????

-switched from NEON to VFPv3 optimisation flag
    boot-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp.zip
    Download: boot-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp.zip
    boot-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-xtra-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp.zip
    Download: boot-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-xtra-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp.zip
    <><><>
    zImage-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp
    Download: zImage-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp
    zImage-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-xtra-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp
    Download: cm_2633.2-oc-uv-xtra-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp
    lib-2633.2.tar.gz
    Download: lib-2633.2.tar.gz

i know that i need to flash the zimage and the lib, but i dont know the first one

My method was to flash via fastboot (hold down trackball on boot) and then push the wifi driver with adb commands.

Download

I used the "zImage-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-xtra-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp" here:

http://droidbasement.com/nexus/kerne...aud-ram-vfp_fp

The "lib-2633.2.tar.gz" needs to be extracted (I used winrar) on your computer to get the "bcm4329.ko" file out of it. It's here:

http://droidbasement.com/nexus/kerne...-2633.2.tar.gz

The "zImage-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-xtra-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp" and the "bcm4329.ko" files are what you will push to the phone. Move both files to your Android SDK tools directory and start command window there.

Install
    First boot the phone into fastboot mode...turn off then hold down trackball and press power. Then type in the following commands in your command window:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    fastboot flash zimage zImage-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-xtra-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp
    fastboot reboot
    as always, the commands are case-sensitive.

When the phone starts up normally, we're ready to push the "bcm4329.ko" file. Make sure USB debugging is toggled on in your phone settings, then in the command window type:

Code:
    adb remount
    adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules
    adb reboot
    That's it after the phone reboots, you can make any SetCPU adjustments you need to. As with all custom OC kernels, use "Autodetect speeds" when you set up SetCPU so it will take advantage of your OC kernel!

Good luck-

Quote Originally Posted by kc.rkitek View Post
    My method was to flash via fastboot (hold down trackball on boot) and then push the wifi driver with adb commands.

Download

I used the "zImage-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-xtra-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp" here:

http://droidbasement.com/nexus/kerne...aud-ram-vfp_fp

The "lib-2633.2.tar.gz" needs to be extracted (I used winrar) on your computer to get the "bcm4329.ko" file out of it. It's here:

http://droidbasement.com/nexus/kerne...-2633.2.tar.gz

The "zImage-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-xtra-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp" and the "bcm4329.ko" files are what you will push to the phone. Move both files to your Android SDK tools directory and start command window there.

Install
    First boot the phone into fastboot mode...turn off then hold down trackball and press power. Then type in the following commands in your command window:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    fastboot flash zimage zImage-cm_2633.2-oc-uv-xtra-btn-aud-ram-vfp_fp
    fastboot reboot
    as always, the commands are case-sensitive.

When the phone starts up normally, we're ready to push the "bcm4329.ko" file. Make sure USB debugging is toggled on in your phone settings, then in the command window type:

Code:
    adb remount
    adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules
    adb reboot
    That's it after the phone reboots, you can make any SetCPU adjustments you need to. As with all custom OC kernels, use "Autodetect speeds" when you set up SetCPU so it will take advantage of your OC kernel!

Good luck-
    doesnt that site have an option to just flash the kernel from recovery? isnt that the same thing?

Yes, it does...I just used the fastboot way as it's just as fast as doing the recovery method. It's really up you you to decide how you want to do it. Both ways achieve the same thing...

oh and btw who makes this kernel?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links