Pros/Cons of rooting WITHOUT unlocking bootloader?

This is a discussion on Pros/Cons of rooting WITHOUT unlocking bootloader? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Since being interested in rooting my N1 I've been googling a lot but it's still somewhat confusing. One of the things that's making me hesitent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons of rooting WITHOUT unlocking bootloader?

Pros/Cons of rooting WITHOUT unlocking bootloader?

Since being interested in rooting my N1 I've been googling a lot but it's still somewhat confusing. One of the things that's making me hesitent is the idea of permanently (as of the date of this post) unlocking the phone and thus clearly/visibly voiding the warranty.

I've recently stumbled upon instructions for rooting without unlocking the bootloader? Am I correct in assuming this would make the phone appear (no unlock icon) to be unmodified? Also, does this mean one could fully reverse the rooting process and go back to fully stock google signed roms with OTA updates etc (essentially reverting it back as if it were never modified)?

It would seem this would be preferable to any method involving the unlocking of the bootloader. Are there any disadvantages of this? Any increased risks by NOT unlocking the bootloader? Is there a reason why most people have gone the rout of unlocking the bootloader?

My plan is simply to have root access to run setcpu on the stock FRF91 rom. As of now, I'm not interested in other ROMs (baby steps).

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by ellesshoo View Post
    Since being interested in rooting my N1 I've been googling a lot but it's still somewhat confusing. One of the things that's making me hesitent is the idea of permanently (as of the date of this post) unlocking the phone and thus clearly/visibly voiding the warranty.

I've recently stumbled upon instructions for rooting without unlocking the bootloader? Am I correct in assuming this would make the phone appear (no unlock icon) to be unmodified? Also, does this mean one could fully reverse the rooting process and go back to fully stock google signed roms with OTA updates etc (essentially reverting it back as if it were never modified)?

It would seem this would be preferable to any method involving the unlocking of the bootloader. Are there any disadvantages of this? Any increased risks by NOT unlocking the bootloader? Is there a reason why most people have gone the rout of unlocking the bootloader?

My plan is simply to have root access to run setcpu on the stock FRF91 rom. As of now, I'm not interested in other ROMs (baby steps).
    there are no disadvantages on doing this, the advantage is that your boot screen will not have a lock icon. But, make sure you follow all steps when flashing the new rom, because you could brick your phone

Does anyone know a link on how to root my stock frf91 nexus one? Can't seem to find instructions anywhere. Thanks.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by yungfresh2def View Post
    Does anyone know a link on how to root my stock frf91 nexus one? Can't seem to find instructions anywhere. Thanks.
    This is how you do it.

[TIPS] Stuck On FRF91? Want To Downgrade To Get Root? Click Here! - xda-developers

If you ask me, I am still in dilemma of rooting.

Thanks a lot for the info!! By any chance do you know any links that can show me how to flash it so I can root it after I go down to stock? I have the frf91 root files, but I don't know what to use to flash it. Thanks again!! That was a fast response.

Not sure I understand your question exactly, but these are the instructions I recently wrote for a friend of mine who just got his N1 and wanted to root.

-----

1. Install ADB on computer

How To: Set Up ADB/USB Drivers for Android Devices | TheUnlockr

or

How To: adb for Windows the Easy Way

2. Root Phone

How To: Root the Nexus One (Updated 01.11.10) | TheUnlockr

(After this, you can do many things like install special apps (change clockspeed (but not overclock yet), fake carrier to access paid apps on market, etc.)

Current Superboot method is not available for FRF91, so if you're on that, downgrade first:
    [TIPS] Stuck On FRF91? Want To Downgrade To Get Root? Click Here! - xda-developers

NOTE:
    Just 2 weeks ago, they figured how to root the phone without unlocking bootloader:
    [Tutorial] Root FRF91/FRF85B/FRF83/FRF72 (T-Mo/AT&T) Without Unlocking (100% Working) - xda-developers

This means that you don’t have to void your warranty! (Once your bootloader is unlocked, it will always show the unlocked sign when you boot up, so everyone will know your phone has been rooted). I've never tried this method, so can't vouch for it. Cutting the battery tab with a box cutter knife is easier than it may seem, but rooting and recovery instructions after that is more complicated than using the Superboot method that I'm recommending here.

3. Flash new recovery image

This will enable you to flash custom roms (like latest versions of Froyo without waiting for update, like Cyanogen rom which is more optimized and with many features, like the HTC Desire rom which has different UI interface), etc., and also do backups of your current build/data so you can always restore previous version in case you screw up something.

Will also allow you to backup your entire phone state so you can get back to the backed up state in case something goes wrong later when flashing stuff.

How To: Load a Custom ROM on the Nexus One (Updated 1.11.10) | TheUnlockr

(This tutorial is for loading custom roms, but it contains instructions on how to flash new recovery image also, which is what you want to do here.)

Most people use the “Amon RA recovery image”. Latest version 1.7.x is here:
    [Recovery] [30-May-2010] RA-nexus-v1.7.0.1 - xda-developers

4. Nandroid backup!

First thing you do after doing all this is to do Nandroid backup, to save the state of your phone as it is now.
    How To: Backup and Restore Your Android Phone | TheUnlockr

5. Partition sd-card

This is optional, and only if you think you want to use the Apps2SD function (eg., in Modaco rom) later. If so, better to do it now to avoid hassle of backing up and copying back all data, cos this will involve a sd card wipe.

Use your Amon RA recovery tool to do this (easiest way).

1. Back up your SD card. Just copy its contents to a folder on your computer.
    2. Power off phone, then boot into recovery (Vol-down + power).
    3. Select "Partition sdcard."
    4. Select "Partition SD."
    5. Choose your EXT and swap size. I did a 1024Mb ext partition and 0 swap on a 16gig class 6 card...if you're not sure, just stick with the defaults.
    6. Select "SD:ext2 to ext3" to convert to an ext3 file system. Then to ext4.
    7. Back out of partition submenu and "Reboot system now".

6. Upgrade to Froyo!

Now you’re installing new roms. I’m using custom rom from Modaco cos it’s based on the stock rom:
    http://android.modaco.com/content/go...n-froyo-frf91/

Make sure you also update your radio image (scroll lower to the download link for radio).

I’m waiting for a rom by Cyanogen, who is the most famous (probably best) rom maker. Because Froyo open source code only just released, he is now working on his cyanogen rom to be based on froyo, but now still in alpha stage (v6.xx). You can monitor progress here:
    Google Nexus One Experimental Mod - CyanogenMod Forum

------

Hope that helps.

PS - my friend just followed the instructions above and is now a happy rooted camper.
    (btw, he chose the conventional 'unlock bootloader' method, cos he didn't care about warranty, and cos it was easier and more 'tried-and-tested'.

Thanks a lot!! I guess I got some work to do. I rooted my old motorola droid before and was able to go back to stock before I sold it. I am considering the conventional way since you insist it is easier. But you certain that you can never go back to stock on the nexus once you unlock bootloader?

also for some reason the Modaco link isn't opening at all.

I was actually planning on using this froyo frf91 build,

[ROM] FRF91 Stock, Deodexed, rooted, busybox

Let me know if this is similiar. Thanks.

0ohyeah

I am having problems after I install of custom rom. I did the bake option from Modaco and clicked on radio update, but for some reason I'm stuck on the nexus one sign with the lock. Did you do anything different to get yours to work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links