What do you lose with custom ROMs?

This is a discussion on What do you lose with custom ROMs? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I'm new to the custom ROM scene and trying to figure out if it's something I want to do or not. I've looked around, but ...

Thread: What do you lose with custom ROMs?

What do you lose with custom ROMs?

I'm new to the custom ROM scene and trying to figure out if it's something I want to do or not. I've looked around, but don't see it specifically addressed.

I personally enjoy the Android 2.1 UI, and wonder what is given up by going to Cyanogen or MoDaCo.

I may just root only in order to get WiFi tethering.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Mitchel

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Think of it in reversal....

I've been running Cyanogen's ROM's for months now, currently running 5.0.5.3, if I had to go back to the stock ROM I'd seriously be thinking of selling it. To me it would be just another high end smartphone albeit a rather awesome one. I am a tinkerer and like to mess with my phone on a weekly basis. This N1 seems future proof for the moment as there's always something new to try on this phone making it better and better.... (thanks to most of the devs @xda)

Going stock would mean losing about 10 features right off the bat that's in a custom ROM that I now couldn't live without... Colored trackball notifications(great for silent mode as you'll never miss anything with the bright colors pulsing away), double click trackball to unlock screen (i hate having to press the power button and then swype to unlock), Morphs, adding screens to home page, customizing the launcher buttons, wireless & usb tethering, N1 Torch, Setcpu(awesome for battery life), etc, etc... Above all, having Amon's recovery and being able to make system state back ups is simply essential

To answer your question, the only thing you'd lose is your OTA updates.... But the custom ROMs usually adapt googles updates almost immediately anyways

Thanks.

Now, if I could just get fastboot-windows oem unlock to do something...

What is it you need it to do???

My stopping point:

I have the phone connected and in fastboot.
    I have a command window open.
    When I navigate to the N1/tools folder I type in: fastboot oem unlock
    It returns saying < waiting for device >, but the device doesn't open the UI asking if I want to unlock the bootloader.

When I check the windows device manager it seems to think the USB driver is improperly installed. Windows makes the USB connect sound. When I try to trouble shoot the USB connection, it doesn't seem to fix it.

I don't know what to do. I'll keep looking...

Read this, I'm too lazy to write my own....

How To: Root the Nexus One (Updated 01.11.10) | The Unlockr

Thanks. Something isn't allowing my computer to see my device - it won't return a serial number. I'll try it at home later on my home computer. I appreciate your help!

Mitchel

Make sure you have USB Debugging turned on under
    settings > applications > development
    AT&T 3G Nexus Uno
    -Froyo 2.2

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links