Easy Root APP [Instructions]

This is a discussion on Easy Root APP [Instructions] within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; ^^ i replied in the other thread too... basically.. i did get that before too but another go at install rom from SD and it ...

Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy Root APP [Instructions]

^^ i replied in the other thread too... basically.. i did get that before too but another go at install rom from SD and it worked fine for me...

One thing I have found, and I don't think that it can be said enough is that it seems that when using the 1-click root method that a recovery (ClockWorkMod or Amon_RA, is doesn't matter which) only works ONCE. I have found that I much flash them each time I want to use them. Seems completely strange to me, but that's what I'm seeing.

Also, it's not Power on with trackball pressed that gets to recovery. It's Power on with volume down pressed.

Also, if you get stuck at the Android Guy with the exclamation point in the triangle (geez I wish there are an abbreviation for that), you can hold the power button and press volume up. This will get you back to a low level boot screen that will allow you to reboot without a battery pull, etc.

Correct on flashing Amon and CWM. Each time you do that it installs that recovery. Both are not installed at same time.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    One thing I have found, and I don't think that it can be said enough is that it seems that when using the 1-click root method that a recovery (ClockWorkMod or Amon_RA, is doesn't matter which) only works ONCE. I have found that I much flash them each time I want to use them. Seems completely strange to me, but that's what I'm seeing.

Also, it's not Power on with trackball pressed that gets to recovery. It's Power on with volume down pressed.

Also, if you get stuck at the Android Guy with the exclamation point in the triangle (geez I wish there are an abbreviation for that), you can hold the power button and press volume up. This will get you back to a low level boot screen that will allow you to reboot without a battery pull, etc.
    I wish I had found out about that last part. It would've saved me from all those battery pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
    Correct on flashing Amon and CWM. Each time you do that it installs that recovery. Both are not installed at same time.
    True, but my point is that no matter which one you use it will only boot ONE TIME when using the 1-click rooter. It must be flashed each and every time that you want to boot into it. Weird and annoying, yes.

From my understanding the "old style" method of rooting does not have this problem. It probably has to do with unlocking the bootloader.

Quote Originally Posted by chinoyboi14 View Post
    I wish I had found out about that last part. It would've saved me from all those battery pulls.
    I hear you. It takes a while to compile all of this knowledge from all over the place.

That's pretty unusual that it stops on the triangle screen and will not do anything (and I waited for a whole hour). If the only way past it is to press power+vol.up then why even bother requiring any press. Weird.

Doing that I now get to a recovery type menu that's offering me the chance to wipe like a factory reset or install sdcard:update.zip but I know that I don't have a file called update.zip on my SD card so I'm really scared that if I do wipe, when I then select install sdcard:update.zip it's going to fail.

Maybe I should be copying/renaming the CM and GAPPS zip files that I downloaded to update.zip and putting them in the root of the SD card. Too many maybes

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    It's crunch time now. Do I dare.

I rooted, I nandroided, I Titanium Backed up, and now I've downloaded CM6 stable. One more step and I'm cyanogen'ed. Scared much? You bet.

Staring at the ROM Manager screen with it's "Wipe Data and Cache" option glaring at me.

Update: I went ahead with it. Now I've either bricked my phone or it's busy doing it. No idea which is the case. No idea if I should leave it an hour or if it's dead. If I had a keyboard I'd be trying Alt+L about now.

Don't know what to do now. I get stuck in this screen if I try and install CM6. A reboot gets me back to my un-modded state (because the recovery-install didn't do anything).

Well, at least I'm rooted. That's something.

Forget about the Alt-L different phone. Got to watch which guide you are reading and what forum you are on. It may be a Desire forum and you don't realize it cause you got there by googling. You did not brick your phone and you have a backup. You are ok.

If you are still stuck, I just pull batt and before phone turns on hold down vol- and pwr at same time until phone boots into recovery. Use vol- to highlite Recovery and pwr button to select it. Green screen. In recovery on main screen pwr button turns phone off/on for pwr savings. Any other screen use pwr button to go back to previous screen. Once in recovery you can find Backup and restore. Scroll down with trackball and using trackball select it. You should see your backups there. Highlite the one you want and select it, all using trackball. When done it should take you back to the main recovery screen and you can click on reboot system now.

Assumong you are still stuck, I type slow, you should now be back to where you were before you flashed CM6. Also, when flashing CM6 you want to include Google Addons (gapps) as a .zip addon. That is another set of instructions and will vary on how to do it depending on how and where you downloaded CM6 and the latst gapps.

I am going to post this now and find another post of mine on setting up Rom Manager correctly.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

This is another post on steps including Rom Mannager and ClockworkMod setup. Some people have better luck to reflash ClockworkMod from the main Rom Manager screen before each backup and new install.

"I would root first with the one click. Easy Root APP [Instructions]

Then dl Titanium Back Up from the Market and get familiar with it. Do some backups and go thru the options on all screens. Open some of the apps and see options there. When you dl TB agree to install busybox. If you are not promted to do that it is under the "problems" button at botom right of main screen. I would buy paid version. With TB open, swype phone menu button and go over all options. Under Preferences, tap on compression and select LZO.

Once you are familiar with TB go to market and download Rom Manager, upgrade to paid also. You support the devs work and have full functionality on these programs. On Rom Manager main screen tap on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and select your device. On main screen, swype phone menu key and select Settings then make sure Advanced Mode and Update Notifications are checked. On main screen of RM also tap on Fix Permissions. It will take several minutes to run.

Also, just in case you may need it, probably will, on phone, menu/settings/applications/development/check usb debugging and usb debugging notify.

When you get that far you are ready to install custom roms, themes, kernals etc. You can get with us on what you want to do and we can lay out exact steps for what ever you want to install. ALWAYS do the Rom Manager "Backup Current Rom" before installing anything."

Once you install CM6 rom, TB will not be there, so like noted install free version from Market, I would get paid version when you first installed it, it will upgrade to paid when you install the free one after rom install. After you do your restore all apps and data you can refresh list, all icons should come back up on the TB app list like the Green M's and smileys. If you get LauncherPro from the Market too and set it up before installing your first rom you can back it up too. And like Beer Goggles said it will restore all screens when you first run it after the rom install.

Truth had good instructions on the actual dl and install sequence. Once you have a backup, you can overcome anything.

If we forgot anything ask as you go thru the steps."

If you are still stuck and get back to you original point let us know where you got CM6 and gapps from so we can instruct on right flashing sequence.

Here is what Truth posted on downloading and install CM6 and gapps thru RM.

I would also recommend mounting your phone thru usb and looking thru the clockworkmod folders and the main "download" folder on the sd card. You can see the hierarchy of the folders and where things are like "mirror.kanged.net". It is under clockworkmod/downloads on sd card and is where CM6 Stable and gapps should be if you dl thru Rom Manager. I also like Linda Manager from Market to do this. The main "download folder on the sd card is where I put dl's I put on pc and copy to sd card.

I got to go, hope this helps or you alraedy got it working. Others still here to help.

Ken

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    That's pretty unusual that it stops on the triangle screen and will not do anything (and I waited for a whole hour). If the only way past it is to press power+vol.up then why even bother requiring any press. Weird.

Doing that I now get to a recovery type menu that's offering me the chance to wipe like a factory reset or install sdcard:update.zip but I know that I don't have a file called update.zip on my SD card so I'm really scared that if I do wipe, when I then select install sdcard:update.zip it's going to fail.

Maybe I should be copying/renaming the CM and GAPPS zip files that I downloaded to update.zip and putting them in the root of the SD card. Too many maybes
    Do this:

Install Titanium backup (if you haven't already).
    If you're rooted (if not, use 1-click rooter), use TB to backup all apps and system data.
    Install ROM Manager (if you haven't already).

From ROM Manager:
    Flash Clockworkmod recovery.
    Select Download ROM.
    Select Cyanogenmod
    Select Cyanogenmod 6.0.0
    Select Download
    Check Google Apps
    Check Both Backup existing ROM and Wipe Data and Cache

I forget what comes after, but it should be smooth sailing from there.

As long as you have your Titanium backup and check the "Backup existing ROM", you're in great shape.

The Wipe Data and Cache are only needed for big jumps like from stock to CM6 or from CM5 to CM6, etc.

I also backed up LauncherPro using it's own save and restore function (widgets will have to be done manually).

That's what I did......

Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links