[TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) without unlocking bootloader

This is a discussion on [TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) without unlocking bootloader within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by danger-rat Sounds like you're not rooted. Try a basic root only flashlight app. Also, look in your app drawer for Superuser. I ...

View Poll Results: which should i buy?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • HTC Rezound

0 0%
  • Samsung Galaxy Nexus

2 66.67%
  • Droid Razr

0 0%
  • Droid X2

0 0%
  • Other

1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) without unlocking bootloader

Junior Member flibbertigibbet007's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    Sounds like you're not rooted.
    Try a basic root only flashlight app.
    Also, look in your app drawer for Superuser.
    I am rooted, because I have edited my hosts file successfully.
    I also downloaded an NTP clock app, that only root can adjust the time. It did so, also superuser app asked me to approve the su access. So I have that installed also.

I think I'm just disappointed I don't see more root required apps. Like a vnc server. Or an X server. And more tools to do deeper function stuff. This may only be because I'm looking solely in the android market, and I have no other ideas of where else to look for. (Rooting for android, and the software base, is more fragmented than the OS is. lol) Maybe I'm just not needing root other than the hosts file i wanted to edit...
    I of course, like most people with a nexus one is running out of space on the internal storage, and that frustrates me. One thing I'd like to see done is using part of my SD card for internal storage. (More than just the App2SD... unless the rooted capabilities are more like the entire app, not just parts.)
    But also maybe things like moving creating a symlink for the sms database to a location on the card? Or other things, to take the load off the internal storage.

I hate it when I fill the internal storage, and I receive a text. "Oh sorry we won't let you download the text you just got because there's not enough space... (and you'll never know what that message was.)" because it decided to block the message completely.

I hear ya!
    Wish I had an answer (or at least wish someone had an answer).

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Well I've found some good aps... and the ap2sd was good... but not only do widgets not work from sd, But ime apps like keyboards don't either. Trying to type with the stock android keyboard now. Lol...
    I lied... just had to reenable it.

Quote Originally Posted by killerbender View Post
    Additional note:
    If you install ClockworkMod and doesn't stays (is deleted) after reboot try this
    1) In your terminal, type "rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh" and hit Enter
    2) In your terminal, type "rm /system/recovery-from-boot.p" and hit Enter
    3) Re-install ClockworkMod using RomManager
    If you get a "Read-only file system" error here, use this command first:

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

So i found why some apps didnt install. Some file in the /mnt/asec directory... deleted and went on my merry way. Found many cool root apps. Cleaned out the bloatware and installed them to sd card. Although i think it messed something up with the facebook sync option in android settings. Too late at night to worry about it though.

Dark tremor apps2sd moves all apps to sd. Frees up tons of mem. Only works on certain roms tho.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Superuser.apk update

The superuser apk can be updated before use this root method. I had some problems to update it in the market, so, I had to run all this process again and change the original superuser.apk for the latest version (2.3.6.1 in my case).
    It worked perfectly.

Thanks a lot for your post.

Sorry about my English, it is not my first language.

I just got a refurb on warranty replacement, and panicked because I couldn't downgrade to a version that would let me root. Every time I tried to install an older PASSIMG.zip file I got the error:

Code:
    Main version is older!
    Update fail!
    I tried Universal Androot as kind of a last ditch and was starting to think I wasn't going to be able to do it without unlocking my bootloader. When I tried these instructions, I kept getting an adb 'device not found' error when trying to open adb shell after restarting the server. I needed to kill the server twice before adb shell would reconnect, and on the second restart, I was not root.

If it helps anyone, what finally worked was this:
    -run the exploit (rootnow)
    -kill/restart adb server
    -unplug the device from my computer and plug it back in

Then I was able to start adb shell and got the # prompt I was waiting for. THANK YOU for this method. Much simpler than the hack I used with my first N1 almost a year ago which involved modifying the battery to slip the SD card past it. I wish I found this thread earlier in the night, I would have saved myself a couple of hours.

There is a fix for the main version is older problem:
    http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...html#post98568

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    There is a fix for the main version is older problem:
    http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...html#post98568
    Thanks, that's already an informative thread, and it looks like you're going to make it more useful with images! Is it possible to find the main version without fastboot access? I tried at least 4 different passimg files before floundering and finding this thread.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links