Easy Root APP [Instructions]

This is a discussion on Easy Root APP [Instructions] within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by Sheanzy Originally Posted by dd4005 Getting there... Installed Titanium Backup and Busybox and all the status messages made it seem like TB ...

Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Root APP [Instructions]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Getting there... Installed Titanium Backup and Busybox and all the status messages made it seem like TB is happy enough. Made my donation, waiting for my key to arrive.

I thought (after reading the above 5 posts) that I knew what a nandroid backup is and how to make one with TB, but then I read this and now I'm completely confused. I don't know how I should press Alt + L on a Nexus One that has no physical keyboard. Perhaps that wiki page was made for a Motorola Milestone/Droid phone.

Also still a little confused about what "Clockworkmod Recovery" is. I don't find anything called that in the market. I find 7 or 8 apps by Clockworkmod (one of which I even have installed - the ROM Manager) but no "Clockworkmod Recovery".

Edit: I found something inside ROM Manager that says Flash clockworkmod recovery and it seems to be downloading something. I guess that's it.
    Ignore the ALT+L.
    -Download QUICKBOOT from the market.
    -Open QUICKBOOT and you will be presented with 3 options
    -Select Recovery
    -It will boot into Recovery automatically
    -Choose NANDROID
    -Backup

As easy as that buddy . I have a GTalk, msg me if you want me to walk you through anything.
    That sounds easy enough. If quickboot does such a great backup job then I'm wondering why I just bought titanium backup. From the descriptions of them both, they do the same thing.

I'm also beginning to wonder whether the "Easy Root App" is as good as a non-easy root. Especially when ROM Manager complains it doesn't have the privileges it needs to flash clockworkmod recovery. Update: Tried flash clockworkmod recovery a second time and it worked.

Installed Quickboot, so I guess I'm ready to do my nandroid backup now (and then wonder whether I need to do a TB backup still).

Update: I think I'm getting now what the distinction is between a Nandroid backup (from Quickboot) and what a Titanium Backup would get me. Let me know if I'm wrong. I think a Nandroid backup is like a complete backup "image" of everything (except for widget shortcuts on the desktop bizarrely). The Nandroid backup is what would get you back to where you were before you started doing anything risky and broke things bigtime. The Titanium Backup on the other hand will intelligently save apps and settings one by one in a way that allow it to restore them later one by one. This has the advantage of being able to be saved from one ROM and restored to another. Completely different from a nandroid backup which simply restores everything, ROM included. Right ? So I guess once I do install my cyanogen mod and all the extra apps that I'll install with it, I could then do another nandroid backup or a Titanium backup. It wouldn't matter too much which I choose at this point because both would be able to restore me back to my newly cyanogen'ed state later.

Update: hope my experiences of trying to follow the instructions is helpful (perhaps to feedback into the guides).So I've got ROM Manager, I've flashed clockworkmod recovery, I've installed quickboot. Now I figure it's time to create my nandroid backup, so into quickboot and select recovery and the phone reboots. I imagine this to be the same as powering up while holding the home key (but I could be wrong). I was expecting to see an option "create nandroid backup" but I didn't get that. I had to go into the backup and restore menu, then create backup (no mention of nandroid), then it (Clockworkmod recovery v2.5.0.7) started doing a backup which took 5-10 minutes (and was constantly informing me on-screen of what it was backing up with only brief pauses for a few seconds). It now tells me backup complete so I guess I'm going to reboot and look on the SD card to see if I've got a nandroid file or folder.

Well, even though many find these directions easy and some may call me a noob, I am still uneasy about rooting my N1.

Starting from the beginning, doing a nandroid backup. The wiki says:

"Boot into Recovery Mode by turning off your device then powering it on while holding Power+Home."

Holding power and home does nothing for me (tried 20+ times). Assuming I am supposed to receive the same interface that I got when I upgraded to Froyo manually, is Home the volume down on the N1?

So yeah, I guess it is, cause I got the recovery mode. I selected it, and then I get the triangle with the exclamation point...

"If you should get a triangle icon with an exclamation point, hit ALT + L to get to the menu."

Again, assuming that ALT + L means the same thing as volume down and power I hit that. Now I see Reboot System now, apply sdcard:update.zip, wipe data/factory reset, and wipe cache partition. I see no "Nandroid anything".

Please advise. About to abort this due to lack of knowledge and fear.

Thanks.

Getting there... Installed Titanium Backup and Busybox and all the status messages made it seem like TB is happy enough. Made my donation, waiting for my key to arrive.

I thought (after reading the above 5 posts) that I knew what a nandroid backup is and how to make one with TB, but then I read this and now I'm completely confused. I don't know how I should press Alt + L on a Nexus One that has no physical keyboard. Perhaps that wiki page was made for a Motorola Milestone/Droid phone.

Also still a little confused about what "Clockworkmod Recovery" is. I don't find anything called that in the market. I find 7 or 8 apps by Clockworkmod (one of which I even have installed - the ROM Manager) but no "Clockworkmod Recovery".

Edit: I found something inside ROM Manager that says Flash clockworkmod recovery and it seems to be downloading something. I guess that's it.
    Ignore the ALT+L.
    -Download QUICKBOOT from the market.
    -Open QUICKBOOT and you will be presented with 3 options
    -Select Recovery
    -It will boot into Recovery automatically
    -Choose NANDROID
    -Backup

As easy as that buddy . I have a GTalk, msg me if you want me to walk you through anything.
    That sounds easy enough. If quickboot does such a great backup job then I'm wondering why I just bought titanium backup. From the descriptions of them both, they do the same thing.

I'm also beginning to wonder whether the "Easy Root App" is as good as a non-easy root. Especially when ROM Manager complains it doesn't have the privileges it needs to flash clockworkmod recovery. Update: Tried flash clockworkmod recovery a second time and it worked.

Installed Quickboot, so I guess I'm ready to do my nandroid backup now (and then wonder whether I need to do a TB backup still).

Update: I think I'm getting now what the distinction is between a Nandroid backup (from Quickboot) and what a Titanium Backup would get me. Let me know if I'm wrong. I think a Nandroid backup is like a complete backup "image" of everything (except for widget shortcuts on the desktop bizarrely). The Nandroid backup is what would get you back to where you were before you started doing anything risky and broke things bigtime. The Titanium Backup on the other hand will intelligently save apps and settings one by one in a way that allow it to restore them later one by one. This has the advantage of being able to be saved from one ROM and restored to another. Completely different from a nandroid backup which simply restores everything, ROM included. Right ? So I guess once I do install my cyanogen mod and all the extra apps that I'll install with it, I could then do another nandroid backup or a Titanium backup. It wouldn't matter too much which I choose at this point because both would be able to restore me back to my newly cyanogen'ed state later.
    \

TitaniumBackup will backup your apps and data. QuickBoot is an application that can Reboot your phone, Enter into Recovery, and enter into the Bootloader.

Quickboot offers a quick and easy way to your Recovery. Instead of shutting your phone off, turning it on with the button combination and selecting bootloader>recovery, QuickBoot just takes you right to the Recovery screen.

Nandroid will backup EVERYTHING. Existing ROM during backup, settings, and location of apps.

With that being said, TitaniumBackup does back up data and applications. This is essential for when your first wipe your data/cache in order to flash a new ROM. If you didn't backup with titanium or on Google servers, you will lose applications and have to download them one-by-one.

I hope that breaks things down for you.

--> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

- Our handicapped puppy -

*Follow me on Twitter

EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

Quote Originally Posted by neven11 View Post
    Well, even though many find these directions easy and some may call me a noob, I am still uneasy about rooting my N1.

"Boot into Recovery Mode by turning off your device then powering it on while holding Power+Home."

Holding power and home does nothing for me (tried 20+ times). Assuming I am supposed to receive the same interface that I got when I upgraded to Froyo manually, is Home the volume down on the N1?

So yeah, I guess it is, cause I got the recovery mode. I selected it, and then I get the triangle with the exclamation point...

"If you should get a triangle icon with an exclamation point, hit ALT + L to get to the menu."

Again, assuming that ALT + L means the same thing as volume down and power I hit that. Now I see Reboot System now, apply sdcard:update.zip, wipe data/factory reset, and wipe cache partition. I see no "Nandroid anything".

Thanks.
    I guess I should just do my own guide on Nandroid. You can access Recovery by:
    -Quickboot
    or
    -Turning your phone off
    -Turning it back on with POWER+Trackball
    -You hold those two buttons and you will boot into recovery.

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

*Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by neven11 View Post

Thanks.
    I guess I should just do my own guide on Nandroid. You can access Recovery by:
    -Quickboot
    or
    -Turning your phone off
    -Turning it back on with POWER+Trackball
    -You hold those two buttons and you will boot into recovery.
    Sheanzy you're so helpful all the time and full of walk-through/how-to knowledge... that is what makes this community so good.. everyone seems to be so patient~!!

Well, I did the quickboot->recovery but there was no "Create nandroid backup" option there. I got a screen from Clockworkmod recovery instead, which I guess has taken over the recovery screen. It still offers backup and restore (from a menu named that) and it will backup. I see now after the backup process that I have a folder on my SD called clockworkmod that has a backup in it (327MB of IMG files in there). Oh wait, there's a file in there called nandroid.md5 which is 1KB .

Maybe I do have a nandroid backup then. Time to do a Titanium backup now I guess. :D

Well, I did the quickboot->recovery but there was no "Create nandroid backup" option there. I got a screen from Clockworkmod recovery instead, which I guess has taken over the recovery screen. It still offers backup and restore (from a menu named that) and it will backup. I see now after the backup process that I have a folder on my SD called clockworkmod that has a backup in it (327MB of IMG files in there). Oh wait, there's a file in there called nandroid.md5 which is 1KB .

Maybe I do have a nandroid backup then. Time to do a Titanium backup now I guess. :D
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRsawXkKIoQ[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Happiboi View Post

Sheanzy you're so helpful all the time and full of walk-through/how-to knowledge... that is what makes this community so good.. everyone seems to be so patient~!!
    Thank you, I appreciate it! =)

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

*Follow me on Twitter

Should we refer to Sheanzy as "Saint Sheanzy" from now on? Truly a godsend.

Loving Titanium Backup's "Chuck Norris" mode. It's worth having this app just for it's ability to nuke/freeze those pesky system bloatware apps like amazon mp3, twitter etc. When it came to making my backup I just backed up everything, but once I have my cyanogen I'll be using the freeze option and once verified the system is still stable, I'll do a further titanium backup and chuck norris their butts outta there :D

Now to backup from my SD to my Computer, just in case the SD gets wiped and I'm left with no backups at all (now that would be dumb).

Should we refer to Sheanzy as "Saint Sheanzy" from now on? Truly a godsend.
    I wouldn't go that far, but I do appreciate the kind words!

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

*Follow me on Twitter

It's crunch time now. Do I dare.

I rooted, I nandroided, I Titanium Backed up, and now I've downloaded CM6 stable. One more step and I'm cyanogen'ed. Scared much? You bet.

Staring at the ROM Manager screen with it's "Wipe Data and Cache" option glaring at me.

Update: I went ahead with it. Now I've either bricked my phone or it's busy doing it. No idea which is the case. No idea if I should leave it an hour or if it's dead. If I had a keyboard I'd be trying Alt+L about now.

Don't know what to do now. I get stuck in this screen if I try and install CM6. A reboot gets me back to my un-modded state (because the recovery-install didn't do anything).

Well, at least I'm rooted. That's something.

Page 33 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links