[TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) without unlocking bootloader

This is a discussion on [TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) without unlocking bootloader within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; It took be probably 7 or so tries but it worked in the end. Big Thanks . Just a few observations: At the end of ...

View Poll Results: which should i buy?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • HTC Rezound

0 0%
  • Samsung Galaxy Nexus

2 66.67%
  • Droid Razr

0 0%
  • Droid X2

0 0%
  • Other

1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) without unlocking bootloader

Talking Worked in the end.

It took be probably 7 or so tries but it worked in the end. Big Thanks .

Just a few observations:

At the end of the clean-up phase one should remount the system drive read-only again:

Code:
    ./busybox mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    And Step 5 can be shorted to:

Code:
    $/data/local/tmp/rootnow
    Then you only need a single [up] [return] to redo the step.

Thanks for the method, worked as described :D

Quote Originally Posted by Speedmaster 102 View Post
    Im assuming you're required to do this ontop of these steps posted????

1. install android sdk & USB drivers
    2. extract the content of the zip file into the tools directory of SDK (i.e. \android-sdk-windows\tools)
    -> For all Newbies: Take care that you extract the files directly to the tools folder and don't create a new subdirectory freenexus within tools!!! If you did, delete the folder and extract again!!! Check twice that there is no FOLDER freenexus in your tools directory before you continue!!!
    3. open a command prompt (Windows: Start, Run, "cmd", OK; Linux: Terminal)
    4. change to SDK tools directory (i.e. cd \android-sdk-windows\tools)
    5. connect Nexus to USB and check if debugging mode is activated
    (Settings/Application/Development/USB Debugging)
    6. run "adb devices" in shell and see if there is a device listed. if not back to step 5 or reinstall USB-drivers

Can someone please confirm if the steps suggested by Speedmaster 102 above are indeed required or correct, in particular, step 2 above, since Killerbender originally suggested extracting the zip file to d:\files\ directory.
    Thank you.

You can follow either way...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Junior Member flibbertigibbet007's Avatar
    Simply put, this process was too simple. It made me feel like something was lacking. I mean just to become a SU on my phone, that was easy.
    The concept is simple, copy these files to the phone. Run the rootnow program/script/whatever, may need to do it a few times... Copy the su binary to the correct bin folder. copy other files to the correct locations... and bam. it's done.

Ok, I've rooted. My plan was to do some minor things, editing my hosts file was number one on my list. And it worked, so I know I'm rooted.
    But none of my apps have root capabilities. Except for connect bot... so now what? How do i execute an app with root capabilities? What other goods does this procure me.
    I have no desire to put a custom rom on my N1, so I'm uncertain of what can I do now? I mean, I know "I'm root, what can't I do now?"
    But what apps actually use root capabilities, not requiring a custom rom? (as in every root app I find, requires a custom rom, just being root isn't good enough)

For apps, just search the market for Root.

Since you're not interested in custom ROM, here's some other advantages you now have the ability to do; full system backup (everything), modify system files (eg, if you want to remove Twitter, or other system apps), move cache to SD for more space (ala darktremors etc), Wi-Fi calling on T-Mo, swap kernel for better battery life or overclocked CPU, install FM radio app, and more... xD

Dangerrat thanks. So maybe this is going bit too far but do you think i can partition off some of my sd card for extra storage in my phone? Not sure i can even see how to do it. Im fairly profecient with linux. But that one is further than my knowledge.
    Any links to doing the cache trick?
    But as far as apps i know there are few that caught my attention and most dont work unless you have a custom rom.

You can use Titanium Backup (from the market) as a quick apps to SD tool (use the batch options). Apps with Widgets won't work from the SD, but most other things do.

You can also use DarkTremors apps2sd script (from XDA devs), which also has cache abilities. I haven't used it, so I don't know how good it is...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715940

Which apps need a custom ROM?

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    Which apps need a custom ROM?
    There was a screen shot app that didn't work, I assumed it needed a custom rom. And there was a app2sd app, just wouldn't install. Along with a newer version of the superuser.apk that wouldn't install. (all from the market I forget what they were called.)

I'll look at the darktremor app and see what it gives me.

I think it's acting like my apps don't have su capabilities... astro for example, the file editor wont save system files. (/system/etc/hosts) Is that the app itself, or is it something wrong I'm doing?

Do I need to execute the app via a root user?

Basically where is the app for root, that has the button that turns my phone into a super computer, and gives me super powers, and I can do things like have a super weapon against crime. Etc... (lol) root is super user right? so super user should give me all these advantages. (In other words, where's all the cool root apps for android?)

Sounds like you're not rooted.
    Try a basic root only flashlight app.
    Also, look in your app drawer for Superuser.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links