Flashing, backups, CM6 etc

This is a discussion on Flashing, backups, CM6 etc within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by Beer Goggles If my kill the phone somehow, how will I get into CWM recovery to get my original ROM back? Your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flashing, backups, CM6 etc

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post

If my kill the phone somehow, how will I get into CWM recovery to get my original ROM back?

Your continued help is much appreciated.
    You could use ADB to reboot into recovery. one more reason to root the old fashioned way. If something goes wrong you will wish you knew more about ADB and the Android SDK.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

I agree with Slim,

I did it that way, very frustarting to get Android SDK installed for me and learn how to use. Still have to look up how to notes when I need to use it. You can manage almost everything file wise from it, if you learn the adb commands. I assume once proficient it is as easy as breathing. I spent dozens of hours researching with googles and going to forums to learn the little that I know. You more proficient guys/gals will pick it up quickly. But, I am a tech moron, but probably more so someone who learns by hands on and visual guidance, not text guides. I did build a TV from scratch and have a 2 year Engineering Degree along with a Business BS. But that was when tube checkers were still in Radio Shacks. But, you are forced to learn more about your phone and the why's of what you are doing. I unlocked and installed Amon recovery that way, and Amon is perfect. I have more promblems now with ClockworkMod and Rom Manger than ever with Amon. Sometimes the easiest ways aren't the best. Will try CWMod for awhile, then if not happy figure out out to get it off phone (more stress and searches) and go back to Amon. There have been threads elsewhere on CWMod's problems. Some folks are very happy with it and that is great.

Sorry for long post, but I think a lot of the recent problem posts on this forum are due to the one click, need to know nothing method and CWMod. Although, some are doing very well with them and helping others out.

Just dicovered the Terminal Emulator app in the Market, scared to use it. You can do logcats with it. Similar to using ADB thru Command Shell, but obviously not as full featured. I also like Root Explorer and Linda Manager for phone management.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Doesn't ADB require and unlocked bootloader?

I'm rooted with a locked bootloader.

I'd rather be able to do everything on the phone and never have to connect to a PC.

Beer,
    You got it working? Are the jitters gone
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    Beer,
    Not yet, I'm too busy working (and checking the forums). Might try it when I get home tonight (although we're going for drinks after work so it might not be the best choice ).

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    Beer,
    Not yet, I'm too busy working (and checking the forums). Might try it when I get home tonight (although we're going for drinks after work so it might not be the best choice ).
    :rofl3:Drinking and flashing should only be done by hot girls!
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Yea, I don't use the Power + Vol Down to access recovery. I usually use QuickBoot from the market or Power +Trackball on start-up.

Beer, Definitely download QuickBoot from the market. It will make things painless when booting into recovery. =)

--> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

- Our handicapped puppy -

*Follow me on Twitter

EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

I don't think the boot loader needs unlocked for ADB. You just had to unlock the bootloader to root the "old" way. Not sure though. Still glad I did it that way.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    Yea, I don't use the Power + Vol Down to access recovery. I usually use QuickBoot from the market or Power +Trackball on start-up.

Beer, Definitely download QuickBoot from the market. It will make things painless when booting into recovery. =)
    Sheanzy, the problem is that you have to have a working system (standard Froyo, CM6, etc) to be able to use an application like QuickBoot. If I trash my system during an installation, I'd like to be 100% sure that I can get into recovery the old fashioned way (Power on with volume down -> then selection recovery) and then be able to use a backup to restore my system.

The issue that I'm seeing is that none of the recovery's work reliably. They work once, the next time they don't and I get the Android guy with the exclamation point. This should not be, correct?

I've tried both CWM and AmonRA. The both do the same thing. They work the first time after I flash them, but the next power cycle, they don't. Why the heck don't they work every time?

The custom recoverys work great when you root the old school way. Its the one clickers that have the issues.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links