FRG83 Root Question

This is a discussion on FRG83 Root Question within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; At one point I unlocked my bootloader and rooted Froyo on my AT&T Nexus. Forgot to back everything up before I did it and pretty ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FRG83 Root Question

FRG83 Root Question

At one point I unlocked my bootloader and rooted Froyo on my AT&T Nexus. Forgot to back everything up before I did it and pretty much had to start over... It was a happy sad day. I read a tutorial from XDA on how to do it and at the time I used recovery-RA-nexus-v1.7.0.1.img for my recovery. There's a very good possibility that it's out of date, but it worked at the time.

After I did that I flashed this update.zip from this site. [ame=http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67676#post67676][ROM] Froyo FRF91 Stock with optional root - HTCPedia.com forums[/ame] Not sure if it was the same site, but same zip file.

Now starting this morning I keep getting a pop up on my phone that says there's an update. So I believe if I'm right if/when I do the update I'll loose my root access, then what would be the best process to get it back? I liked just having the stock rom with root access, I know there are plenty of other custom roms out there, but this does the job for me. I did some reading around XDA and somebody said to just update then run that same zip file to get my root access back since my bootloader is unlocked. But I want a second opinion before I do anything like that? Thanks for whatever info you guys can give me!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

[PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

I don't think that 2.2.1 unroots your phone. It simply blocks the "hole" that allowed the 1-click rooting in the first place.

It would sure be nice if Google would be a little more forthcoming with details about what's in their update. For that matter, ALL software developers should do a better job of making clear what, EXACTLY, is in an update.

Nope, that's a lot of add-ons... Is the one at the bottom that says Completely Stock Deodexed with busybox have all of those too, or just the couple I need for root? Looking at the size, I would say I just copy it to my SD card and do the update from recovery and I would be rooted with the newest release. Am I correct on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    I don't think that 2.2.1 unroots your phone. It simply blocks the "hole" that allowed the 1-click rooting in the first place.

It would sure be nice if Google would be a little more forthcoming with details about what's in their update. For that matter, ALL software developers should do a better job of making clear what, EXACTLY, is in an update.
    Yeah the OTA doesn't work because I'm rooted already. The recovery rom said it was invalid

Quote Originally Posted by Snickolaz View Post
    Nope, that's a lot of add-ons... Is the one at the bottom that says Completely Stock Deodexed with busybox have all of those too, or just the couple I need for root? Looking at the size, I would say I just copy it to my SD card and do the update from recovery and I would be rooted with the newest release. Am I correct on that?
    yes I think that one is what you want to flash. Just make sure you do a Nandroid Backup first. Also a full wipe is recommended before flashing this.

Have you tried Rom Manager/Clockwork Recovery instead of AmonRa? If can be found in the market and is better than amonra IMO. Just search Rom Manager if you are interested.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Quote Originally Posted by SliceBurgSlim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snickolaz View Post
    yes I think that one is what you want to flash. Just make sure you do a Nandroid Backup first. Also a full wipe is recommended before flashing this.

Have you tried Rom Manager/Clockwork Recovery instead of AmonRa? If can be found in the market and is better than amonra IMO. Just search Rom Manager if you are interested.
    Haza!!! I am updated now! Thanks for the help! I installed Rom Manager then let it install the Clockwork Recovery. I was a little worried a while back that it would screw something up and I would have to reinstall everything again... But it was an easy pres the button and wait a couple seconds and it was done!

After that I made a backup then used rom manager to install that image. It was exactly what I wanted, plus I didn't loose anything and I noticed the gallery improvement they were talking about. Thanks again!

Awesome!

Glad that worked out so easily!
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

"After that I made a backup then used rom manager to install that image. It was exactly what I wanted, plus I didn't loose anything and I noticed the gallery improvement they were talking about."

I believe I need to do what you did, but I am not completely clear about the procedures. I have Rom manager and have already made a backup.
    Now, you flashed/installed the downloaded ROM via Rom manager, then what?
    Wouldn't restoring the backup undo what you just did? Or does it have some type of option to restore only the apps and data at the time of restoring? Does the new ROM come with ROM manager installed?
    I feel so old these days....

Yes this gets flashed in recovery. A full wipe must be done before flashing.

The Nandroid is just a precaution to avoid a mess. Also you could use titanium backup for your apps.

Rom manager can be downloaded from the market after you flash the new rom. Just reflash the recovery and your good to go.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links