Do I Really Need to Recover After Unlocking?

This is a discussion on Do I Really Need to Recover After Unlocking? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I switched from a Nexus One to Droid 2, only because I couldn't take the virtual keyboard anymore. I'm okay with breaking the contract with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I Really Need to Recover After Unlocking?

Do I Really Need to Recover After Unlocking?

I switched from a Nexus One to Droid 2, only because I couldn't take the virtual keyboard anymore. I'm okay with breaking the contract with T-Mobile and will pay the fine but now I want to sell the phone. Since the phone has no service how far do I have to go through the unlocking tutorial. I just want to unlock the phone, I don't care if I lose any info because I want it all erased anyway. Can someone show me a link to do just that? I apologize to the experts for what seems to be a very repeated question.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Your post makes no sense to me and maybe others. If you are talking about unlocking to use with other carriers, it is already done on the phone. Although, other than TMO and some locals like Cnicinnati Bell, the buyer will not get 3g.

If you are talking about unlocking the bootloader, why. You are selling and could mess up the phone. And, void the warranty for the new owner. He/She may not even want it unlocked.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Yes, I'm talking about unlocking to use with other carriers. Isn't that what's done when you want to sell a phone? All I see on eBay are unlocked phones for sale so that's what I want to do. I don't understand what you mean when you say 'it is already done on the phone'. That it's already unlocked because I cancelled my agreement with T-Mobile? So how do I get rid of all the info on my phone? Remove the SIM card? For the experienced, PLEASE bear with me.

Oh, and how can I tell if my phone is unlocked.

The Nexus One bought thru google is already unlocked for you purposes. You only need to do a factory reset thru the phone options. Not sure about the sim. I had an option for that on my BB8900. Don't know about the N1. Wipe SD Card too.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
    The Nexus One bought thru google is already unlocked for you purposes. You only need to do a factory reset thru the phone options. Not sure about the sim. I had an option for that on my BB8900. Don't know about the N1. Wipe SD Card too.
    That sounds about right to me.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Factory Reset, Wipes all Data:

Settings/Privacy/Factory Data Reset

All I could find on Sim:

Tap on Contacts Icon/Menu/Import-Export. Export Contacts. Not sure if that wipes. Do some googling. Or maybe some else will know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Hmmm.

I reset my N1 and cleared out the SIM card. I wrote down the IMEI# before I shut it down. Then I took the SIM card out of the N1 and put my Verizon SIM card in it's place. The IMEI#s were identical. Shouldn't they be different? Under Settings-About Phone-Status it shows Network 'unknown', Mobile network type 'unknown'. I would think it show up as 'Verizon Wireless' and 'CDMA-EvDo rev.A', respectively. Does this mean that my N1 is still locked? Still doing research. I'm trying to learn, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Haupia View Post
    I reset my N1 and cleared out the SIM card. I wrote down the IMEI# before I shut it down. Then I took the SIM card out of the N1 and put my Verizon SIM card in it's place. The IMEI#s were identical. Shouldn't they be different?
    NOPE> IMEI is your handset number not SIM Number

Your T Mo Phone's 3G service bands will work Almost everywhere (Europe & Asia incl) except on a few North American Telecos' like ATT and Canada Rogers

I don't know about the other stuff ....

Hope i helped

Quote Originally Posted by Haupia View Post
    I reset my N1 and cleared out the SIM card. I wrote down the IMEI# before I shut it down. Then I took the SIM card out of the N1 and put my Verizon SIM card in it's place. The IMEI#s were identical. Shouldn't they be different? Under Settings-About Phone-Status it shows Network 'unknown', Mobile network type 'unknown'. I would think it show up as 'Verizon Wireless' and 'CDMA-EvDo rev.A', respectively. Does this mean that my N1 is still locked? Still doing research. I'm trying to learn, really.
    I think you may be confused on the terms "carrier unlocked" (like you see on eBay) and "bootloader unlocked" which used to be required for rooting.

Nexus One is always "carrier unlocked" meaning it will work on any GSM network. Verizon and Sprint are both CDMA networks and will not work with the N1. Also, the 3G radio is specific to a carriers bandwidth. That means a T-Mobile N1 will work on Att, but only on edge. The reverse is true... my AT&T N1 will work on T-Mobile or Virgin etc but only on the edge data network.

Do not unlock the bootloader. It is unnecessary. Even rooting and flashing roms does not require this step anymore. All it does is void the HTC hardware warranty.

As for clearing the phone, I would pull the SD card and use a micro adapter to slap it in your computer and format / secure erase the contents. Then follow the instructions to factory reset the phone through Settings - Privacy (posted in earlier post).

Talking

Yes!! Carrier unlocked! I always thought you could use any phone on any carrier if it were unlocked from the carrier. Now I know that it only works on carriers that are on the same type of network. GSM-GSM, CDMA-CDMA. No GSM-CDMA. Excellent.

I will not unlock the bootloader.

Since I already reset the phone and cleared my SD card (not SIM, oy!) I can finally put my phone on eBay. I really liked this phone but when I came from a Blackberry (that had a physical keyboard) to a phone that is virtual keyboard, I just didn't have the patience to work with it, even after six months, and using Swype. I hope my N1 makes someone happy.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links