[TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) in Ubuntu 10.04 without unlocking bootloader

This is a discussion on [TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) in Ubuntu 10.04 without unlocking bootloader within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; <3 <3 <3 Thankyou so much for taking the time to upload the file and testing it no less! Will report my success, and spread ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) in Ubuntu 10.04 without unlocking bootloader

<3 <3 <3 Thankyou so much for taking the time to upload the file and testing it no less! Will report my success, and spread the word about the tutorial to other ubuntuans in need.

Have a blissful end of week and beyond

new edit: I hit enter to see the device listed. It came up correctly, but at step 3d, I'm getting:

bash: /usr/bin/adb: Permission denied

Is there a conflict because I had to manually drag the adb to the phone folder, and also did sudo for it to be available in bin? If so, is there a way for me to get it out of bin? And if I have to disconnect the phone, can I restart from 3d or do I start from the top?

previous edit:
    Got it. I'm in. Had to make sure to check off executable for the adb *_^
    The adb devices command came up but isn't showing the device number. I will go back and see what might be the issue.

z
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleZoe View Post
    I'm getting a permission denied with part 3c.
    '/adb kill-server
    bash: ./adb: Permission denied
    ./adb start-server

I had to manually copy the adb to a phone folder on the desktop when the terminal wouldn't copy it over saying it couldn't create the file or directory. I copied using the sudo method instead. When I tried the rest of the tutorial without the adb in the phone folder, 3c. denied permissions, and even with the adb in the phone file starting from scratch, it denied permissions.
    Any ideas why this is acting up?
    The gedit rules process went smoothly.
    It is probably a permissions issue with the file (since it came from me).

Try this (You may need to do sudo on these):

chown {Your User Name}:{Your group, which is probably your user name again.} ./adb
    chmod +rwx ./adb

So for me it would be:

chown theaceoffire:theaceoffire ./adb
    chmod +rwx ./adb

Then when you do ls -l on the folder, adb should be owned by you, in your group, and should have read, write, and execute for everyone.

****EDIT 1*****
    Or if you already own the file, all you have to do is right click the adb file, go to properties, and allow execution as a program.

****EDIT 2*****
    Fixed a typo in the command.

Edit: Checked with the ls -l command and adb isn't there. This could be because of the:
    missing operand after `+rwx' message I got after attempting to change permissions. This must be the problem holding up the 3d. attempt at temporary root in the tutorial. I will do research to see what steps I can take to change permissions to see what might be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by theaceoffire View Post
    z
    I'm getting a permission denied with part 3c.
    '/adb kill-server
    ./adb start-server

I had to manually copy the adb to a phone folder on the desktop when the terminal wouldn't copy it over saying it couldn't create the file or directory. I copied using the sudo method instead. When I tried the rest of the tutorial without the adb in the phone folder, 3c. denied permissions, and even with the adb in the phone file starting from scratch, it denied permissions.
    Any ideas why this is acting up?
    The gedit rules process went smoothly.
    It is probably a permissions issue with the file (since it came from me).

Try this (You may need to do sudo on these):

chown {Your User Name}:{Your group, which is probably your user name again.} ./adb
    chmod +rwx

So for me it would be:

chown theaceoffire:theaceoffire ./adb
    chmod +rwx

Then when you do ls -l on the folder, adb should be owned by you, in your group, and should have read, write, and execute for everyone.

****EDIT 1*****
    Or if you already own the file, all you have to do is right click the adb file, go to properties, and allow execution as a program.

Please pardon my confusion. I had forgotten to check the adb as executable, and got to the point of 3d, then edited my question, not seeing that you'd replied.

Now seeing your reply, I wonder if the permissions issue is interfering with part 3d.
    I've entered the command lines you've given with my username, but I'm getting this message:

missing operand after `+rwx'

Likely, I own the file if I was able to right-click and check execute permissions in the adb.
    Thinking now I probably didn't need to enter the command lines.

Do I need to begin from scratch? Erase anything?
    I appreciate your time, and don't want to take up too much of it. If it's necessary to resume another time, do I unplug and later start from scratch or from 3d?

Ha ha, I had a typo.

Yeah, you need to 'chmod +rwx adb' to alter the permissions for adb. I forgot the file of all things, goodness.

So let's see... you are having problems with step 3d?

So you were able to get step 3c done, to run the command 'adb devices' and get the correct results?

If so, then you should be able to do:

adb push {location of rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin}/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rage

//Let me know what errors you get.

That lets you move the exploit to your phone's temporary folder.

If that works without errors, please run:

adb shell chmod 700 /data/local/tmp/rage

//That should allow you to execute the rage program for next step.

^_^ Anyway, let me know the errors. I may be sporadic in my replies as I have a fairly busy schedule, but I will try to keep stopping by the thread when you reply.

****Edit 1****
    As to your second question, about restarting... As long as you don't get rid of any files, there is no reason to redownload them or whatever. Making Ubuntu able to see the nexus one only has to happen ONCE and it stays that way forever, and files moved to your phone STAY on your phone till you delete them. So yeah, you can pick up from 3d, assuming all steps up to 3c also were executed with no errors.

Ha ha, I had a typo.

Yeah, you need to 'chmod +rwx adb' to alter the permissions for adb. I forgot the file of all things, goodness.

So you were able to get step 3c done, to run the command 'adb devices' and get the correct results?

adb push {location of rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin}/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rage

^_^ Anyway, let me know the errors. I may be sporadic in my replies as I have a fairly busy schedule, but I will try to keep stopping by the thread when you reply.

****Edit 1****
    As to your second question, about restarting... As long as you don't get rid of any files, there is no reason to redownload them or whatever. Making Ubuntu able to see the nexus one only has to happen ONCE and it stays that way forever, and files moved to your phone STAY on your phone till you delete them. So yeah, you can pick up from 3d, assuming all steps up to 3c also were executed with no errors.
    I had to manually copy the adb to my home folder, the same way I did trying it in the desktop/phone folder.

ls -l shows that I own adb, now that I've done that and ran chown in terminal ^_^

Still can't adb push with the rageagainstthecage though.
    Tried it a few ways. Permission denied everytime.
    Specifically:

Again, thankyou for your help. I appreciate that you are busy, and are still extending guidance.

Ha ha, I had a typo.

****Edit 1****
    I had to manually copy the adb to my home folder, the same way I did trying it in the desktop/phone folder.

ls -l shows that I own adb, now that I've done that and ran chown in terminal ^_^

Specifically:

Again, thankyou for your help. I appreciate that you are busy, and are still extending guidance.
    HA! THAT IS IT!

You now fixed the copy of adb on your desktop, but you DIDN'T fix the copy in /usr/bin!

^_^ Ok, first try this:

//Replace theaceoffire with your name, k?

sudo chown theaceoffire:theaceoffire /usr/bin/adb
    sudo chmod +rwx /usr/bin/adb

^_^ THAT should make sure YOU own adb in the usr bin folder, and that it is executable, readable, and writable.

Also, if it keeps giving you issues, you can delete /usr/bin/adb with sudo and run this command at the very beginning in your terminal before doing anything:

PATH=$PATH:/path/to/your/copy/of/adb's/folder

So in my case, I would type:

PATH=$PATH:/home/theaceoffire/Desktop/phone/

and then I can run adb from anywhere, since I put adb in the ~/Desktop/phone folder.

//This second method is not permanent, when you close the terminal window you will have to retype the command again to fix the path next time.

Ha ha, I had a typo.

****Edit 1****

Specifically:

HA! THAT IS IT!

You now fixed the copy of adb on your desktop, but you DIDN'T fix the copy in /usr/bin!

^_^ Ok, first try this:

//Replace theaceoffire with your name, k?

sudo chown theaceoffire:theaceoffire /usr/bin/adb
    sudo chmod +rwx /usr/bin/adb

^_^ THAT should make sure YOU own adb in the usr bin folder, and that it is executable, readable, and writable.

Also, if it keeps giving you issues, you can delete /usr/bin/adb with sudo and run this command at the very beginning in your terminal before doing anything:

PATH=$PATH:/path/to/your/copy/of/adb's/folder

So in my case, I would type:

PATH=$PATH:~/Desktop/phone/

and then I can run adb from anywhere, since I put adb in the ~/Desktop/phone folder.

//This second method is not permanent, when you close the terminal window you will have to retype the command again to fix the path next time.
    It appears permissions are fixed in the home folder, but I may be typing the command for adb push incorrectly.
    I typed:

adb push /usr/bin/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rage

and received the error:

cannot stat '/usr/bin/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin': No such file or directory

I'm at a loss. I may be missing something that's glaring at me.

O.O

Well it should not be, right?

I assume rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin is found on your desktop, in a folder called phone.

If it was, the location would be "~/Desktop/phone/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin", thus the command would be:

adb push ~/Desktop/phone/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rage

At this point, before running anything, you should have the following:

In folder '/usr/bin':
    adb

In folder '~/Desktop/phone':
    rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    busybox
    su
    Superuser.apk

O.O

Well it should not be, right?

I assume rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin is found on your desktop, in a folder called phone.

If it was, the location would be "~/Desktop/phone/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin", thus the command would be:

adb push ~/Desktop/phone/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rage

At this point, before running anything, you should have the following:

In folder '/usr/bin':
    adb

In folder '~/Desktop/phone':
    rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    busybox
    su
    Superuser.apk
    I'm in!
    :D
    I was telling it to push from the wrong location, thinking I had to push from usr bin after chown.

Yay!!!!
    Thankyou LEAGUES.

I'm onto part 4 to make it permanent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links