Rooting Help Please

This is a discussion on Rooting Help Please within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi I purchased my N1 through vodafone. I unlocked the bootloader and manually installed a stock rom to get to Froyo when it was first ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooting Help Please

Rooting Help Please

Hi

I purchased my N1 through vodafone.

I unlocked the bootloader and manually installed a stock rom to get to Froyo when it was first released, the phone has now updated to 2.2.1

I thought in doing the above this meant i was rooted, but when i try to use ROM Manager now to start using other roms i get the following.

You must root your phone for ROM Manager to function. Superuser was not found at "/system/bin/su" or "/system/xbin/su"

Anyone want to show me what i need to do, tried googling but there is too much information that i cant see the wood for the trees.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You are not rooted! the 2.2.1 as some minor updates, but mainly closes off the ability to root thru the one-click method. You need to go back to 2.2 and root the old way. I am not up on that procedure, as in there being any newer easy ways to do it (back to 2.2). Someone else will have an answer for that.

Do some searching in the meantime.

I don't know if this is your answer, read all the posts and wait for someone here to confirm. Backup your phone before you do anything. Rooting and flashing roms can be tricky. Once rooted get and learn how to use Titanium Backup and Rom Manager/ClockworkMod. Get paid versions. Until rooted MyBackUpPro is good. There are some good threads and stickies on all this.

http://208.100.42.21/showthread.php?t=714184&page=84

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

So Ken, does this mean the 2.2.1 actually "unroots" phones. I have not seen this verified anywhere.

I know that one of the updates in 2.2.1 makes the 1-click rooting impossible. But I've not heard anyone verify that it actually unroots a rooted phone.

No, what he is saying is that i only unlocked the bootloader originally, i had not actually rooted the phone, thus it is not rooted now.

Problem i have now is 2.2.1 is so new i cant find any info on rooting now

EDIT: I did find a post on XDA that someone lost root privileges after the 2.2.1 upadate, not much else there.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    So Ken, does this mean the 2.2.1 actually "unroots" phones. I have not seen this verified anywhere.

I know that one of the updates in 2.2.1 makes the 1-click rooting impossible. But I've not heard anyone verify that it actually unroots a rooted phone.
    Beer Goggles,

I don't think set ever rooted, and can not now by the one click. I don't think 2.2.1 can unroot either. Didn't man to imply that. Google sucks for not informing people better what these recent updates do.
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by set View Post
    No, what he is saying is that i only unlocked the bootloader originally, i had not actually rooted the phone, thus it is not rooted now.

Problem i have now is 2.2.1 is so new i cant find any info on rooting now
    Set, I understand. We need to research it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Set is there an unlocked lock icon at the bottom of your screen when you boot up the phone?

Like the one in this pic

[PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Yes that shows the bootloader is unlocked right

Someone mentioned just flashing frf91 superboot, any thought on that. Or, would you need to go back to erd79 first.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by set View Post
    Yes that shows the bootloader is unlocked right
    Yes thats correct.

Did you ever Flash a Recovery like AmonRa or Clockwork?
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links