Wireless N on Nexus One

This is a discussion on Wireless N on Nexus One within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Beer Goggles has a valid point about the slowest link being the deciding factor, however that observation is only a part of the overall picture; ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wireless N on Nexus One

mah
    Beer Goggles has a valid point about the slowest link being the deciding factor, however that observation is only a part of the overall picture; other parts of the picture can easily argue in favor of higher speed (assuming power draw and other factors don't inhibit it).

For example, my local network could include a caching proxy; now though the first access to something is limited by the external (6Mbps in BG's case) link, repetitive accesses (which can happen frequently) are no longer bound by that external link, but by my phone's link instead.

Another example is using the LAN to move large files (or collections) to/from the phone... movies, mp3 collections, etc. There are tools that allow your phone to see your shared LAN folders to do this easily, do you want it at G speeds or at N?

Anyone use their N1 for a VNC client on their local network?

I don't think these examples are so far fetched as to be unrealistic, and I'm sure with a little thought, we can come up with several more reasons to not care (as much) about the LAN-to-Internet bottleneck.

I saw that beer goggles. But when ISPs finally catch up we will be ready. Thats all im saying. This thing would fly with wireless n plus googles new broadband technology.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Talking

Don't get me wrong guys, I think it's very cool if the N1 can use N.

mah, you make some good points. But also remember that N is only 3x G. It's not like an order of magnitude or anything.

Maybe they'll also unveil a gigabit ethernet port too....

Quote Originally Posted by SliceBurgSlim View Post
    Man when can I get my hands on this??????

Nexus One learns a new trick, Wireless N Android and Me
    Wait a second guys...if you're running CM v5.0.6, the N spec is apparently already live and working! See here:
    Wifi N On Nexus One - CyanogenMod Forum
    Radio: 20100203_2 (EPE54B)
    Recovery: RA-nexus-v1.7.0 CM Version
    Rom: CyanogenMod v5.0.6
    Kernel: Pershoot's 2.6.33.3 OC/UV/BTN
    /AUD/RAM/VFPv3 (042610)
    OC mgmt: SetCPU 1.51a
    Theme: none right now...

I've been using a stock N1 with Android 2.1 on 802.11n-only routers for 3 months. What's all the fuss?

Quote Originally Posted by davidalow44 View Post
    I've been using a stock N1 with Android 2.1 on 802.11n-only routers for 3 months. What's all the fuss?
    Now you tell us...... :rofl3:

But seriously, I don't know if people are really testing against an N only setup.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalow44 View Post

What N-only router are you using? That's really interesting since Broadcom/Google just now released N capable drivers for the N1.
    Eh...maybe some clarification over here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=613294
    It looks like even though you are connecting to a N-only router, it was probably only utilizing the 2.4Ghz band... maybe this update enables the 5Ghz band.

From what I understand, the phone didn't have the N spec fully enabled before now. The speed may improve and I think that's great, but that's not a make-it-or-break-it deal for me. I think the real plus here is the improvement in range.

With N spec drivers now on the phone, we can be much further from the router and stay connected since the distance the N signal will travel is greatly increased. See the chart on the wikipedia page:
    IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    We're talking almost double the range across the board...indoors and out! IMHO, that's a huge improvement...
    Radio: 20100203_2 (EPE54B)
    Recovery: RA-nexus-v1.7.0 CM Version
    Rom: CyanogenMod v5.0.6
    Kernel: Pershoot's 2.6.33.3 OC/UV/BTN
    /AUD/RAM/VFPv3 (042610)
    OC mgmt: SetCPU 1.51a
    Theme: none right now...

At this moment I'm using a Trendnet TEW-671BR router on the 2.4 GHz band over 802.11n (not 802.11b/g/n). According to my N1 Wi-Fi Settings, it's operating at 65 Mbps. I just copied a 10MB file from my server to the N1 in roughly 7 seconds, so the whole communication chain is obviously not working at that speed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links