FRG83 Root Question

This is a discussion on FRG83 Root Question within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by koolbon "After that I made a backup then used rom manager to install that image. It was exactly what I wanted, plus ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FRG83 Root Question

Quote Originally Posted by koolbon View Post
    "After that I made a backup then used rom manager to install that image. It was exactly what I wanted, plus I didn't loose anything and I noticed the gallery improvement they were talking about."

I believe I need to do what you did, but I am not completely clear about the procedures. I have Rom manager and have already made a backup.
    Now, you flashed/installed the downloaded ROM via Rom manager, then what?
    Wouldn't restoring the backup undo what you just did? Or does it have some type of option to restore only the apps and data at the time of restoring? Does the new ROM come with ROM manager installed?
    I feel so old these days....
    I don't know if I did it the correct way or if it just worked out for me. But basically I downloaded FRG83_stock.zip from the link. Then I just put it on my SD card and used the ROM manager and clicked Install ROM from SD Card. I browsed to the zip file and then it'll ask you if you want to format stuff or not. I just left them both unchecked and clicked go.

It restarted and installed the update, then when it booted back up all my stuff was still there and it shows the update was applied. I did have to shut it off and turn it back on again the first time, for some reason the touch screen didn't work. So I held the power button and used the track ball. Other than that I've had no problems.

"Yes this gets flashed in recovery"

What do you mean by "this"? Do you mean the new ROM?
    So, backup from ROM manager is a full backup of everything for just in case?
    Well, if something goes wrong and the phone gets messed up how would I restore THAT backup??
    I do have a backup from titanium backup as well, so after flashing the new ROM, I would restore the backup from Titanium backup to get my apps and data back...

Snickolaz sounded like he did everything with ROM manager, but he couldn't have done that is that right??

wait a minute...
    so you did do with ROM manager alone and you didn't even have to restore anything to have everything you had back on the phone??
    I am getting confused again...

"Yes this gets flashed in recovery"

What do you mean by "this"? Do you mean the new ROM?
    So, backup from ROM manager is a full backup of everything for just in case?
    Well, if something goes wrong and the phone gets messed up how would I restore THAT backup??
    I do have a backup from titanium backup as well, so after flashing the new ROM, I would restore the backup from Titanium backup to get my apps and data back...

Snickolaz sounded like he did everything with ROM manager, but he couldn't have done that is that right??
    This = the rom I linked to earlier

to restore a nandroid you just go into recovery and select nandroid restore and choose the backup you'd like to restore.

If you do a full wipe, your apps will be gone. This is where titanium comes into play

The full wipe depends on what rom you are currently using. If you were coming from CM6 and flashed this without a full wipe you might run into Problems.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

That means Snickolaz didn't do the full wipe, so he didn't have to restore anything?
    I have rooted stock with Apps2SD tweak done via ADB. Does that mean I don't have to do full wipe?
    Thank you very much for the replies by the way...

That means Snickolaz didn't do the full wipe, so he didn't have to restore anything?
    I have rooted stock with Apps2SD tweak done via ADB. Does that mean I don't have to do full wipe?
    Yeah I didn't do the full wipe. I came from a rooted stock with the apps2sd tweak done via ADB too. It all just worked for me. But I see what SliceBurgSlim is talking about, if you were to come from a custom rom you would probably have problems. But it sounds like you are coming from exactly what I was. So you should be good to go! If things get screwed up you can just boot into recovery and restore your backup. Oh and yes I did do everything from ROM manager.

No problem

Yes you are correct about snickolaz.

Not sure about the apps2sd tweak. You could always try it and if it doesn't work you can just restore your nandroid and do a full wipe then reflash.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

very kewl... I will try that out.
    Thanks a lot.

Ok, it did work, but I got one minor(?) problem.
    I lost about 25MB of internal storage. I was actually hoping I will gain some.
    I removed some of the stuff again, but that's only about 5MB. Where did it go??
    I see bunch of stuff in Dalvic cache... is it safe to remove those?

Another thing, why is it installing everything to SD card??

Ok, it did work, but I got one minor(?) problem.
    I lost about 25MB of internal storage. I was actually hoping I will gain some.
    I removed some of the stuff again, but that's only about 5MB. Where did it go??
    I see bunch of stuff in Dalvic cache... is it safe to remove those?

Another thing, why is it installing everything to SD card??
    Cool it worked! I didn't even think to look how much space I had before I did the update. But I'm down to 19.95MB... So I would like to know also about deleting some stuff in the cache. As for everything installing to the SD card, you said you did the apps2sd tweak, for me that tweak installs just about everything to the SD card by default.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links