Still don't understand rooting

This is a discussion on Still don't understand rooting within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I want to root but I'm not very tech savvy and from what I understand it is easy to make mistakes and damage your Nexus ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still don't understand rooting

Still don't understand rooting

I want to root but I'm not very tech savvy and from what I understand it is easy to make mistakes and damage your Nexus One during and after a root. If I root it will I still get OTA updates from google like normally? (not going to manually get FroYo). I really don't want to make mistakes because its an expensive device and I don't even understand what a kernel is. When I root do I have to get a modification like Cyanogen? (what exactly is Cyanogen) or will I still get the benefits (720p video, and whatever else) without those because I really don't want to apply a skin like HTC Sense to my device. Anything else like basics would be helpful. But try not to dumb it down too much, I would rather learn this stuff than just follow guides cluelessly. Thanks in advance.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It doesn't surprise me that no one has responded to your question. Most members in here seem to be very arrogant and they don't respond well to novices. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will give you good advice. I can tell you to check out the Android Central website. Search for an article that was written on June 5th by Jerry Hildenbrand called Rooting-is it for me? Some Q&A. This will give you a pretty good understanding of what rooting is. Also, check out the unlockr.com website. It can walk you step by step through rooting or the manual install of FroYo. One other thing I can say is that you should not be afraid to try these improvements to your phone. They will make your phone much more enjoyable and they are much simpler than you would think to install.

the thing is there is so much info out there for someone to type it all out for you. You need to provide a specific question for direct responses. I could hold an entire hour long phone convo with this type of general curiosity.
    That being said.
    Rooting is easy and is very difficult to break your phone (on a Nexus One at least)
    Yes you need a ROM. Cyan, Enomther, Stock N1, Rooted FROYO, doesn't matter which one but you need one. ROM is your operating system, they are all Android just with modifications
    You don't have to put Sense on.
    No OTA, but if your into rooting and such on the phone it doesn't matter. FROYO release to developers was hacked and rooted the same afternoon. The same community that anyone on here GOT the FROYO release from. Andoid is open source and Google and everyone else releases the code to the AOSP, so it is typical that the 'hacking' crowd has better stuff and alot of the time before the regular crowd. That being said you can OTA ROMs like Cyanogen with an app, or follow your favorite ROM dev to get releases.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Quote Originally Posted by nexus1inAZ View Post
    Most members in here seem to be very arrogant and they don't respond well to novices.
    I don't agree with that statement whatsoever. I think members here go out of their way to be helpful, especially to "novices."

Thanks that article was good I'll do some more of my own research into it because it looks like theres plenty of help out there already.

If you dont want to take the time to do basic research on rooting, then im certainly not going to hold your hand and do it for you. This site is full of Great info on rooting. but seriously if your too lazy to read the guides then your prob too lazy to follow the directions and would prob brick the phone so I *Wouldn't recommend it.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

These are hard questions to answer
    Yes you can make mistakes that will DAMAGE/BRICK your phone but if you read around the net their are very few people that have had that problem and if they did it was probably caused by them NOT FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS.
    NO you will not get OTA updates after you root!
    If you read through Nexus One - xda-developers
    You will find that your options after ROOTING far exceed whatever you would end up with an OTA update.
    The people in the developing community like CYANOGEN, ENOMTHER, MODACO etc GIVE us ANDROID OPERATING SYSTEMS/ROMS that are more functional/customizable than STOCK/OTA ROMS.
    The Android operating system has a baseband/radio a Kernel and the OS
    The KERNEL is the engine that runs the android OS/rom
    After rooting you have the option to install a SENSE rom/os or not its your choice.
    This is the guide I used Video: How to unlock and root a Nexus One – Android and Me
    After reading about a dozen guides this one is visual, written & was the easiest one I could find.
    You have to understand that UNLOCKING & ROOTING has its risks & benefits.
    You have to read & watch Youtube videos till your confident you can & want to do it.
    Bookmark important resources of info.
    Your going to have to install a driver so your phone can talk to your computer.
    Your going to have to do a few things by typing line commands in the command prompt screen in windows or whatever computer OS your using. If you dont know what line commands are STOP and read about them they arent hard.
    If you have problems look on the net Im sure there are others that have had the same problem.
    IF YOU DECIDE TO DO IT It might take you 10 minuets or a couple of hours like it took me Personally Im glad I did it. ITS YOUR CHOICE. If this hasnt scarred you off - go for it & learn

Quote Originally Posted by SliceBurgSlim View Post
    If you dont want to take the time to do basic research on rooting, then im certainly not going to hold your hand and do it for you. This site is full of Great info on rooting. but seriously if your too lazy to read the guides then your prob too lazy to follow the directions and would prob brick the phone so I *Wouldn't recommend it.

See what I mean. Maybe he already searched the subject and just wanted a little more insight from members that know rooting well. If I'm not mistaken that is what a forum is for, to get additional information on a particular subject. People don't ask to be bashed. Forums were created to troubleshoot and quite a few big companies send people to their forums to get questions answered.

Read the OP buddy. He did No research. I can tell by the Nature of the Questions. Its one thing to help people(which I do quite often on here) its another thing to baby Noobs that don't wanna do they're homework. There are great guides here. If you can't follow them then you shouldn't be Rooting.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

That's enough, guys. Slice, perhaps no reply might have been a better option in this case. For the future, ok?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links