Have I rooted properly?

This is a discussion on Have I rooted properly? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I have just used easyroot and installed Cyanogen 5.0.8. (I think) I am really concerned, because now the phone doesn't have any links (Android Market, ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have I rooted properly?

Unhappy Have I rooted properly?

I have just used easyroot and installed Cyanogen 5.0.8. (I think)
    I am really concerned, because now the phone doesn't have any links (Android Market, etc) and very few icons (messages, contacts, etc)
    Have I done it properly? How can I get links back, in particular the Market?
    About Phone shows - Mod version CyanogenMod-5.0.8.-N1.

EEEEPPP!!! Help!!!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I think you did it right but did not read enough before you jumped in. What recovery are you using? Rom Manager etc.

You need to install Google Add Ons to get the Market and Google/Gmail Back. Why did you install 5.0.8 and not CM6?

Which recovery you have will depend on how to proceed. Hope you made a backup of you original rom irregardless of which recovery you are using. Once you get Market back, highly recommend getting and using Titanium Back Up from the Market. Get paid version.

I just posted this, may give you some new info on all this.

"I would root first with the one click. Easy Root APP [Instructions]

Then dl Titanium Back Up from the Market and get familiar with it. Do some backups and go thru the options on all screens. Open some of the apps and see options there. When you dl TB agree to install busybox. If you are not promted to do that it is under the "problems" button at botom right of main screen. I would buy paid version. With TB open, swype phone menu button and go over all options. Under Preferences, tap on compression and select LZO.

Once youn are familiar with TB go to market and download Rom Manager, upgrade to paid also. You support the devs work and have full functionality on these programs. On Rom Manager main screen tap on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery and select your device. On main screen, swype phone menu key and select Settings then make sure Advanced Mode and Update Notifications are checked. On main sceen of RM also tap on Fix Permissions. It will take several minutes to run. Re Flash ClockworkMod Recovery before you do anything else, ie installing new roms etc.

Also, just in case you may need it, probably will, on phone, menu/settings/applications/development/usb debugging and usb debugging notify.

When you get that far you are ready to install custom roms, themes, kernals etc. You can get with us on what you want to do and we can lay out exact steps for what ever you want to install. ALWAYS do the Rom Manager "Backup Current Rom" before installing anything.

Long post but an idea of how to get ready"

But forst we need to get Google Addons installed.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Yea, by not having the Android Market and etc, it just seems as if you haven't flashed the GAPPS.

Do me a favor and check and see if you have Google Talk, Google Voice, and Maps. If you have them, try to open them.

-If you're missing any applications, you may have forgot to backup. As Rugmankc stated, you need to get familiar with TitaniumBackup. It's a very essential application for when you root. It will save data+apps.

--> Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED

--> ...a Gingerbread ROM

- Our handicapped puppy -

*Follow me on Twitter

EASY ROOT + CUSTOM KERNEL FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS ----> HERE

Thanks to both of you for your help, but I need it once again!
    I have followed the steps as described, but now when I go to download Cyanogen 6.0, ROM Manager asks me to "Backup Existing ROM" and "Wipe Data And Cache". I have tried checking both of these, none of them and both seperately.
    The next stage is "Press OK to reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery and continue the installation"
    When I click ok, the phone re-starts, but instead of re-booting, it shows a triangle with an exclamation point and the Android.
    I have tried pressing pwr + Vol Up, Down and the track ball, before and during this. But it wont go away!
    Sad Face!!!!

cxm
    I had the same issue - I had to re-flash the clockwork mod recovery from rom manager (first option), and next time it seemed to work just fine..

Try flashing the recovery again before you do this update. Sometimes it just doesn't stick.

Edit: Good timing C!
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

It never sticks if you're using the 1-click root method. You always have to reflash the recovery right before you want to use it.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Right, now then, I have done as above and the Root seems to have worked. I have attempted to install the Cyanogem 6.0 and the screen shows the Cyanogem mod legend over and over and over..............
    The only way I have been able to stop it is to remove the battery, but then it starts again. If I press Vol down + Pwr, the ReBoot menu appears, but when I try these options, nothing happens. It either shuts down, then restarts with the same legend or it just goes straight to the legend.
    WTF!!!

Oh, and when I go into the green advanced menu, I can't get it to work either!

Ewan, first of all it is vol- (down) and pwr button at same time. Hold them until phone boots into recovery. Then use vol- to go down one line and highlite recovery. Then press pwr to select it. That is how you do it.

When you finally got back to the main phone screens, if you did, did you do all I said in my first post. These steps are all important to get the initial setup right. The fix permissions, Advanced checked, re-flashing clockworkmod recovery before you do anything.

Do you have backup of your original rom? If not and if you can get to the main Rom Manager screen do a backup thru BackUp Current Rom from the main Rom Mgr page. But do all the things I said in my first post.

When you pull battery and reinsert, quickly before it has a chance to pwr on, hold down the vol- and pwr and boot into recovery. Do what i said earlier in this post to get to the recovery screen. Then select reboot system now. If that gets youback to the phone working follow my first post before you do anymore flashing. The get with us on step by step.

If you can get the backup done the way I just described it above by doing it thru Rom Mgr and selecting Backup Current Rom don't select backup when you start to install new rom, just skip it, but wipe data/cache.

But, please if you get the phone back on, do my first post first.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links