Rooted and Regretting Cyanogen

This is a discussion on Rooted and Regretting Cyanogen within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey guys. I've been rooted for a few weeks and I'm starting to regret installing cyanogen. Here are the MAJOR issues/flaws that I've run into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooted and Regretting Cyanogen

Rooted and Regretting Cyanogen

Hey guys. I've been rooted for a few weeks and I'm starting to regret installing cyanogen.

Here are the MAJOR issues/flaws that I've run into (any useful suggestions appreciated):

1) If you tap the power button or trackball (if wake is enabled), then hold the power button, the silent/airplane/reboot/off menu pops up, and CAN be interacted with either by the touch screen or trackball. As a result, I've had my phone ring when it was supposed to be silent, I've pulled my phone out to discover it on airplane mode and received an onslaught of voicemail when I put it back to normal, and had my phone be just plain off when it should have been on. This is a HUGE issue, and one that I can't accept. When the screen is locked, it should be locked. All three of those are problems that I can't afford to have happen again. I don't remember if that problem was there in the stock ROM, but I have a hard time believing that Google developed it that way. If I have to leave CM over it, well, that sucks, but I have to.

2) Screen orientation now sticks a LOT. I only enabled 270 degree rotation (I don't plan on holding my phone upside down... pretty much ever) and now I run into issues where I'll have the phone landscape when I'm browsing, get a text message, pull down the notification window, tap to enter Messaging, switch phone to right side up so I can read the last message and compose a response, and the screen will stick in landscape mode. The only way to get it to un-stick is to lock and unlock the screen. Not a major issue, but definitely an annoyance.

3) I thought I had fixed my issue with the dock, but apparently I haven't, and it startles me without fail every time it happens: I'll have my phone on the dock to charge, etc. About 10% of the time I lift it off the dock, it starts blasting music from the middle of one of my songs. I have no idea why. Originally I thought it was because I have it set to use the dock for audio and also enabled "Unpause on connect." So I disabled "Unpause on connect," but it didn't help. I just had an alarm go off on my phone, picked it up off the dock, then promptly dropped it because it startled me by playing a very loud, very vocal section of a song.

4) A very minor graphical difference I don't like: On the stock rom, if you have the phone set to vibrate, your options on the unlock screen are Unlock (green slider) and Sound OFF (grey slider). On CM, if you're set to vibrate, you have Unlock (green) and Sound ON (orange). I don't like that. I hate the orange slider, I think it's ugly, and I'd rather still have the option to quickly turn everything off (sound and vibrate for all notifications except alarms) without unlocking my screen. I just feel like that's something that was changed from stock rom to CM that shouldn't have been.

5) I can't get my trackball notifications while the phone is in the dock. I use my dock while I'm asleep or while I'm at the desk working, and it would be nice to have the trackball light up at all while it's docked (even if it's not colors). Dock aside, I liked NeonMonster's video of the trackball rotating successively through notification colors, but I can't figure out how to get mine to do that. At all.

If anyone has any useful input for any of those issues, please let me know. I'm really starting to regret rooting. I'm just really not getting that much out of it, other than a voided warranty. I mean, the torch app is neat and all, but that's really about it right now.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You can go back to stock if you wish, rooting will not prevent that (quite the contrary, in fact)
    My sigs keep getting

Like Sophia said, you do not HAVE to use Cyanogen's rom. Its just one of MANY nexus roms out there.

Many people like Cyanogen because its a extremely stable rom. The majority of the bugs are ironed out in the rom, but there are still minor flaws....

You can't really do much about pocket unlocking, other than possibly using a holster or something that you don't push the power/trackball to wake it up. I've personally never done this.

Orientation switching is always a bit laggy, to the point that I usually have ALL rotation turned off on the phone. I rarely use the Nexus in landscape mode, because I don't like the auto-rotation, unless I absolutely have to use it.

Regarding the lockscreens, that is another feature of Cyanogen, if you don't like it, you can switch to a ROM that has the more standard stock looking interface. Nothing is permanent other than the bootloader being unlocked, so you can always revert and try out different things with your nexus.

About trackball successions, you should try to google a bit! The name of the mod was in the title and description of my video :
    [MOD] Trackball Notifications in Succession [v 0.5] (CM-5.0.5.3) - xda-developers

Trackball succession is a mod, and it does work on 5.0.6.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Try out Enomther's TheOfficial ROM. It's much more stable and smoother than the Cyanogen ROM or go back to the stock ROM. You're not stuck on Cyanogen now. You're still free to try out the many other options available.

How do you go back to the stock rom?

If you can do this, why wouldn't everyone root? (other than worried about warranty issues/blowing up their phone) If I knew you can just reload the stock rom to sell it like a stock/normal phone, I would have rooted much earlier. (I did root, just waited a few weeks longer hemming and hawing about it.)

(Not trying to make a joke, I seriously didn't know you could reinstall the stock ROM back to normal.)
    :nexusx: A new hope. :nexusx:

Quote Originally Posted by NexusWon View Post

If you can do this, why wouldn't everyone root? (other than worried about warranty issues/blowing up their phone) If I knew you can just reload the stock rom to sell it like a stock/normal phone, I would have rooted much earlier. (I did root, just waited a few weeks longer hemming and hawing about it.)

(Not trying to make a joke, I seriously didn't know you could reinstall the stock ROM back to normal.)
    [ROM] Original Shipping - Tutorial - xda-developers

You can't relock the bootloader though so you'll have the stock ROM but people will know it's been played with due to the "unlocked" icon. Maybe it's not a big deal... but reverting to stock is not undetectable.... yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by xkillerbx View Post

[ROM] Original Shipping - Tutorial - xda-developers
    Excellent! Thanks!
    :nexusx: A new hope. :nexusx:

I believe that is the BiG misconception. Unlocking Bootloader is NOT Rooting. Rooting is the act of putting Superuser permissions on your phone. In order to do that you must first Unlock Bootloader. Rooting is Not Installing Custom Rom, you must Root to install custom rom. You can run stock rom and still have root. The Superboot method is the act of putting Superuser permissions on a stock rom. In that way you will have stock rom, and have the ability to use all the Root User apps out there, and not run Custom Rom. Just chiming in with my 2 cent.
    Nexus One - CyanogenMod-5.0.6-N1
    Amon_RA Recovery v1.7.0
    2.6.33.2-cyanogenmod
    kmobs@ubuntu #3
    BUILD: EPE54B
    Baseband: 32.26.00.24U_4.04.00.03_2
    Swype BETA : NexTHEME Morph
    Juice Defender
    Follow me on Twitter

Exactly Thomas, I think you hit the nail on the head why so many people are confused.

I think "rooting" involves 4 steps:

1) Unlock bootloader (does nothing except add an unlock icon to your startup screen)
    2) Add Super user permissions (allows you to modify your phone and add "root" apps)
    3) If you so wish, you can now flash new ROMS, including the original stock ROM (but the phone will still be unlocked)
    4) The really brave can perform other tricky stuff such as update the kernel or flash a new radio

Step 1, 2 and 3 are harmless, but with step 4, it is possible to "brick" your phone (render it useless).

If you skip step 3 and 4, you still have all the benefits of rooting, while still using stock ROM. Am I right? Correct me if I said anything wrong please
    My sigs keep getting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links