Flashing, backups, CM6 etc

This is a discussion on Flashing, backups, CM6 etc within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Ok, I'm a long time geek and software developer and still I'm pretty confused about this. I'm considering installing Cyanogenmod 6 Firstly, where the heck ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashing, backups, CM6 etc

Unhappy Flashing, backups, CM6 etc

Ok, I'm a long time geek and software developer and still I'm pretty confused about this. I'm considering installing Cyanogenmod 6

Firstly, where the heck does "Nandroid" come from?
    Also, does it do the same thing that ROM Manager does when it backs up your ROM?

Here's what I've done so far:
    1) One-click rooted
    2) Installed Titanium Backup
    3) Backed up all apps and system data using Titanium Backup
    4) Installed Clockworkmod ROM Manager
    5) Flashed the Clockworkmod Recovery
    6) Created a ROM backup using ROM Manager
    7) Downloaded CM6 and Gapps using ROM manager.
    8) Backed up the SD card to removable hard drive

When I boot into recovery, I get the colored nexus X and then the Android guy with the ! in the triangle. Then I hold power and press power up.

I don't see any list of backup. Why? Shouldn't I get list of backups (only one in my case) to restore?

Additional questions:
    Can you have more then one "recovery"?
    What is a "recovery"?

I'm a little worried since I can't use the recovery to see the current backup that I have.

Anyone want to clue me in to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance......

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

First of all on the Main Rom Manager (RM) page select Fix Permissions and also from the Main page, swype menu softkey on phone then select Settings and make sure Advanced is selected. Then try it. You shouldn't get any Android guy. You should go straight to recovery screen with green print. There you have choices to Reboot, apply sdcard:update.zip (which only looks for "update.zip" files. Not used anymore, was for other phones and still left on screen. But, if you have one with that name, it will go right to it. Also, 2 wipe choices, I do both. Install zip will go find .zip files with anything else preceding it. Nandroid is where your ClockworkMod (CWM) backups are located. The other two I have not delved in to. Nandroid comes from the older style of backing up thru other recoveries like AmonRa. I have that also, so on RM screen i can flash Alternate Recovery and switch back and forth between the two. I have backups (Nandroid Backups) made with Amon that I can access when I flash to Amon and restore them. Most people just use CWM thru RM. RM is just the interface between your phone and the recovery. It eliminate some steps in backing up and restoring with other recoveries like Amon and the names of the backup files can vary more. When on the main recovery screen you reboot to get out of it, or you can press pwr quickly to pwr off/on to conserve battery. On the other screens press pwr to go back.

You did everything right on install and backing up sdcard, lots of people don't do that, so i am not sure what is wrong.

To see your backups, go to Manage and Restore Backups. On Install from from SD Card, look for the clockwork folder and go to download and find the mirror.kanged.net and the latest gapps and roms will be there. You can also go to Download Rom and find the latest Cyan Nghtlies.

I had trouble installing the latest gapps provided by CWM, so i went to Cyan dl webpage and dl'd to pc or phone and copy to sdcard. If I dl to phone, I use Linda Manager to copy to sdcard. It is a file manager app from the market. Very handy.

I am still partial to Amon. It was rock solid, but you have to install (flash) it by installing Android SDK on phone and using ADB thru pc shell window. A whole different set of things to learn there, but you can add and delete apps and change files thru it. I installed Amon that way. ou can dl other roms to the pc then Sd and flash thru CWM by way of Install Rom from SD Card.

Since you are IT, there is a Terminal Emulator app in Market that does a lot of the same things. The app Root Explorer is good too. Listing these because of your pc experience. They are handy, I have used them and I am not tech/pc savvy.

Recovery is just where you go to to manage backup and restores from your sdcard. You can also get there by powering phone down then holding vol- and pwr at same time for a few seconds, you then want to scroll down by using vol button and selecting recovery with trackball, I think. It is confusing having two recoveries. However that sequence is for Amon recovery. If using CWM you will see same recovery screen I described earlier. Most of the time you can do it all thru CWM.

With these phones and my Blackberies, reboots and battery pulls are your best friend.

Any luck on things working OK?

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Ok, I'm a long time geek and software developer and still I'm pretty confused about this. I'm considering installing Cyanogenmod 6

Firstly, where the heck does "Nandroid" come from?
    Also, does it do the same thing that ROM Manager does when it backs up your ROM?

Here's what I've done so far:
    1) One-click rooted
    2) Installed Titanium Backup
    3) Backed up all apps and system data using Titanium Backup
    4) Installed Clockworkmod ROM Manager
    5) Flashed the Clockworkmod Recovery
    6) Created a ROM backup using ROM Manager
    7) Downloaded CM6 and Gapps using ROM manager.
    8) Backed up the SD card to removable hard drive

When I boot into recovery, I get the colored nexus X and then the Android guy with the ! in the triangle. Then I hold power and press power up.

I don't see any list of backup. Why? Shouldn't I get list of backups (only one in my case) to restore?

Additional questions:
    Can you have more then one "recovery"?
    What is a "recovery"?

I'm a little worried since I can't use the recovery to see the current backup that I have.

Anyone want to clue me in to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance......
    Beer buddy, you're in good hands with rugmanken...plus you're a smart guy.
    That being said, I know where you're coming from trying to install this stuff...the damn lingo is confusing.

Nandroid backup is just a backup of your Rom. So when someone says do a "Nandroid" backup, they mean backup your rom using Clockwork Rom Manager or Amon Ra. When you Flashed Clockwork Recovery, you basically installed Clockwork to your recovery...so whenever you boot into recovery, you can access Clockwork backups from there.
    Here's some recommendations for ya. Purchase full versions of Clockwork Rom Manager and Titanium backup. What Rom manager backup does is makes an exact copy of all your current settings/apps and ROM, so if you ever screw up, you can go back. What Titanium does is backs up your apps and settings, so when you install a new ROM, you have all your stuff.

Looks like you already backed up your stuff though.

Ok now to install your Rom.
    Go to clockwork>settings>check advanced settings. Then go to the main screen again and select Fix Permissions. This will take about 5-15 minutes depending on how many apps you have....go get a beer
    Now Reboot.
    Once you're back, open Rom Manager.
    Select Download Rom>Cyanogen Mod>CyanogenMod 6.0.0-RC3>download>check google apps>ok
    Now it will download the Rom and Google Apps to your SDcard. Once it finishes downloading, you'll get a popup...check wipe and check backup if you haven't already backed up your rom. Your phone will reboot...get another beer.
    This will take about 10 minutes....as soon as you're passed the :nexusx: and see the cyanogen boot animation you can breathe easy...get another beer.
    Now, you'll be prompted to sign into your gmail account. Now all your apps will finish syncing. You'll have to reinstall Titanium backup.
    Open Titanium backup and select "Problems?" Select yes to install Busybox. Now press"backup/restore". Press menu key>batch> Restore all apps with data>run the batch operation.
    Now everything will start to restore....If you have the donate version of Titanium just sit back, relax and have another beer. If you have the free version, then you'll be prompted to install each app one by one...but you can still have a beer. Once the restore is finished, you'll have to redo all your widgets. Welcome to Cyanogen....explore....have another beer
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

cxm
    beergoogles when I had the same issue as you, rugmankc suggested reflashing clockwork in rom manager (even though I had done it previously) then downloading and selecting the rom again - not sure of the wizardry behind this but it worked perfectly! (previously I was just getting stuck on the standard android exclamation screen.)

Thanks Everyone,

Here's more of my story....

I tried cmx's suggestion and flashed the CWM recovery again. Then I used ROM Manager to boot into recovery and I got the CWM recovery! Yah!.

But, when I try to reboot cold (without ROM Manager) I cannot get into CWM recovery. Why is this? Shouldn't I be able to always get into it from the standard Power on with Volume Down?

If my kill the phone somehow, how will I get into CWM recovery to get my original ROM back?

Your continued help is much appreciated.

Yes you should, hold the vol- and pwr at same time for several seconds or until it boots. Can be tricky at first. If you can't do that, there is another problem.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Beer,
    Try this.
    Turn off Phone.
    Boot into recovery (vol down + power)
    Select "Recovery"
    Select Nandroid
    I think that's where you'll see CW Recovery.

EDIT: It helps if you think of "Nandroid" and "CW Recovery" as the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I tried it again and now it works..... scary inconsistent....

Just about ready to make the dive.....

Did I mention that I'm scared?.... :rofl3:

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    Beer,
    Try this.
    Turn off Phone.
    Boot into recovery (vol down + power)
    Select "Recovery"
    Select Nandroid
    I think that's where you'll see CW Recovery.

EDIT: It helps if you think of "Nandroid" and "CW Recovery" as the same.
    Nandroid is part of recovery, you see it in CWM Recovery.... thx

Good luck Beer. You'll be fine.
    Fear, that will be replaced by happiness soon enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links