Rooting & Security issues?

This is a discussion on Rooting & Security issues? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I am a paranoid IT person who always errs on the side of caution. I am comfortable working with Linux and understand the dangers generally ...

Thread: Rooting & Security issues?

Rooting & Security issues?

I am a paranoid IT person who always errs on the side of caution. I am comfortable working with Linux and understand the dangers generally with having constant root access on a PC. I assume there are similar risks on our phones as well. I am curious if anyone has found any nasty exploits on our phones as a result of rooting. On the iPhone jailbreaking caused SSH to not be secure without setting it properly.

Does anyone know of any security precautions that need to be taken after rooting? I was going to use Universal Root and to CM6 RC3 but want to do my homework first.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I am not sure about this but I haven't seen such problem arise anywhere. The only thing that came out last couple of weeks was about that so-called android virus that emerged.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    "You don't know the power of the dark side!"

Im thinking about rooting my phone to Cyanogenmod 6 because i need my earpiece and speaker volume to be louder as well as my music player because i can never hear when there is background noise, i also want fm radio. my only issue is i have had about 6 devices because they all have been defected someway, so if i root my next device and somehow a new problem occurs will htc swap it out for me like they been doing for my standard rom devices??????

Getting back to the thread topic, so far Galloway, nothing specifically has been pointed to yet as a danger specifically because the user runs a rootedphone. Obviously any jerk releasing a trojan or similar will target the maximum number of people, and that's not root users.

Just be aware it's not much different than running a linux system with apps that might request root status. On that level it's pretty obvious something wants it, You're allowed to deny it and remove the privilege in the future. Just as with allowing permissions when installing apps, it can get easy to get impatient and skip over requests. On the good side, though, it's not like you're running as root all the time.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links