Rooting without a custom rom?

This is a discussion on Rooting without a custom rom? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Is it possible to root the Nexus One without installing a custom ROM? I'm thinking I may be ready to root if I can do ...

Thread: Rooting without a custom rom?

Rooting without a custom rom?

Is it possible to root the Nexus One without installing a custom ROM? I'm thinking I may be ready to root if I can do it this way -- I'd like to continue to receive OTA updates though (even with the probability that I would have to re-root after each update).

If I can do this, does the process effectively just provide the "su" command, or is it something more?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

On further reading, it seems you can -- just stop after the installation of "superboot"... but will this have OTA update differences from an unmodified phone?

The last update Google pushed out, rooted user running the stock ROM got OTA updates. Those running a custom ROM did not.

I imagine it will be the same the next time around too.

you can but don't b concerned about going with a n aftermarket rom. It really is better and there is no loss of functionality and feel. Highly recommended

You won't get the OTA updates but they're always available regardless. The ONLY downside to rooting and keeping the stock ROM is voiding your warranty. In reality, there's plenty of reports of people with rooted phones having warranty repairs and swaps anyway though.

I find rooting without installing custom ROMs pointless. All your rooting for is to use a few apps that require superuser access? Why not get more lol.
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ezeddiekun View Post
    I find rooting without installing custom ROMs pointless. All your rooting for is to use a few apps that require superuser access? Why not get more lol.
    I could see why someone would want to do it. 2 major reasons would be SetCpu for better battery life and to get trackball colors. Some people are happy with their N1 the way it is but just want to get a little better battery life. Understandable.
    AT&T 3G Nexus Uno
    -Froyo 2.2

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links