Easy Root APP [Instructions]

This is a discussion on Easy Root APP [Instructions] within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Joined the rooted club today :D How easy is that :D A root and unroot button from a simple app. Very cool :D Scared witless ...

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Root APP [Instructions]

Joined the rooted club today :D How easy is that :D A root and unroot button from a simple app. Very cool :D

Scared witless of the next steps though. So many terms mentioned in the instructions that are unfamiliar like quickboot, nandroid, fastboot. I installed the ROM Manager but know I can't do anything useful with it until I've found the elusive nandroid and done a backup.

How good is the backup? Does it restore all app settings/options/preferences/permissions/login credentials/high scores/history etc? Does it restore all shortcuts to all 5 desktop pages?

Quite keen to get cyanogen 6 rc3 but a bit scared of the process to get there.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Joined the rooted club today :D How easy is that :D A root and unroot button from a simple app. Very cool :D

Scared witless of the next steps though. So many terms mentioned in the instructions that are unfamiliar like quickboot, nandroid, fastboot. I installed the ROM Manager but know I can't do anything useful with it until I've found the elusive nandroid and done a backup.

How good is the backup? Does it restore all app settings/options/preferences/permissions/login credentials/high scores/history etc? Does it restore all shortcuts to all 5 desktop pages?

In a nutshell, DL titanium backup, press menu select batch and run back all user apps + system data

Once done Rom Manager has the "nandroid" in a sense from what I learn. Just a terminology for backing up the current rom.

In Rom Manager Select Download ROM go to CyanogenMOD and select CM 6 Stable. It's gonna ask if you want to DL GAPPS, check the box and run.

After it's downloaded another window will be pop up and ask if you want to back up current rom and delete all data, MAKE SURE TO CHECK OFF BOTH.

If you want to assure your current rom is backed up before dl'ng the ROM then scroll down and select Backup Current ROM, but you shouldn't need to cause it's all part of the process.
    Androidfied.

DD,

I forgot to mention when you run Titanium make sure to download busybox, you get link to it by clicking the problem button at the bottom.

Happy treading.
    Androidfied.

You're where I was a couple of week ago. I was very hesitant to make a move too, because, like you, I didn't want to mess anything up.

nandroid is a backup that Amon_RA supports. ROM Manager has its own equivalent backup, which is offers during the install of CM6 (which is final now). If you use ROM Manager, you'll probably want to install its recovery.

You should download Titanium Backup to save all of your applications and data.

I use LauncherPro, which has its own back and restore for the home screens (widget will have to be removed and recreated).

If you install ROM Manager and select Cyanogenmod 6, make sure to check GAPPS (the Google apps). Then check the "Wipe" and "Backup" options and you should be all set.

After it installs Cyanogenmod, go to the market to get Titanium backup again and restore your stuff.

The guides are more complete, but those are the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    You're where I was a couple of week ago. I was very hesitant to make a move too, because, like you, I didn't want to mess anything up.

nandroid is a backup that Amon_RA supports. ROM Manager has it's own equivalent backup, which is offers during the install of CM6 (which is final now). If you use ROM Manager, you'll probably want to install its recovery.

You should download Titanium Backup to save all of your applications and data.

I use LauncherPro, which has it's own back and restore for the home screens (widget will have to be removed and recreated).

If you install ROM Manager and select Cyanogenmod 6, make sure to check GAPPS (the Google apps). Then check the "Wipe" and "Backup" options and you should be all set.

After it installs Cyanogenmod, go to the market to get Titanium backup again and restore your stuff.

The guides are more complete, but those are the basics.

OH yeah I forgot to mention to down load the ClockworkMod Recovery.

Don't go by what I'm saying verbatim, make sure to follow the steps in place that Sheazny has posted, it's a break down of the proper step to assure a smooth transition.
    Androidfied.

I have included what a NANDROID backup is in the OP. If you read closely in the Flashing Kernel section, you will see that I briefly explain what QuickBoot does. The application is self-explainable once you download.

The Nandroid backup will secure your current settings/rom/applications. If you experience problems, you can just restore from NANDROID and your phone will appear as it was when you performed the backup. Your widgets may need re-loaded but everything should be in its proper place.

TitaniumBackup will backup your data and applications. When you flash a new ROM and wipe/data and cache, you will be starting fresh(unless you're coming from Cyanogen-Cyanogen). Once you re-download it off the market, you can go in and do a BATCH RESTORE on all your data and applications. May take a few minutes though.

Hope it helped!

--> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

- Our handicapped puppy -

*Follow me on Twitter

EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

dd4005,

Lots of stuff coming at you. I just posted this and gives step by step on getting Titanium Backup up and running. Get use to it first.

"I would root first with the one click. Easy Root APP [Instructions]

Then dl Titanium Back Up from the Market and get familiar with it. Do some backups and go thru the options on all screens. Open some of the apps and see options there. When you dl TB agree to install busybox. If you are not promted to do that it is under the "problems" button at botom right of main screen. I would buy paid version. With TB open, swype phone menu button and go over all options. Under Preferences, tap on compression and select LZO.

Once youn are familiar with TB go to market and download Rom Manager, upgrade to paid also. You support the devs work and have full functionality on these programs. On Rom Manager main screen tap on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and select your device. On main screen, swype phone menu key and select Settings then make sure Advanced Mode and Update Notifications are checked. On main sceen of RM also tap on Fix Permissions. It will take several minutes to run.

Also, just in case you may need it, probably will, on phone, menu/settings/applications/development/usb debugging and usb debugging notify.

When you get that far you are ready to install custom roms, themes, kernals etc. You can get with us on what you want to do and we can lay out exact steps for what ever you want to install. ALWAYS do the Rom Manager "Backup Current Rom" before installing anything."

Once you install CM6 rom, TB will not be there, so like noted install free version from Market, I would get paid version when you first installed it, it will upgrade to paid when you install the free one after rom install. After you do your restore all apps and data you can refresh list, all icons should come back up on the TB app list like the Green M's and smileys. If you get LauncherPro from the Market too and set it up before installing your first rom you can back it up too. And like Beerr Goggles said it will restore all screens when you first run it after the rom install.

Truth had good instructions on the actual dl and install sequence. Once you have a backup, you can overcome anything.

If we forgot anything ask as you go thru the steps.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

This has nothing to do with anything on these forums. But I promised to shed some light into our dogs struggle. Here is a video my girlfriend and I made up: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJM61CNBCgo[/ame]

She chose the song. He has an appointment this Friday for an MRI to see what can be done. Yes...his name is Gizmo =). He's 1 year old.

This video was shot with my JVC Everio Hybrid camera. Only 480p.

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

*Follow me on Twitter

Getting there... Installed Titanium Backup and Busybox and all the status messages made it seem like TB is happy enough. Made my donation, waiting for my key to arrive.

I thought (after reading the above 5 posts) that I knew what a nandroid backup is and how to make one with TB, but then I read this and now I'm completely confused. I don't know how I should press Alt + L on a Nexus One that has no physical keyboard. Perhaps that wiki page was made for a Motorola Milestone/Droid phone.

Also still a little confused about what "Clockworkmod Recovery" is. I don't find anything called that in the market. I find 7 or 8 apps by Clockworkmod (one of which I even have installed - the ROM Manager) but no "Clockworkmod Recovery".

Edit: I found something inside ROM Manager that says Flash clockworkmod recovery and it seems to be downloading something. Oh that, didn't go well. It complained about not having the right privileges or something. This is where it gets scary.

Getting there... Installed Titanium Backup and Busybox and all the status messages made it seem like TB is happy enough. Made my donation, waiting for my key to arrive.

I thought (after reading the above 5 posts) that I knew what a nandroid backup is and how to make one with TB, but then I read this and now I'm completely confused. I don't know how I should press Alt + L on a Nexus One that has no physical keyboard. Perhaps that wiki page was made for a Motorola Milestone/Droid phone.

Also still a little confused about what "Clockworkmod Recovery" is. I don't find anything called that in the market. I find 7 or 8 apps by Clockworkmod (one of which I even have installed - the ROM Manager) but no "Clockworkmod Recovery".

Edit: I found something inside ROM Manager that says Flash clockworkmod recovery and it seems to be downloading something. I guess that's it.
    Ignore the ALT+L.
    -Download QUICKBOOT from the market.
    -Open QUICKBOOT and you will be presented with 3 options
    -Select Recovery
    -It will boot into Recovery automatically
    -Choose NANDROID
    -Backup

As easy as that buddy . I have a GTalk, msg me if you want me to walk you through anything.

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

*Follow me on Twitter

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links